IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

16 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I wasn't aware that retro games are sold on Vinted - I thought this was only for second hand clothing. Thank for the advice!

Prices at eBay are indeed pretty steep, but sometimes you do can find some rare games there. E.g. I got my black label PAL version of Pengo from eBay after searching for 4+ years across several European websites (including Kleinanzeigen and Tradera).

And to stay on topic: Yes, PAL Pengo works on the 2600+ 🙂

(picture below is not my copy, but just to show you what the cart looks like)

Who owns PAL Pengo (black picture label)? - Page 2 - Rarity Guide -  AtariAge Forums

It's a good game.  Be nice if Atari re-released it.  Because the prices are steep like you said.  

Buying Atari 7800 games on eBay is not going well unless you are willing to ourbid some buyers with deep pockets.

Still cannot get DK and DKJR for the 7800 for a reasonable price here in Canada.

Same goes for Pitfall II and H.E.R.O.  :(

• Sad 2

On 8/12/2024 at 10:07 AM, acidbottle said:

It's mostly a regional issue though, in particular, there are almost no bricks and mortar shops that sell Atari carts any more, plus very few online here also.

I had a weird dream for what i wanted to do for a living, and that was having a large lot dedicated to free range chickens, then selling those eggs at a farmers market with atari 2600 games, and the store would just be called "Eggs and Games"

If i ever get close to this venture i would love to let it be known that i would like to contribute as an official modern "Atari Dealer" especially since i wouldnt have to make my own instruction manuals for the loose games or repro carts i make!

Also i'd let you have a carton of eggs

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

Buying Atari 7800 games on eBay is not going well unless you are willing to ourbid some buyers with deep pockets.

Still cannot get DK and DKJR for the 7800 for a reasonable price here in Canada.

Same goes for Pitfall II and H.E.R.O.  :(

Honestly i feel like i'd need to inherit something from a family member to ever get an official NTSC 7800 Midnight Mutants, Ikari Warriors, Basketbrawl, Alien Brigade, Commando, ETC

So aside from talking about it til repro carts are available, i can just kinda pretend i have them :P

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

We could ask @Ben from Plaion if there is any interest on Atari's part and if there is maybe he could make a request to Sega.

We're gonna ping him while he's on vacation about what companies atari is interested in asking nicely for the rights for their old conversions/IPs?

Well if so i wonder which one Atari is nost interested in, at least that is able to be disclosed. Place bets!

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Let Ben enjoy his vacation 🙂 He already made clear that Atari themselves will announce new products, not Plaion.

I do not think that Ben's vacation is going to be ruined because he is getting notifications on AtariAge.

As far as announcements coming from Atari, that does not change the fact that he does a lot of the legwork himself.

On 8/6/2024 at 7:26 AM, JetmanUK said:

My CX24 finally arrived today. Here it is just before I cleaned it up.

IMG_1571.jpeg

I wish we had the CX78 back in the day instead of the CX24. The response on this controller is amazing especially for games like

Galaga. I really noticed a difference.😄 

IMG_1566.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Let Ben enjoy his vacation 🙂 He already made clear that Atari themselves will announce new products, not Plaion.

Ah, having a great time and lazing around reading Atari Age, it's all good. 

As for Pengo. Seems a bit of a curve ball, I wouldn't rule it out but there are clearly much bigger licenses to chase down. 

The amount of time and effort to get something to market is insane especially if it requires a third party license. So we have to ensure we aren't being busy fools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I do not think that Ben's vacation is going to be ruined because he is getting notifications on AtariAge.

As far as announcements coming from Atari, that does not change the fact that he does a lot of the legwork himself.

I enjoy reading the general enthusiasm and ideas that are here. It helps shape the thinking.

I'm travelling to Germany next week. My friends at Atari are also there, what could possibly be happening 😜

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1571.jpeg

I wish we had the CX78 back in the day instead of the CX24. The response on this controller is amazing especially for games like

IMG_1566.jpeg

Yup, 2600/7800 gameplay is in my opinion better with the CX78+. Feels natural. Bit that may be down to all the years where the dpad was the default control input for home consoles.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fred_M said:

I agree, he gave us (not me which is FINE... [obviously /lh /j]) blue button controllers for somethings sake!

I'm just gonna hope it includes Alien Brigade because i'd like to own that game and only spend $30 on it and let the man enjoy the kind of weather i myself am trying to escape :)

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1566.jpeg

and yet now that you all have the option I still have to PAY for CX24s... "They'll be giving them away after this!" i said to myself... damn!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I enjoy reading the general enthusiasm and ideas that are here. It helps shape the thinking.

I'm travelling to Germany next week. My friends at Atari are also there, what could possibly be happening 😜

Well thats good...

i'm not going to make a joke though or a meta joke about hinting at games i'd wanna play, even that is a broken record at this point.

But i'd hope thats not just what the Germans would have us believing...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I had a weird dream for what i wanted to do for a living, and that was having a large lot dedicated to free range chickens, then selling those eggs at a farmers market with atari 2600 games, and the store would just be called "Eggs and Games"

If i ever get close to this venture i would love to let it be known that i would like to contribute as an official modern "Atari Dealer" especially since i wouldnt have to make my own instruction manuals for the loose games or repro carts i make!

Haha! Well whatever it is you are smoking, I dont want any 😁 Can't beat some fried egg with the morning fry up mind you so cheers!

Though on the subject of Ikari Warriors, I do hope you have one of these https://thunderstickstudio.com/products/grs-super-joystick, you sprung to mind right away!

14 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

As for Pengo. Seems a bit of a curve ball, I wouldn't rule it out but there are clearly much bigger licenses to chase down. 

The amount of time and effort to get something to market is insane especially if it requires a third party license. So we have to ensure we aren't being busy fools.

It's good to know that Pengo wouldn't be ruled out.  Hopefully the game gets re-released someday.  

14 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup, 2600/7800 gameplay is in my opinion better with the CX78+. Feels natural. Bit that may be down to all the years where the dpad was the default control input for home consoles.

I too agree that the CX78+ is better.

19 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

People would buy a carton of eggs and get an Eggomania game.  Lol.

Vintage Stock EGGOMANIA - Atari 2600 - USED | Hamilton Place

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

and yet now that you all have the option I still have to PAY for CX24s... "They'll be giving them away after this!" i said to myself... damn!

I must be the only person who actually prefers the Pro-line controller over the CX78! 😂 I know they can break quite easily

I was fortunate enough to get one in mint almost brand new condition, and still in the original box.

• Like 2