IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

14 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

This week's haul, two NTSC 2600 games and two PAL 7800 games. 

IMG_20240822_214128.thumb.jpg.752b731e79a62ea220f080dd05944142.jpg

Mat Mania is actually a CIB copy, but I've already put it in its plastic protector and 'filed it'. 

The best game here, hmmm I feel is Frogger 2. Worst, the CIB game. 🤣 Although I imagine it would be fun in two player mode. 

Super Cobra is a lot more playable than my PAL copy and Planet Smashers is OK, actually both are overall not bad shooters. Frogger 2 is definitely the star of the show here. 

Just two loose NTSC games in the post and that's gonna be me until the newly released games I think. My house is full. 🤷🏻🤣

About Super Cobra NTSC vs PAL:

Not stretched, faster, less flicker?

Edit: And Pause mode?

Edited by DEANJIMMY

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

About Super Cobra NTSC vs PAL:

Not stretched, faster, less flicker?

Edit: And Pause mode?

Yep, and as the game has juddery scrolling it feels less juddery at the 60hz and a higher game speed. Still not exactly butter, but yeah, like many NTSC games it feels a lot more playable than it's PAL counterpart.

• Like 1

After yesterday's quartet of games one of my NTSC games landed today, finally... Snoopy!

Now I do recall Snoopy from my childhood and definitely had some merchandise of some sort, I think a flask. Over here in the UK he's definitely not that popular a character, perhaps he's of his time, maybe he was popular when I was very small, but you never see him around now. Is he still popular in the US?

Anyway, his game is a very polished one, nice graphics and sound.  It's a super simple shooter, and maybe leans on the audio/visual quality for its appeal a little too much... Overall a nice little game. 

Here my cart, in very nice condition!

IMG_20240823_140221.thumb.jpg.8f59d3a108537916bc510c56e5cb0dce.jpg

IMG_20240823_140202.thumb.jpg.c476a8ca02f47a8a03fde1c24700883a.jpg

I thought I'd photo it near some of my other retro gear, my awesome Sony Cassette deck*. Fantastic quality sound from this thing. Use a metal tape and Dolby S, I would defy you to notice the difference with a CD. Even with a Type 1 cassette it gives excellent results. Hi-fi, classic and new is another of my interests. Huge music fan. 🤟🏻😊

* Can anyone guess what the Sony separate is above it? 🤔😋

One game left to arrive, another cartoon character. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

After yesterday's quartet of games one of my NTSC games landed today, finally... Snoopy!

Now I do recall Snoopy from my childhood and definitely had some merchandise of some sort, I think a flask. Over here in the UK he's definitely not that popular a character, perhaps he's of his time and maybe he was popular when I was very small, but you never see him around now. Is he still popular in the US?

Anyway, hie game is a very polished one, nice graphics and sound.  It's a super simple shooter, and maybe leans on the audio/visual quality for its appeal a little too much... Overall a nice little game. 

I thought I'd photo it near some of my other retro gear, my awesome Sony Cassette deck*. Fantastic quality sound from this thing. Use a metal tape and Dolby S, I would defy you to notice the difference with a CD. Even with a Type 1 cassette it gives excellent results. Hi-fi, classic and new is another of my interests. Huge music fan. 🤟🏻😊

One game let to arrive, another cartoon character. 

I have this game as well.  It was the last cart I bought.  To answer your question about is he still popular in the US?  I would say he is.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Now I do recall Snoopy from my childhood and definitely had some merchandise of some sort, I think a flask. Over here in the UK he's definitely not that popular a character, perhaps he's of his time, maybe he was popular when I was very small, but you never see him around now. Is he still popular in the US?

Anyway, his game is a very polished one, nice graphics and sound.  It's a super simple shooter, and maybe leans on the audio/visual quality for its appeal a little too much... Overall a nice little game. 

One game left to arrive, another cartoon character. 

@JetmanUK Excellent copy of Snoopy and I love the 3 head SONY deck. I had one of their 3 head decks myself back in the '80s. Please post a couple photos of it and your setup in this thread. Loving it...thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

@JetmanUK Excellent copy of Snoopy and I love the 3 head SONY deck. I had one of their 3 head decks myself back in the '80s. Please post a couple photos of it and your setup in this thread. Loving it...thanks for sharing.

Thank you, I will.

I have two Hi-Fi stacks, one in the small TV room and one in the bigger living room, the primary one being in the living room. I will share some pics in that thread. )

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yep, and as the game has juddery scrolling it feels less juddery at the 60hz and a higher game speed. Still not exactly butter, but yeah, like many NTSC games it feels a lot more playable than it's PAL counterpart.

Ordered one for 14€ locally, so I save 15 -25€ for shipping it over the Atlantic 🤗

My PAL Super Cobra I got from a local shop, which closed 5 years ago😞

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Ordered one for 14€ locally, so I save 15 -25€ for shipping it over the Atlantic 🤗

My PAL Super Cobra I got from a local shop, which closed 5 years ago😞

Wow, the PAL version was that bad that the store had to shut!?! 😱😱😱🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2023 at 6:54 PM, Hawkeye68 said:

I cringe every time I see one of those B&W labels.  Tramiel-era corner-cutting gone berserk.

I do partially like them, but i kinda hope if a game is black and white in tbe future its for an asthetic reason and its done for a style

But yeah all the cost cutting kinda shot the company in the foot.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Snoopy and "Peanuts" in general are cultural institutions in the US. loved by children and adults.  Especially around holidays (Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, It's the Great Pumpkin, etc), but also just the decades worth of comics, games, toys, cartoons, TV specials and a few movies.  Yes he's generally popular.  Basically a little dog with a lot of personality who functions in a children's world as an almost-people who can do almost anything, and with a funny little bird for a best friend.  What's not to like?

Great little game though, and just a fun concept straight out of Snoopy's imagination.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Peanuts have been affiliated with NASA since 1968:

Snoopy joined NASA in 1968, as a mascot for the Manned Flight Awareness program (now called the Space Flight Awareness program), which was established in 1963.

Snoopy again made a trek to the moon in May 1969, when Apollo 10 blasted off with astronauts Gene Cernan, John Young, and Thomas Stafford for the final dress rehearsal before the actual landing in July. The lunar module, which flew to within 50,000 feet of the moon’s surface, was christened “Snoopy.” It seemed only right because its mission was to “snoop” around. In keeping with the Peanuts theme, the call-sign for the command and service module was Snoopy’s beleaguered owner, Charlie Brown.

“We realized that, by naming our spacecraft Charlie Brown and Snoopy, we could give the Snoopy Award a little more pizzazz, a little bit more exposure, and make it more meaningful,” Cernan later recalled.

The affiliation is still ongoing:

As Artemis I journeyed to the moon in November 2022, Snoopy was an astronaut inside the space capsule, where he served an important function: the zero G indicator.

I picked these up at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum last year:

IMG_3488.JPG.58757b0cf13a10737c998a8c94f

They go well with my favorite tie:

BA4F1B54-5A52-4D35-9191-190A42536BB1.jpe

And new Peanuts shows are still being made, such as the Snoopy in Space series:

As well as one offs like Welcome Home, Franklin which was released in February of this year:

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Charles M. Schulz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and they have a Snoopy (Flying Ace) in Terminal 1 (Minnesota Saint-Paul MPS). 

Why is almost everything awesome in Minneapolis? I feel as if its giving me signs to move there...

21 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Peanuts have been affiliated with NASA since 1968:

The affiliation is still ongoing:

I picked these up at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum last year:

IMG_3488.JPG.58757b0cf13a10737c998a8c94f

They go well with my favorite tie:

BA4F1B54-5A52-4D35-9191-190A42536BB1.jpe

And new Peanuts shows are still being made, such as the Snoopy in Space series:

As well as one offs like Welcome Home, Franklin which was released in February of this year:

Quite a collection! I see Snoopy is a big US icon. He really has zero presence here. 🤷🏻🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Quite a collection! I see Snoopy is a big US icon. He really has zero presence here. 🤷🏻🤣

I remember vaguely watching charlie brown and snoopy after school. More popular in the US. 

Back in the UK it was more Garfield, RugRats and Animaniacs etc.

4 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I remember vaguely watching charlie brown and snoopy after school. More popular in the US. 

For me, growing up, it was Super Friends and Where are you, Scooby Doo.  Would have loved to see those licenses used for the 2600.

• Like 1

Just now, TheRingBearer said:

For me, growing up, it was Super Friends and Where are you, Scooby Doo.  Would have loved to see those licenses used for the 2600.

of coarse, Scooby Doo, where are you? Very popular in the UK back in the day..

37 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

That's just a small sample of what I have.  I have more Peanuts ornaments for my xmas tree than I can use, as I downsized the tree a few years back.  Can see a few of them in this photo from 2019, including an Astronaut Snoopy on the bottom-right.

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.8759ae23a08c75e435a0232862c35d50.jpeg

Also have other Peanuts things like Hallmark's Christmas Dance Party from 2017:

Hallmark comes out with new Peanuts stuff all year round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I watched it often in Germany when I was a kid.

I always told my parents, I want to watch Penatus, as I could not say this English word right.

I found the kids like Lucy annoying sometimes but Snoopy was always pretty cool and hey, he shot down the Red Baron🤙

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shane857 said:

I would've thought heathclyf or whatever his name was would've been more british favored than garfield tbh, heathcliff screams a property that is surprisingly popular in europe... :D

I do vaguely remember seeing Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Woodstock, Linus and Lucy. But I do not recall any stories, I was very small. 

The cartoons I watched as a kid were Scooby Doo, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, @MrChickenz too 🤣, Transformers, He-Man, Inspector Gadget, loads more! I loved them as a kid. 

Transformers was my favourite out of those, and I had lots of the toys, they are probably quite valuable now. Shamefully they are still in my Dad's loft, unless he's chucked them! 😱🤣

EDIT:

The Racoons, Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds, Pole Position, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Dungeons and Dragons, Ulysses 31.

Cartoons had amazing theme tunes back then!

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I would've thought heathclyf or whatever his name was would've been more british favored than garfield tbh, heathcliff screams a property that is surprisingly popular in europe... :D

Yeh, Heathcliff was..ok. Garfield was actually more popular, in my home anyway..