IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

So many German carts, love it.

Well, and they never had the license...

Atlantis was released with hacked sprites as Strahlen der Teufelsvögel (Demon Beams) and rereleased as Krieg der Sterne (Star Wars), violating two licenses at once😅

A few years later Nintendo looked at Giana Sisters and it disappeared from any shop within a second😊

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Well toeing the company line its a minimum of four

Thanks. 

At least four purchases from me then, unless any are in a genre I'd really dislike, nah, I'd probably collect anyway! 🤷🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Atari version ever even had any art since it was discontinued, just text labels, although the box had some different artwork:

image.jpeg.b0455d8bae609aa1dd3770854c9b2cd8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6a5a3e0aaec5f12910909882aa35379.jpeg

On the plus side, game modes on the label?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Realistically I was thinking more a steady flow of enhanced versions of old games, the odd 4 in 1, some homebrews from on here with an official badge, original IP. Perhaps release ten this year. 

Absolutely DO NOT release that four pack of silver label reissues for worldwide purchase because I might end up buying them - not entirely joking because I would buy them and my credit card might have unkind words for me 😅

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Pretty sure this is my first Tele-Games cart, the early Outer Space (Star Ship), including Lunar Lander, an adaptation of an early text game.  I think I'm also getting the Sears exclusive Submarine Commander.

20240105_151746-Copy.thumb.jpg.3a707231b34b6c6ecb540c781675d3f8.jpg

I don't have this game, but for some reason, in my spare/duplicates box, I have the manual!

image.jpeg.75b0ca0285c0ce416c7494c7186d30e3.jpeg

• Like 8

Newly arrived in the post from Chermany and it appears it is indeed NTSC as it works just fine.

Never experienced this game and it’s quite impressive and features two different stages of play which I always enjoy. Great sound effects too! However it doesn’t scratch my Lunar Lander itch, so I must track down Outer Space!

I have two parcels coming from the States, one of which should arrive next week, being a boxed copy of Star Trek I’m rather excited for as I didn’t realise Sega did a 2600 port or I absolutely would have owned this as a kid.

My cart buying is slowing down (?) so I’m feeling like tracking down manuals or getting quality reporoductions. My printouts are fine, but some of the source scans on archive.org aren’t the greatest. If anyone can recommend a purveyor of quality reproduction manuals I’d appreciate it 😊

IMG_0312.jpeg

• Like 5

My bountiful harvest from yesterday:

20240105_113649.thumb.jpg.14e6be67cc7c6b747f1bd8af913e62f7.jpg

Those are all from Ebay. So, getting the mail yesterday was like Christmas. 😁

I'd never played the 2600 version, but I love Defender. I own multiple ports of the arcade version, and I find the 2600 version to be a good port. Fishing Derby is just some good fun, I decided to get it after @Brad_from_the_80s showed his copy. However, the one of these I was most excited about was Flash Gordon. I didn't even know that they made a game based off of one of my favorite movies until I saw it listed with a decent Buy it Now price. So, I nabbed it. It's a fun game, in fact it reminds me somewhat of Defender.

Today I'll be getting Jr. Pac-Man. I haven't played that in ages.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

My bountiful harvest from yesterday:

20240105_113649.thumb.jpg.14e6be67cc7c6b747f1bd8af913e62f7.jpg

Those are all from Ebay. So, getting the mail yesterday was like Christmas. 😁

I'd never played the 2600 version, but I love Defender. I own multiple ports of the arcade version, and I find the 2600 version to be a good port. Fishing Derby is just some good fun, I decided to get it after @Brad_from_the_80s showed his copy. However, the one of these I was most excited about was Flash Gordon. I didn't even know that they made a game based off of one of my favorite movies until I saw it listed with a decent Buy it Now price. So, I nabbed it. It's a fun game, in fact it reminds me somewhat of Defender.

Today I'll be getting Jr. Pac-Man. I haven't played that in ages.

As a kid who was a bit of a purist Defender on 2600 really disappointed me, but as an adult, it’s amazing they managed an attempt as playable as this 😁👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sean_1970 said:

As a kid who was a bit of a purist Defender on 2600 really disappointed me, but as an adult, it’s amazing they managed an attempt as playable as this 😁👍

Isn't it interesting how a more mature perspective will make you appreciate something? I had the same thing with Ms. Pac-Man. As a kid, I played the 5200 and 7800 versions and I thought they were great. Then I saw the 2600 version and thought it was the worst. As and adult, I can appreciate how close to the arcade version it really is. It's not perfect, but they really did a great job on it, much better than Pac-Man.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I love the quirks of Defender on the Atari. Your ship and your shot can't exist on screen at the same time, so if you just spam the shoot button you're invisible and basically invincible.  And I love the look of the little city replacing the mountains of the arcade version.

However! Even more amazing is Stargate (aka Defender 2) which came out just a few years later and is basically a perfect port with very little compromise. I guess they got a LOT better at programming for the Atari!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That would be good.  What about if Atari gave us a better version of Tempest on the 2600 and included a spinner?

Given spinners use an encoding wheel like the driving controller (I know because I’m one of the weirdos that used the guts of a driving controller to build a spinner to play Tempest 2000 on the Jag, for which Minter had hidden compatibility), why not a #-in-1 cart for a new one of those including it and Indy 500 (did any other games use it)?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

I love the quirks of Defender on the Atari. Your ship and your shot can't exist on screen at the same time, so if you just spam the shoot button you're invisible and basically invincible.  And I love the look of the little city replacing the mountains of the arcade version.

However! Even more amazing is Stargate (aka Defender 2) which came out just a few years later and is basically a perfect port with very little compromise. I guess they got a LOT better at programming for the Atari!

I recently acquired it and it’s quite a technical achievement in colour, sound and enemy design more faithful to the arcade. It’s not as fast-paced as Defender so I still play both 😁

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

That is definitely better than most of the Tele-games carts I’ve seen 😂

And I didn’t realise Star Ship included a Lunar Lander game mode. Depending upon whether or not my Moonsweeper cart works and scratches that itch I might have to track one of those down myself 🤔

Lunar Lander on Starship/OuterSpace is nothing like the arcade game Lunar Lander, just FYI.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Just tested the only PAL cart in my collection (Meteor Defense) and it works. This game is similar to Astroblast (M Network) except it’s vertically oriented. It’s an okay game. I love the artwork and purchased it because of the artwork.

IMG_2973.jpeg

It's neat how they did artwork back then.  There's just something about it.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

Lunar Lander on Starship/OuterSpace is nothing like the arcade game Lunar Lander, just FYI.

Ah cheers for that, just checked the manual. Well I do have it on Atari Classics and Atari 50 on PS5 and the Couchcade, so I’m covered. Surprised they didn’t attempt a more faithful version. It’s not too demanding a game! Man that artwork though 😏

I’m thinking of a return to Chicago in the fall to visit more with family, so I’m thinking I should save something for the hunt as well 😉

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Newly arrived in the post from Chermany and it appears it is indeed NTSC as it works just fine.

Never experienced this game and it’s quite impressive and features two different stages of play which I always enjoy. Great sound effects too! However it doesn’t scratch my Lunar Lander itch, so I must track down Outer Space!

I have two parcels coming from the States, one of which should arrive next week, being a boxed copy of Star Trek I’m rather excited for as I didn’t realise Sega did a 2600 port or I absolutely would have owned this as a kid.

My cart buying is slowing down (?) so I’m feeling like tracking down manuals or getting quality reporoductions. My printouts are fine, but some of the source scans on archive.org aren’t the greatest. If anyone can recommend a purveyor of quality reproduction manuals I’d appreciate it 😊

IMG_0312.jpeg

Yes, I guess with less text on the label it is NTSC. My PAL looks slightly different.

20231215_224818.jpg

19 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

I have Defender, 2600 version, and it plays great on my 2600+ console. I'm impressed with how well they were able to recreate that game considering the limitations of the 2600.

I used to enjoy occasionally playing the coin-op Defender and Stargate games in the arcades back in the day, or sometimes just enjoy watching a friend play (I recall I had a friend who was really good at it).

Thanks for the tip about being invincible when firing (I guess I hadn't yet played enough of the 2600 version to realize it).

I really want to get Defender 2 / Stargate, it looks even more awesome than Defender. Though it seems there's not much availability of it on places like Ebay (the main place I've been getting my cartridges for my growing Atari 2600 and 7800 games collection), and what I do find (mostly in the US, not my country, so currency conversion and shipping ends up being steeper too) the prices can be unreasonable to crazy high. So, hopefully I'll be able to eventually find one for a reasonable price. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

That would be good.  What about if Atari gave us a better version of Tempest on the 2600 and included a spinner?

If Atari can get the Driving Controllers to work with the 2600+ (or make a new version of the Driving Controller, much like they did for the Paddles), maybe that could work with an updated version of Tempest. :)

Well, we can hope.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Man if I could dump newly manufactured carts of the entire 2600 catalogue on the market I would.

Unfortunately it's not that easy.

But a few will be announced hopefully next week to go with the new accessories previously mentioned.

I'm afraid to buy anything more on ebay until I learn what games Atari is going to announce next week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

I really want to get Defender 2 / Stargate, it looks even more awesome than Defender. Though it seems there's not much availability of it on places like Ebay (the main place I've been getting my cartridges for my growing Atari 2600 and 7800 games collection), and what I do find (mostly in the US, not my country, so currency conversion and shipping ends up being steeper too) the prices can be unreasonable to crazy high. So, hopefully I'll be able to eventually find one for a reasonable price. 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9039534645981688702?q=defender+2+atari+2600&prds=epd:10969154647503977115,eto:10969154647503977115_0,pid:8889365628529293812,rsk:CID_9039534645981688702&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDsPOBiMmDAxUGLFkFHbE3CnwQ9pwGCAs

• Like 1