IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

3 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

I'm afraid to buy anything more on ebay until I learn what games Atari is going to announce next week.

I look forward to seeing what Atari announces next.

In the meantime though, if you do see on Ebay (or elsewhere) a game you wanted and for a reasonable / cheap price, it could still be worth to grab it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

"The product could not be found." is what I get.

Anyways, no worries, no hurries. There's several Atari games on my wish-list that hopefully I'll gradually be able to find and get for a reasonable / cheap price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Aren't those cases made to be not opened? Otherwise you could swap in an inferior copy and pass it off as a more valuable one. I'm only into collecting games I can actually play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysticSword said:

"The product could not be found." is what I get.

Anyways, no worries, no hurries. There's several Atari games on my wish-list that hopefully I'll gradually be able to find and get for a reasonable / cheap price.

That's odd.  I clicked on the link and it went right to it.  Try this one: https://thenerdporium.com/products/defender-ii-atari-2600?variant=41042519457836&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOooDqPik1KYkQd53I_7ZlpbL13MJqvCq26CV0k4frpNZtI4uOAv9ESM&com_cvv=d30042528f072ba8a22b19c81250437cd47a2f30330f0ed03551c4efdaf3409e

2 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

Aren't those cases made to be not opened? Otherwise you could swap in an inferior copy and pass it off as a more valuable one. I'm only into collecting games I can actually play.

I'm not sure.  I guess you could open it or just keep it sealed.  I would open it though, but that's just me.  

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

Ah cheers for that, just checked the manual. Well I do have it on Atari Classics and Atari 50 on PS5 and the Couchcade, so I’m covered. Surprised they didn’t attempt a more faithful version. It’s not too demanding a game! Man that artwork though 😏

I’m thinking of a return to Chicago in the fall to visit more with family, so I’m thinking I should save something for the hunt as well 😉

Yeah, the Star Ship Lunar Lander is not quite what you might expect.  Technically there is a lunar module, there is a moon, there is a thrust rocket, but...   this is an early game, part of a parcel of late 70s games that were all discontinued because they didn't really sell.  It has some ambitious 3D game play in the main games, but ultimately is a bit klunky.  Also this game oddly expects use of the right controller.  It has some minor historical significance, and the artwork is nice.  It's interesting when Tele-Games have artwork at all and then it somehow matches/bests the Atari artwork. 

However, although I don't know if it works in 2600+, there is this:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1099

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glorkbot said:

I love the quirks of Defender on the Atari. Your ship and your shot can't exist on screen at the same time, so if you just spam the shoot button you're invisible and basically invincible.  And I love the look of the little city replacing the mountains of the arcade version.

However! Even more amazing is Stargate (aka Defender 2) which came out just a few years later and is basically a perfect port with very little compromise. I guess they got a LOT better at programming for the Atari!

I've had Stargate here for a few weeks now, and it is nice.  It apparently supports two controllers, but not strictly necessary.  I've played original 2600 Defender, and I like it for what it is, but since I have Stargate the old Defender has been more on my "I'll get that some day maybe" non-priority list, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

My cart buying is slowing down (?) so I’m feeling like tracking down manuals or getting quality reporoductions. My printouts are fine, but some of the source scans on archive.org aren’t the greatest. If anyone can recommend a purveyor of quality reproduction manuals I’d appreciate it 😊

I'm only trying to collect manuals as PDF on my tablet, and I've gotten behind in that.  But you're right, the archive.org scans are often old and incredibly poor resolution.  Sometimes I randomly find a good copy elsewhere.

As a last resort, if they exist, AtariAge or AtariMania will sometimes have good quality full page scans of the manuals as individual images.  You can download all of these, zip them up into a CBZ and print or convert to a PDF (there are online tools that will do this for you).  Small bit of work, but the best I can do sometimes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

I think I need to learn how you sell on eBay, this is most of my duplicates (mixture of PAL/NTSC)

Don't know what I was thinking really!

image.thumb.jpeg.e71030c82ca25f225c04c162fbd461fc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10b7ef06c8ae5ab6ab41c69d448482b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6d0993b4ca91317e3c1b1d71c1180ea8.jpeg

Krull and Snoopy are on my wanted list. Are you in the UK?

Edit - Maybe Backgammon too. 

Edited by JetmanUK

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Krull and Snoopy are on my wanted list. Are you in the UK?

Edit - Maybe Backgammon too. 

Hi JetmanUK, yes am in UK

I'm happy to let you have the Krull with a missing end label (and no manual) for free

I got it from a US seller for free and it seems only fair to pass it on for free to someone who'd like it

The Snoopy though owes me a fair chunk of money and I think it needs to go to an auction (it's one of the rarest duplicates I have)

9 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Hi JetmanUK, yes am in UK

I'm happy to let you have the Krull with a missing end label (and no manual) for free

I got it from a US seller for free and it seems only fair to pass it on for free to someone who'd like it

The Snoopy though owes me a fair chunk of money and I think it needs to go to an auction (it's one of the rarest duplicates I have)

Ah thank you! 

I'll have a look at my dupes, but they aren't as exciting as yours... Basically Pac-man, combat and asteroids (I think).

2 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Received my other Tele-Games cart today, the exclusive Submarine Commander.  Not a bad little game at all.  This cart has lain on a hot surface, melting the plastic slightly, but it still works fine.

20240106_131147-Copy.thumb.jpg.0d14ea848255e237ad8af2518783d94d.jpg20240106_131202-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb0afad8d982229617761adf73a65afd.jpg

Is this the game where the sonar noise keeps going off and it's quite slow? Other than that it looks quite fun. 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

So far so good. I'm going to give it a good play tonight and maybe tomorrow, and then I'll post my maze-shooter tier list 

Nice. 

Still waiting for my Room or Doom here. It's still in Australia according to the tracking. 🤣

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Nice. 

Still waiting for my Room or Doom here. It's still in Australia according to the tracking. 🤣

I'm keen to see what you make of it. It has 64 variations!! 

I usually play game 5: the normal game but faster

IMG_20240106_193807.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm keen to see what you make of it. It has 64 variations!! 

I usually play game 5: the normal game but faster

IMG_20240106_193807.jpg

Thanks for posting the matrix. 👍🏻

Yeah I watched the No Swear Gamer video, he's always a good source for a quick 2600 review, other formats too. He said there's a lot of variety.

I've had a quick play of the ROM, but have a policy of a quick play only so I don't spoil the new to me game experience on cart too much. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Is this the game where the sonar noise keeps going off and it's quite slow? Other than that it looks quite fun. 👍🏻

Not blazing action but I wouldn't call it particularly slow with enemy ships constantly appearing and shooting torpedoes in pseudo-3D.  Maybe you're thinking about that Sonar prototype they found?

1 minute ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Not blazing action but I wouldn't call it particularly slow with enemy ships constantly appearing and shooting torpedoes in pseudo-3D.  Maybe you're thinking about that Sonar prototype they found?

Ah yeah it's definitely a different game. I need to check which I'm thinking of. I saw a video review on YouTube.