IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

21 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yes.  I ordered a custom twin stick controller from BD Retro Mods.  It's called the Atari Dual Stick Controller.  A bit pricey but I believe it's worth it.  He has a website and an Etsy shop too.  You can also do email as well.  That's how I ordered it.

Here's the link to the website.  https://www.bdretromods.com/

From the website you can click his email link and access his Etsy shop.

I've seen this Etsy shop. Sadly he does not ship to the UK

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's a bummer.  Maybe you can find a seller who makes the dual stick controller and ships to the UK.  

I've been looking but no luck so far.

I've got quite a few different 2600 controllers so I might try to fashion my own rudimentary dock/cradle/coupler 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yes.  I ordered a custom twin stick controller from BD Retro Mods.  It's called the Atari Dual Stick Controller.  A bit pricey but I believe it's worth it.  He has a website and an Etsy shop too.  You can also do email as well.  That's how I ordered it.

Here's the link to the website.  https://www.bdretromods.com/

From the website you can click his email link and access his Etsy shop.

Nice. Robotron deserves a good twin-stick. With the proper controller, this is one home console game that really delivers the arcade experience. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the classic 2600 Space Invaders on the way.  It's a loose cart with the text label.  But that's fine.  Also, I'm still waiting on my package from Retro Raven.  It's the 5 games that I posted about before.

I am also awaiting some carts from Retro Raven, they look like a good find.

I have a couple of sellers I like on eBay too, one USA based and one Germany.

Most of the UK eBay sellers are one and done purchases, I don't go back to them much, they either have little stock/main stream carts we all have and/or are vastly overpriced.

Anyway, I will be slowing down soon, until the avalanche of new stuff from Atari/Plaion arrives. (Maybe on both acount there!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've got quite a few different 2600 controllers so I might try to fashion my own rudimentary dock/cradle/coupler 

This might be on interest to you.  It's currently unavailable.  Not sure if he ships outside the US.  It does work on the 2600+ according to the description. 

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-7800-robotron-controller-control-pad-gamepad-joystick?variant=39281511497783

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

This controller won't dig into your palm.  I have it and it's comfortable.  

Trooper" Premium Controller for 2600/ RetroN 77 Hyperkin - Walmart.com

I have two of those. They're really nice and high quality, as long as you got one from a later batch where the joystick didn't snap off in the heat of battle. But, even though I like those, I still play with the CX-40+.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I have two of those. They're really nice and high quality, as long as you got one from a later batch where the joystick didn't snap off in the heat of battle. But, even though I like those, I still play with the CX-40+.

I wanted the one with the darker color.  It was shown as that from Stone Age Gamer where I got it from.  But it ended up being the older version which is fine.  Hopefully it doesn't break on me.  I got it for a good price.  I prefer this joystick mainly because the stick moves better.  I can't use the CX-40+.  I tried but I need something that works for me and the Hyperkin Trooper is it.  I also use other controllers/joysticks as well.  It's good to have options.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

I wanted the one with the darker color.  It was shown as that from Stone Age Gamer where I got it from.  But it ended up being the older version which is fine.  Hopefully it doesn't break on me.  I got it for a good price.  I prefer this joystick mainly because the stick moves better.  I can't use the CX-40+.  I tried but I need something that works for me and the Hyperkin Trooper is it.  I also use other controllers/joysticks as well.  It's god to have options.

I’ve had my Trooper since it first came out. Hasn’t snapped yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I wanted the one with the darker color.  It was shown as that from Stone Age Gamer where I got it from.  But it ended up being the older version which is fine.  Hopefully it doesn't break on me.  I got it for a good price.  I prefer this joystick mainly because the stick moves better.  I can't use the CX-40+.  I tried but I need something that works for me and the Hyperkin Trooper is it.  I also use other controllers/joysticks as well.  It's god to have options.

I hope it doesn't break on you too. But, I believe that was only happening with some of the very early batches and Hyperkin released fixed versions years ago. So, hopefully any current stock is the fixed version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/233557376702?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=jQlvHMW6TKm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BvHDnFjVQp6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For this purpose I use such a unijoysticle2. This an old edition but it works well on the 2600+ if you give power via usb to it, before you connect it to the 2600+ (new versions could have issues and I do not recommend the C64 version!).

You can connect two pads or joysticks via Bluetooth.

I connect either an Arcade Stick🕹 or a modern pad like a dualsense 🎮.

On the device you can press a button for enhanced mode, then you have J1 on left and J2 on right stick of a single pad and get one button per stick.

That works very well for Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter, Stargate, Radar Lock...

I always prefer Joysticks but Twinstick games 🕹🕹work very well with a modern 🎮 pad🤙

20231215_173425.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

This controller won't dig into your palm.  I have it and it's comfortable.  

Trooper" Premium Controller for 2600/ RetroN 77 Hyperkin - Walmart.com

Thanks for posting this. How much better than a CX40 is it? It's all opinions I know. 

I am a little sceptical, not because I think it would be bad, but more because I have always held the CX40 up there as the second best joystick ever, and only second best by a slim margin, I use one right now instead of my PowerPlay Cruiser (No.1) as the nostalgia factor makes me like it more than my number 1. 

Does it use microswitches?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Does it use microswitches?

No.

Honestly it’s a nice, ambidextrous joystick. I like it but wouldn’t say that it’s better than a well maintained CX-10 (micro switches) or CX-40. I love CX10s/40s and have several in my collection. If you want to stick with the CX-40 I recommend you check out Best Electronics. They sell parts to upgrade your js and also sell fully upgraded ones. I have two pairs of their fully upgraded CX-40 joysticks and they are excellent. It has a silcone boot and the cable is really long, IIRC it’s 7 feet. Below are a couple of pic's of one of my daily drivers. You can read all about the controller here.

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Thanks for posting this. How much better than a CX40 is it? It's all opinions I know. 

You're welcome.  I'd say it's better to me than the CX40+.  I like the Hyperkin Trooper for the stick movement being more flexible.  I don't like a stiff joystick, D-pad or buttons.  Everything has to be just right.  Like Goldilocks.  Lol.  

I did like the AT Games joystick when I had the Atari FB9.  It had about the same movement as the Hyperkin Trooper.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

You're welcome.  I'd say it's better to me than the CX40+.  I like the Hyperkin Trooper for the stick movement being more flexible.  I don't like a stiff joystick, D-pad or buttons.  Everything has to be just right.  Like Goldilocks.  Lol.  

I did like the AT Games joystick when I had the Atari FB9.  It had about the same movement as the Hyperkin Trooper.

Ah that's interesting. I don't have that At stick, but I do have the 50th anniversary gold and it's sticks. They feel super loose and kinda dreadful when handled, but when actually played with I think they are ok. I wonder if they are the same. 

• Like 1