IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Just now, JetmanUK said:

I have this on the way. Is it any good? 

I've only had 2 quick plays to far, but seems really good. I guess a little bit like a slower Mr Run and Jump, with a higher and more floaty jump.

The graphics and music are amazing

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've only had 2 quick plays to far, but seems really good. I guess a little bit like a slower Mr Run and Jump, with a higher and more floaty jump.

The graphics and music are amazing

I've played this before as a ROM.  I remember the high floaty jump. Never got that far since I didn't play much of it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Intellivision Master said:

I've played this before as a ROM.  I remember the high floaty jump. Never got that far since I didn't play much of it.  

I'll let you know after I play some more, but I was surprised by how much it reminded me of Mr Run and Jump. Even the mechanic where you start with a certain score that ticks down to encourage you to play fast is very similar, even though implemented in a slightly different way. The score always ticks down, but you get a point bonus on each new screen

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'll let you know after I play some more, but I was surprised by how much it reminded me of Mr Run and Jump. Even the mechanic where you start with a certain score that ticks down to encourage you to play fast is very similar, even though implemented in a slightly different way. The score always ticks down, but you get a point bonus on each new screen

That's really interesting to hear. Is it as tricky too?

4 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've been looking but no luck so far.

I've got quite a few different 2600 controllers so I might try to fashion my own rudimentary dock/cradle/coupler 

Retrogameboyz does - I’ve got a twin stick joypad coming from him now. £76 including postage and looks pretty smart:

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-7800-robotron-controller-control-pad-gamepad-joystick?variant=39281511497783

Posted this before seeing Intellivision Master’s post. Be aware he advises 6-8 weeks as it’s a “side hustle” 😁👍

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Retrogameboyz does - I’ve got a twin stick joypad coming from him now. £76 including postage and looks pretty smart:

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-7800-robotron-controller-control-pad-gamepad-joystick?variant=39281511497783

Posted this before seeing Intellivision Master’s post. Be aware he advises 6-8 weeks as it’s a “side hustle” 😁👍

I ordered one as well.  I barely played Robotron because of the 7800 painline joysticks.  I've had my copy since the '80s. 

I would have just used the old joysticks, but after I got my 7800 during high school, mom gave away my old Sears heavy sixer and the joysticks to some of my cousins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Damn. I want this now. I have a 2600 Plus, I have Robotron, I love Robotron.. hmmm.

Are there any other twin stick games that we could use this with?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Damn. I want this now. I have a 2600 Plus, I have Robotron, I love Robotron.. hmmm.

Are there any other twin stick games that we could use this with?

I don’t think so. I was hoping Space Dungeon (Sega colour vector arcade game) had a 7800 port, but sadly not. Unless there’s a homebrew game? Defender II/Stargate uses the right stick for a couple things, but the fire button is smart bomb and I’m not sure if the second button on that pad is recognised in a 2600 game.  I was thinking it might be neat to try to convert to USB and play twin stick games on MAME, but given it’s got two cables I rather doubt there’s an adapter for it.

Im a big fan of Robotron and it seems a quality port and saves me booting my computer, so it’s worth it. Plus it’s a game pad I can use to play whatever on 2600+ with the left stick if nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/233557376702?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=jQlvHMW6TKm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BvHDnFjVQp6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For this purpose I use such a unijoysticle2. This an old edition but it works well on the 2600+ if you give power via usb to it, before you connect it to the 2600+ (new versions could have issues and I do not recommend the C64 version!).

You can connect two pads or joysticks via Bluetooth.

I connect either an Arcade Stick🕹 or a modern pad like a dualsense 🎮.

On the device you can press a button for enhanced mode, then you have J1 on left and J2 on right stick of a single pad and get one button per stick.

That works very well for Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter, Stargate, Radar Lock...

I always prefer Joysticks but Twinstick games 🕹🕹work very well with a modern 🎮 pad🤙

20231215_173425.jpg

🎮 = 🕹🕹

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Just wanted to say that this is a fun thread with lots of old and new members.  I got excited seeing all the new discoveries happening for people when reading the first few pages.

It is fun.  And I'm sure it would be just as fun and interesting if all we had to compare were our flash carts that some people wanted so bad, lol  :P

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yes, it is.

There is follow up game called Lilly Adventure🤙

20240110_223523.jpg

And whats the sequel like? Do I have to head off to eBay and spend more money?! 🤷🏻🤦🏻🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Do you think whoever designed the box art for Outlaw was a Clint Eastwood fan?

the-outlaw-josey-wales-clint-eastwood-movie-poster-thomas-pollart.jpg

Wow - that's as much of a direct rip-off as the Space Invaders cover was for the Boston album!

• Like 1

What is this I am posting? A fleabay pic? Well, one of the more expensive carts off my wishlist! It was ok, just under 20 quid with postage. Not too bad at all. 🙌🏻 Should arrive on Saturday. Screenshot_2024-01-10-22-27-15-408_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.130973d8a705b7e3b3680acc40d543d8.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

So I'd just need two extension cables for the joystick ports and a usb cable to my controller? I could then use an Xbox controller right? 

With two extension 9pol cables (good quality! 2600+ is sensible, Atari will release their own) you connect this unijoysticle2 from the ebay link to your 2600+, AFTER you connected usb power to it (the 2600+ does not provide enough power via its 9pol ports!).

Any controller gets connected via bluetooth.

You just need to know how to set your Xbox controller in pairing mode.

You can connect two controllers or just one and press the enhanced mode button on the device to map both ports on one pad.

Here you find more info

https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/blob/main/docs/user_guide.md

The original unijoysticle2 from the ebay link works very good with the 2600+

The C64 version works with real 7800 giving you A/B buttons but fails on the 2600+ (continous fire), I have no experience with the 800XL or A500 version.

So, it does not give you A/B buttons but the twinstick mode.

For A/B buttons I use a Mega7800 and an 8bitdo Genesis receiver or just my self built arcade stick. The Proline Joysticks or the pad are not used anymore, even I have some of them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

With two extension 9pol cables (good quality! 2600+ is sensible, Atari will release their own) you connect this unijoysticle2 from the ebay link to your 2600+, AFTER you connected usb power to it (the 2600+ does not provide enough power via its 9pol ports!).

Any controller gets connected via bluetooth.

You just need to know how to set your Xbox controller in pairing mode.

You can connect two controllers or just one and press the enhanced mode button on the device to map both ports on one pad.

Here you find more info

https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/blob/main/docs/user_guide.md

The original unijoysticle2 from the ebay link works very good with the 2600+

The C64 version works with real 7800 giving you A/B buttons but fails on the 2600+ (continous fire), I have no experience with the 800XL or A500 version.

So, it does not give you A/B buttons but the twinstick mode.

For A/B buttons I use a Mega7800 and an 8bitdo Genesis receiver or just my self built arcade stick. The Proline Joysticks or the pad are not used anymore, even I have some of them.

Thank you. 

I am much more likely to go for this than the controller, it's more versatile. Shame that the postage is so much, but I might dip into eBay yet again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

It looks like a fun game.  Perhaps a port of it can come out for the 7800 or maybe the 2600.  I'm not aware of any homebrew of Space Dungeon.

I played it in an arcade long ago - quite a fun and very challenging “maze shooter” and twin stick game that would be in everyone’s top 5 I’m sure. I don’t like the fiddly nature of MAME and wish I could buy a cheap console that I could run my ROMs through instead, but it does allow me to play old games like this 😁

• Like 2