IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

@jeremiahjt @Major Havoc 2049 @Dr Karnov

There are so many in this genre that perhaps we do all need to do our personal top ten from our personal collections. This genre is a beast compared to the maze shooter!

I have Demons to Diamonds, Air Sea Battle, Astroblast, Encounter at L5, Carnival (I really like this one too), some others I'd forgot! I need to check my collection.

But yeah a top ten a 'Non scrolling shooter' is a good category I think. Within that description let it be as broad as you like.

...After this I'd like to talk top ten 'Scrolling shooter', with an ultimate goal, no spoilers, but let's not muddy the water here yet. :P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MysticSword said:

From my gradually growing collection of Atari 2600 game cartridges (since I got my Atari 2600 Plus about a month or so ago), here's what I currently have for what I might consider non-scrolling shooters.

I like them all in their own way (and some more than others), and depending on my mood I could decide to play one over the other, so it's hard to say particular rankings.

Though from this selection of nine games, (as shown in the photo from left-to-right top row then left-to-right bottom row), this might be my ranking, starting with the top-left (Asteroids) as a top favorite;

#1: Asteroids

#2: Galaxian

#3: Missile Command (Included on the 10-in-1 cartridge that comes with the 2600+)

#4: Millipede

#5: Encounter at L-5 (I just got this one yesterday. Quite good actually once getting used to the controls. A fairly unique paddle game I thought)

#6: Astro Blast (Seems to require a paddle controller to be able to play it on the 2600+ console, which I think it's a really good and fun paddle controller game).

#7: Demon Attack

#8: Space Invaders (a classic for sure)

#9: Carnival (It's a 'so-so / ok' game for me. Still can be fun in short duration.)

I have more games on the way, so this list could change or be updated accordingly.

Atari_2600_Fav_Non_Scroll_Shooter_Games_01a.thumb.JPG.917309c9e4cfd71261f5bc68a6195bc2.JPG

Great list! These lists will help us all examine our collections... and grow them where we see a new game or two (maybe more :P)

I really like Carnival, something about the shooting mechanic is so nice, it just feels good to me.

• Like 1

My big order from Retro Raven arrived today, ahead of estimate, which I like and I got an email this morning stating it was due to be delivered today. Nice packaging: two stacks of four carts surrounded by bubble wrap in what looks like a new corrugated cardboard box. Each cart can be seen to be in its own bag - I guess it shouldn’t be surprising you can get Mylar for carts by now 😂

I’ve only played a few of these and previously owned two, so I’m looking forward to a session later today 😁

IMG_0314.jpeg

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yes, that's why I had to get rid of 80% of my boxes😉

Nintendo Switch might be my last collection because these were still cartridges. But they are alreday seperated from their boxes, to maybe gain some space later.

Some years ago my wife wanted new furniture for the living room. I designed the Ikea around our needs to store things😉

In my little office I have my few boxes not behind closed doors, nice to watch them🤗

But since home office became en vogue, I need some space in there for... well... my office😅

20240112_065714.jpg

20231228_170728.jpg

20231228_155947.jpg

Haha, yeah, my home office (I call it my music room, but it's my music/guitar/gaming stuff/no longer suitable to be an office so I work in the kitchen room) is full of stuff. 🤦🏻 I would be ashamed to post a photo. Your place is looking good!

You are right about boxes, I have been a box keeper, but many just had to go recently. I am obvioulsy keeping my 2600 Plus (and joystick and paddle boxes), Gamestation Pro and Evercade ones, for a while at least. 😬🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm not going to include games with unlimited movement (Asteroids, Gravitar) or no movement (Missile Command, Commando Raid).

Mainly because I don't want my cart stack to topple over!

Come on, where's your sense of adventure!

You can always glue the carts together! :P

29 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

My big order from Retro Raven arrived today, ahead of estimate, which I like and I got an email this morning stating it was due to be delivered today. Nice packaging: two stacks of four carts surrounded by bubble wrap in what looks like a new corrugated cardboard box. Each cart can be seen to be in its own bag - I guess it shouldn’t be surprising you can get Mylar for carts by now 😂

I’ve only played a few of these and previously owned two, so I’m looking forward to a session later today 😁

IMG_0314.jpeg

A nice selection! You are in for some fun.

I have placed two orders with these guys and I too would like to share how well they were packed... which is good as I saw the courier drop the parcel onto my stoney front area... twice. 😬 I was out...gotta love video doorbell recordings though. It's probably had a rougher ride than that on the way anyway. 🤷🏻🤣

A second order should come today. I foolishly missed some stuff I'd like, so had to make a second purchase, ah well.

I do need to say though, Taz was one of my games and both plastic prongs are missing, I have emailed them about this. They should not sell broken carts. Using the cart on a 2600 Plus is a good way to bend the prongs in the slot. The larger cart slot makes it easy to miss-seat a cart with no prongs. Even forcing it into the woody console is not good either, although I haven't tried that yet. Let’s see what they say.

Other than this Retro Raven do have a nice points scheme and they delivered well ahead of schedule.👍🏻

Edited by JetmanUK

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

You wait until you see the terrible job I did at patching up my broken Turmoil cart!!

🤣

Please share!

I am imagining lots of tape round and round it.

A doner cart off ebay would do the trick, new shell, sorted. 👍🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

🤣

Please share!

I am imagining lots of tape round and round it.

A doner cart off ebay would do the trick, new shell, sorted. 👍🏻

I'll pop a picture on here later. I used 2 halves of a light fitting and loads of tape. It looks absolutely horrendous 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'll pop a picture on here later. I used 2 halves of a light fitting and loads of tape. It looks absolutely horrendous 

Sorry, I think your phone has done you here, a predictive text error.... You just said you used a LIGHT FITTING.  🤣🤣 No really. You couldn't have done that....

😬🤣😝

• Haha 1

Just now, JetmanUK said:

Sorry, I think your phone has done you here, a predictive text error.... You just said you used a LIGHT FITTING.  🤣🤣 No really. You couldn't have done that....

😬🤣😝

To be fair, it sounds like engineering genius.

It's made me think back to the Apollo 13 movie where they had to make something out of a box of stuff that they knew was on the rocket. You're a NASA engineer aren't you! 😝🤪🤣

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Okay, imagine the worst possible combination of 2 pieces of plastic taped to a cart that's snapped in half.

It looks worse than whatever you're imagining 

Souund's like a must see to me. 🤷🏻😁

Edited by JetmanUK

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

To be fair, it sounds like engineering genius.

It's made me think back to the Apollo 13 movie where they had to make something out of a box of stuff that they knew was on the rocket. You're a NASA engineer aren't you! 😝🤪🤣

Dr Karnov, sat at his kitchen table, broken Turmoil cart in hand...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I tested the 5 games from Retro Raven.  They all work which is good.  I'm waiting to test Robotron 2084 once I have the twin stick controller.

The Space Invaders cart is delayed.  I thought it was coming today but that's not the case.  

That's good to hear.

My second order has arrived... I have not tried any of the carts as yet. However Pole Position 2 also has both plastic prongs missing. Maybe I have been unlucky here.

I have contacted them regardung this one too. I will clean all the carts and try them out later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

That's good to hear.

My second order has arrived... I have not tried any of the carts as yet. However Pole Position 2 also has both plastic prongs missing. Maybe I have been unlucky here.

I have contacted them regardung this one too. I will clean all the carts and try them out later.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with some carts.  

• Like 1

After all this about broken prongs I had to double-check and mine are all having prongs. The Atari-branded carts even have panels, which was a surprise with Midnight Magic as I figured from the label it was from the era of Solaris and my Atari-branded Mouse Trap, which both have those annoying 7800 holes under the label, but I guess this was right before they dropped panels 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

After all this about broken prongs I had to double-check and mine are all having prongs. The Atari-branded carts even have panels, which was a surprise with Midnight Magic as I figured from the label it was from the era of Solaris and my Atari-branded Mouse Trap, which both have those annoying 7800 holes under the label, but I guess this was right before they dropped panels 🤷‍♂️

I am glad yours are OK.

I have received a rather disappointing reply which I have replied to. One prong missing absolutely is an issue with the 2600 Plus in particular.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I am glad yours are OK.

I have received a rather disappointing reply which I have replied to. One prong missing absolutely is an issue with the 2600 Plus in particular.

What do you guys think?

I would agree.  Also, when I ordered from Retro Raven, the UPS guy never scanned the tracking number.  Therefore I wasn't able to get a location of the package.  I told RR about it, they were supposed to call UPS and get back to me but never did.  Eventually the package arrived.  But it came late according to the estimated delivery date of 1/6.  I got it on 1/11.  Not sure what caused the delay.  In the end the mailman brought the package since UPS gave it to the PO.  Which that does happen sometimes.  I would have preferred UPS bringing it.  Anyway, I'm just glad it worked out in getting here.

3 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

IMG_0314.jpeg

Midnight Magic, ESB, Pheonix I have.  Barnstorming too.  And Raiders is on the way.  Looks like some good gaming there.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

The Robotron 2084 is my first original 7800 game that I recently got.  I'm hoping to test it tomorrow when the dual stick controller arrives.  

I just got notification that my Robotron cart has arrived in the UK and is going through customs, so hopefully I'll get mine soon too

• Like 4