IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

On 1/9/2024 at 5:22 PM, Dr Karnov said:

Do you think whoever designed the box art for Outlaw was a Clint Eastwood fan?

the-outlaw-josey-wales-clint-eastwood-movie-poster-thomas-pollart.jpg

Btw, if you like Outlaw you’ll like the homebrew Gunfight. It’s no longer available for purchase, but should you come across a copy, I recommend it. This was the first “Atari” game that I introduced to my sons when they were kids. We spent lots of hours playing this one. 

IMG_3159.jpeg

IMG_3160.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Midnight Magic, ESB, Pheonix I have.  Barnstorming too.  And Raiders is on the way.  Looks like some good gaming there.

I forgot that Raiders uses two sticks and that it’s so annoyingly obtuse 😂

Definitely going to go beyond the manual page that says not to do that if you don’t want hints!

Picked this up at an antique shop in an arcade near me for ten quid. I thought it might be a self-centring analogue stick, but I can hear what sounds like micro-clickers when I move it. Fire buttons are redundant; action on the left seems intermittent so I may have to open it to take a look.

No manufacturer or any info on it beyond that sticker. I’ve seen these on eBay for £30-40, so it seemed like a good deal for a third stick - my kid is left-handed and might appreciate button on the right 😏

IMG_0315.jpeg

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

Postman has been

Water damage to cart label but the label on the top edge is fine, and I figure that's the one I'll see most of the time!

IMG_20240112_173250.jpg

IMG_20240112_173241.jpg

Very nice delivery! 

I've seen vids of this game, not played it though. Let me know what you think. 

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I am glad yours are OK.

I have received a rather disappointing reply which I have replied to. One prong missing absolutely is an issue with the 2600 Plus in particular.

What do you guys think?

Some of these carts from Taiwan like Bobby is going home easily lose the prongs in an 7800 or 2600+ slot. 

I have a cart Galactic (not the Quelle version) with only one prong. It works but does not sit very well. The side with no prong is higher then the other. I am glad it works but it is not nice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Postman has been

Water damage to cart label but the label on the top edge is fine, and I figure that's the one I'll see most of the time!

IMG_20240112_173250.jpg

IMG_20240112_173241.jpg

You know what we are all waiting to see though....

THE LIGHT FITTING!

Edited by JetmanUK

Midnight Magic, ESB, Pheonix I have.  Barnstorming too.  And Raiders is on the way.  Looks like some good gaming there.

Second game of Raiders I was reminded of how annoying it is. Freaking snakes killing you over and over and unless you read the first group of hints I can’t see how anyone would reasonably see how to progress. Not as bad as bizzaro-logic adventure games, but pretty bad 😅

And a game that everyone around you will be shouting to stop if you don’t start playing right away due to the looped soundtrack before you get going 😂

• Haha 3

Just now, Dr Karnov said:

I should probably quit my job and set up a "custom VCS case" store on ETSY

You should!

I am really glad that it works though, but I would definitely buy the cheapest game on ebay and swap the case.

I get that the label on this might not peel off like some others, and it's only half a label, but I'd still do it.

• Thanks 1

Well I haven't read the manual or anything yet, but it was pretty quick to get up and running, just navigating through asteroid fields and shooting the occasional Klingon Bird of Prey.  Seems a good game.

Yeah, that about sums it up. It's not a terribly complex game, but it's a lot of fun. By the way, if you haven't figured it out, pulling back on the joystick fires photon torpedoes. Though, I think you only start with 3 of those.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Got a clutch today/this week.  Rounding out my collection.  Not many have-to-have's left, but a few.

20240112_151237-Copy.thumb.jpg.e625a326d10f386e45e53a894a4c7fe4.jpg

Good set of games, but Robot Tank may not work on a 2600+. I have so many night scene label Atlantis cartridges since I always buy those just to check if it is an Atlantis II cartridge.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Good set of games, but Robot Tank may not work on a 2600+. I have so many night scene label Atlantis cartridges since I always buy those just to check if it is an Atlantis II cartridge.

Yeah I remember that now, but I think they'll get it fixed sooner or later.  It would be the one Activision cart that easily reads with no issue, then goes straight to glitch.  But I have Battlezone and 100 other carts to play.  Atlantis II is still out there somewhere.

22 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

@jeremiahjt @Major Havoc 2049 @Dr Karnov

There are so many in this genre that perhaps we do all need to do our personal top ten from our personal collections. This genre is a beast compared to the maze shooter!

I have Demons to Diamonds, Air Sea Battle, Astroblast, Encounter at L5, Carnival (I really like this one too), some others I'd forgot! I need to check my collection.

But yeah a top ten a 'Non scrolling shooter' is a good category I think. Within that description let it be as broad as you like.

...After this I'd like to talk top ten 'Scrolling shooter', with an ultimate goal, no spoilers, but let's not muddy the water here yet. :P

I'm down. I'm just going to include Space Invaders style verticle shooters, as stuff like Missile Command/Atlantis and Asteroids/Gravitar/Seaquest are their own little shoot-'em-up sub genres. 

I have Space Invaders, Centipede, Demon Attack, Galaxian, Megamania, Spider Fighter, Phoenix, Encounter at L-5 and Warplock in my collection. 

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Yeah, that about sums it up. It's not a terribly complex game, but it's a lot of fun. By the way, if you haven't figured it out, pulling back on the joystick fires photon torpedoes. Though, I think you only start with 3 of those.

Yeah that’s one of the bits that’s not like the arcade - no visible photon fires and no explosive ring so it acts more like a short-range smart bomb, which is fine.

4 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah I remember that now, but I think they'll get it fixed sooner or later.  It would be the one Activision cart that easily reads with no issue, then goes straight to glitch.  But I have Battlezone and 100 other carts to play.  Atlantis II is still out there somewhere.

I think it’s the only example of a cart where the PAL version works, but NTSC doesn’t? My plan b for if I cannot upgrade firmware is to charity shop my NTSC one and get a PAL version 😉