IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

39 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I should probably say first of all that I've not played a lot of Donkey Kong. I don't have it on the 2600 or 7800 (or any other machine), and I've played it in the arcade maybe twice, so I can't really compare Donkey Kong to King King.

I really like Tigervision, and King Kong is really fun. The only downside I can see is that the main sprite is well animated but Kong looks pretty awful! The game is pretty repetitive but I liked the risk/reward of getting bumped up a level if you jump over a super bomb.

Yeah the main guy is good, if he just had a little more speed it would be nice. Levels changing colour would be good, holes in different parts of the platform too, a little variety, these would all be nice upgrades. I am assuming that the last two aren't present in the game, maybe I've not played far enough into it? 🤷🏻

King Kong is awful looking, a gingerbread man perhaps? 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

It's okay.  I make spelling mistakes too.  We all do.  I try to catch the mistake before I post and sometimes I overlook it.  Then I have to go back and fix it.

I'm blaming autocorrect. That's my story and I'm sticking to it 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah the main guy is good, if he just had a little more speed it would be nice. Levels changing colour would be good, holes in different parts of the platform too, a little variety, these would all be nice upgrades. I am assuming that the last two aren't present in the game, maybe I've not played far enough into it? 🤷🏻

King is awful looking, a gingerbread man perhaps? 🤣

More variety and more speed would have definitely made for a better game.

I think it was Tigervision's first game, so not a bad effort

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

More variety and more speed would have definitely made for a better game.

I think it was Tigervision's first game, so not a bad effort

Ah I didn't know it was their first game. Quite ambitious with a big name licenced game. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Now I got my second Galactic cart (in front) which is a hack of Nexar and plays very well, once you understand the controls are like Gyruss🤙

My first Galactic cart was a copy of Vulture Attack🕹

20240115_205703.jpg

This is very cool. So when you bought them you didn't know which game they would be?

Oh, I bought the Bluetooth joystick adapter that you recommended. Hope to have it soon. Twin stick Robotron with an Xbox controller baby! 🤟🏻😎

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Now I got my second Galactic cart (in front) which is a hack of Nexar and plays very well, once you understand the controls are like Gyruss🤙

My first Galactic cart was a copy of Vulture Attack🕹

20240115_205703.jpg

What an artistically framed picture!

The rest of us are going to have to up our game in future!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

This is very cool. So when you bought them you didn't know which game they would be?

43 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I've played Condor Attack which is the same game.  In fact I played it recently online.  I like it.  It's expensive though.  

Well, I wanted the Nexar hack but got the Vulture/Condor Attack copy.

It plays nice and for 6,99€ I kept it🤙

Then I looked out for the Nexar hack again and the one from Quelle was the correct one🤗

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Here's mine.  Top of my left arm (this is a pic from in the mirror). 

Screenshot_2024-01-15-18-10-13-190_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg

Nice, mine is right forearm.  Inside of the forearm still under construction but so far the Scimitar and Dathomir.  Been working on it since 2019.  

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Challenge accepted! 🤪

IMG_20240115_210926.jpg

Recently got Fast Eddie and liked it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

👍

I don't have Deadly Duck... how is it?

Edit: Very nice arrangement👍

My wife uses our lamp in the bath too😉

It's a pretty good shooter, not amazing, but solid. 

Haha, yeah my wife uses this lamp all round the house, she carries it around like the log lady off Twin Peaks! 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Kind of off topic.  But does anyone hot swap their carts on the 2600+?  I've read comments on another thread saying it's fine to do so.  I myself haven't tried that yet.  Is it safe?  Because I just wonder about the longevity of the power switch lever.  

I’ve done it once or twice and it works, but it just doesn’t feel right to me, so I flip the power switch 🤷‍♂️

On-topic I did a swap with a fellow forum member so this turned up today. Don’t remember ever playing it, but it’s in my ROM collection so possibly I did. Interesting spin on other concepts making for something new. Scored nearly 2000 on my first play and got to the fourth or fifth stage. Even the initial difficulty level poses a challenge!

IMG_0316.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Kind of off topic.  But does anyone hot swap their carts on the 2600+?  I've read comments on another thread saying it's fine to do so.  I myself haven't tried that yet.  Is it safe?  Because I just wonder about the longevity of the power switch lever.  

After reading that it was fine on here I started doing it after about a week after launch. I would say I pretty much always hot swap now.

If you are swapping between 2600 and 7800 games its perhaps better to restart (I dont have any cast iron evidence of this, just somehting I do) and I like to restart if I have swapped more than three or four carts as I am sure I've had a black screen on games (that otherwise work fine) when they've been the fourth of fifth swap and a restart has made them work instantly.

I do find it nice to hot swap as the time to the games load is greatly shortened and the hot swap just feels... naughty.

Just my findings.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

@Dr Karnov

I have have exciting news for you regarding our shared love of the 2600 maze shooter... I have discovered two more that I was not aware of!

Phantom Tank (also know as Phantom Panzer & Tanks But No Tanks)

Universal Chaos

I have just bought them both on eBay, they were not expensive.

Also had a quick play on Stella, both have controls that will take some getting used to, but could be fun, Phantom Tank in particular. I'll share my thoughts when they arrive and I have chance to put some real play time in, as always I don't like to spoil new games too much, just a little try of the ROM to make sure that I don't hate them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

@Dr Karnov

I have have exciting news for you regarding our shared love of the 2600 maze shooter... I have discovered two more that I was not aware of!

Phantom Tank (also know as Phantom Panzer & Tanks But No Tanks)

Universal Chaos

I have just bought them both on eBay, they were not expensive.

Also had a quick play on Stella, both have controls that will take some getting used to, but could be fun, Phantom Tank in particular. I'll share my thoughts when they arrive and I have chance to put some real play time in, as always I don't like to spoil new games too much, just a little try of the ROM to make sure that I don't hate them.

Gotta love those maze shooters.  I like Phantom Tank but the flickering enemy tanks are annoying.  Also, it's good to test the ROM of a game to see if you like it or not.  

3 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Gotta love those maze shooters.  I like Phantom Tank but the flickering enemy tanks are annoying.  Also, it's good to test the ROM of a game to see if you like it or not.  

Yeah the flickering is quite bad, but I kind of accept it in 2600 games, its in so many. I do love it when they manage to mitigate/eliminate it in some games though. 

I think in this case it's quite apt, the Tanks are ghost like! 🤦🏻🤪🤣 

Do you own it too?

Yeah I like to take a very quick play of a game I'm not familiar with, it's served me well so far. 

• Like 1