IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

10 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Who doesnt like a bit of bully.

I know you're not complaining. I'd be the same if I were you. Its all good. All I'd say is look what Atari have done in the past couple of years and think that this path will continue.

Yep, 'new' Atari I think have been quite brilliant. I've been enjoying their Recharged series and other games over on Xbox, loving hearing about their sensible acquisitions and the 2600 Plus has been my favourite purchase for years. Bravo to all involved. I'm just greedy for more. 😁

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Galaga and Galaxians were two of my first purchases, they, along with Pac-man are probably my most loved arcade classics. 

Galaga is an early one for 7800 I think.  First 7800 cart I've had that has the intermediate cart design with the dual-spring dust cover and no holes under the label.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Today I complete the trio.

20240118_110940-Copy.thumb.jpg.8b2ec6b35a9f79eb767895b9be446816.jpg

You know whenever a company looks to cut costs and things that they don't think are important I want them to realize the ramifications of this that go on for like 30 years. it is such a shame that we have these ugly black and white labels on these amazing games.

Part of the enjoyment of having a cart system in the ROM age is the physical tactile sense of the cart and looking at the enjoyable color art on it and when that is circumvented by a company that is too cheap to just print color labels for their games you know that kind of annoys me. That's the one thing I don't like about 7800 games

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

You know whenever a company looks to cut costs and things that they don't think are important I want them to realize the ramifications of this that go on for like 30 years. it is such a shame that we have these ugly black and white labels on these amazing games.

Part of the enjoyment of having a cart system in the ROM age is the physical tactile sense of the cart and looking at the enjoyable color art on it and when that is circumvented by a company that is too cheap to just print color labels for their games you know that kind of annoys me. That's the one thing I don't like about 7800 games

That's fair enough.

Personally I really like 7800 carts. As a contrast to the wildly varied 2600 carts that come in all shapes, sizes, designs and colours, I like uniform black and silver of "pro system" carts. I think, with a contemporary eye, they look quite premium 

IMG_20231010_173400.jpg

Edited by Dr Karnov
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

That's fair enough.

Personally I really like 7800 carts. As a contrast to the wildly varied 2600 carts that come in all shapes, sizes, designs and colours, I like uniform black and silver of "pro system" carts. I think, with a contemporary eye, they look quite premium 

IMG_20231010_173400.jpg

It definitely makes it easier to tell 7800 from 2600 ganes at a glance in my collection (I just do straight alpha in my sorting) 👍

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tradyblix said:

They're not even "nice" black and white images, with deep blacks and crisp contrast.  They're color images printed in black and white as quickly and cheaply as possible, leaving them to look a bit off.  All to save what?  Half a cent in 1986?  Nice job there.  The few that are in color are gorgeous.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

They're not even "nice" black and white images, with deep blacks and crisp contrast.  They're color images printed in black and white as quickly and cheaply as possible, leaving them to look a bit off.  All to save what?  Half a cent in 1986?  Nice job there.  The few that are in color are gorgeous.

They also did this on a lot of later 2600 (re-)releases.  Drab B&W versions of originally color graphics on a red label.  I have a few of those.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

That's fair enough.

IMG_20231010_173400.jpg

Silver is fine and the end labels are fine but the art could and should have been reproduced in color. 

• Like 1

I agree that the black-and-white 7800 game cartridge label look drab and think it was a shame they (or Jack Tramiel I suppose) decided it would save them some pennies.

Anyways, out of curiosity I did a search to see if maybe someone did colorized versions of the 7800 labels and found these threads:

Edited by MysticSword
Added info.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

They also did this on a lot of later 2600 (re-)releases.  Drab B&W versions of originally color graphics on a red label.  I have a few of those.

Yeah. And they look great. But... not Galaga lol. Not Food Fight. Not Ms. Pac Man. 

Edited by tradyblix

35 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

I agree that the black-and-white 7800 game cartridge label look drab and think it was a shame they (or Jack Tramiel I suppose) decided it would save them some pennies.

Anyways, out of curiosity I did a search to see if maybe someone did colorized versions of the 7800 labels and found these threads:

These are actually quite nice.. thanks for the link. But honestly they're... not 7800 style labels, and I'd prefer the original style. Just in color.

So we are talking collecting here, we've all enjoyed it, and I haven't forgotten my shooter top ten, but we also play right?

I've been thinking about all the games I've been playing, old favourites, classics I never owned and most exciting of all... new discoveries that turn out to be effing dope!

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you a game I have touched on in here:

GAS HOG!

If you have not played this game you are in for a real treat. A side scrolling vehicular shooter with some cool game mechanics.

First of all your vehicle is a real gas hog, requiring constant refueling in it's journey from left to right. To do this you must drop down from the top play area to a second area at the bottom. When you do this you head the opposite way, losing progress that you had made. I found this to be a really fun idea.

Also, you can shoot the collectables, this means that you need to stay sharp and make split second decisions. Sometimes you may get caught out by trying to collect a bonus too. Nice risk/reward gameplay as this game, like many Atari games is all about high score, well in addition to making your way to the right.

Something that I think really stands out in this game is the tight control over the car as you jump, slow down and speed up to not only shoot or avoid the badguys but to collect the points and fuel that scroll past too. In addition to the scrolling baddies you are also under attack from above. These guys you cannot take out, you just have to avoid their fire whilst doing all of the aforementioned. 

The graphics are good, but not stunning, the sound a step up from that, with enjoyable sound effects. Other nice things, press fire to start, a nice end of game animation, a pause function, this is a very slick package for the 2600. 

This really is a great game, I would say my current favourite Atari game and as such it automatically becomes, for me, one of the greats on the platform. 

You need to buy Gas Hog.

Who owns the Spectravideo catalogue? Gas Hog 2 anyone? 😁

Would anyone else like to share a mini review of a hidden gem? Or a classic you didn't play and recommend? Or, why not, a terrible and disappointing bag of spanners?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

So we are talking collecting here, we've all enjoyed it, and I haven't forgotten my shooter top ten, but we also play right?

I've been thinking about all the games I've been playing, old favourites, classics I never owned and most exciting of all... new discoveries that turn out to be effing dope!

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you a game I have touched on in here:

GAS HOG!

If you have not played this game you are in for a real treat. A side scrolling vehicular shooter with some cool game mechanics.

First of all your vehicle is a real gas hog, requiring constant refueling in it's journey from left to right. To do this you must drop down from the top play area to a second area at the bottom. When you do this you head the opposite way, losing progress that you had made. I found this to be a really fun idea.

Also, you can shoot the collectables, this means that you need to stay sharp and make split second decisions. Sometimes you may get caught out by trying to collect a bonus too. Nice risk/reward gameplay as this game, like many Atari games is all about high score, well in addition to making your way to the right.

Something that I think really stands out in this game is the tight control over the car as you jump, slow down and speed up to not only shoot or avoid the badguys but to collect the points and fuel that scroll past too. In addition to the scrolling baddies you are also under attack from above. These guys you cannot take out, you just have to avoid their fire whilst doing all of the aforementioned. 

The graphics are good, but not stunning, the sound a step up from that, with enjoyable sound effects. Other nice things, press fire to start, a nice end of game animation, a pause function, this is a very slick package for the 2600. 

This really is a great game, I would say my current favourite Atari game and as such it automatically becomes, for me, one of the greats on the platform. 

You need to buy Gas Hog.

Who owns the Spectravideo catalogue? Gas Hog 2 anyone? 😁

Would anyone else like to share a mini review of a hidden gem? Or a classic you didn't play and recommend? Or, why not, a terrible and disappointing bag of spanners?

I'm getting close to posting my "top non-scrolling shooter" list.

My most recent shooter pickup is Gorf, and until I'm missing something, it's not one of my favourites, based on what I've played so far

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Karnov said:

My most recent shooter pickup is Gorf, and until I'm missing something, it's not one of my favourites, based on what I've played so far

Yeah I know I was really disappointed when I played it the other day. It was quite terrible.

It's weird as I had good memories of playing it as a kid, it wasn't on Atari, it may have been something odd like the VIC 20 my bro had, I'm really not sure. That version may in fact also be crap too. 🤷🏻🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I know whats top of my scrolling vehicular shooter list... 🤣🤟🏻

• Like 1