IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

4 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Yeah, I just played it online to see what it might be like. To me it reminds me of Moon Patrol in some ways, but still quite different too. I'd need to look up the instructions to know whats going on or what I'm supposed to be doing. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to shoot up (as in Moon Patrol, where the buggy would shoot forward and up) so I don't know if there's a way to shoot at the enemies overhead. Still, what I did play of it was fun.

Check out my mini review above, it explains it all. 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Actually I’m only waiting on one 😇 from America which should arrive next week: Robotron for 7800 - hence the empty slot. I did have a look for Gas Hog on EBay and it’s within the realm of rationality, but I’d like to give my credit card a wee break 😅

Cheers, I try to be choosy and I’ve not quite decided to cross the triple-digit threshold 😅

Dark Cavern is one of the first ones I picked up: second row on the right. In answer to an earlier query I’ve not had issues with any carts, though each shelf has a big cutout in it so M-Network ones fit, but not level as the narrow front edge causes Dark Cavern (my only one so far) to tilt slightly. I don’t have any Starpath carts - that whole tape drive thing is a big turn-off - so I cannot vouch for that. I also rather doubt a “DIY repair” would fit 😉, as the new ones fit with cardboard sleeves, but a little snug. The snugness works though because it’s easy to pull the cart without the sleeve 😁

So what I've noticed with Gas Hog is that the PAL version is pretty inexpensive but the NTSC is pretty expensive. 

Have you tried one of the monolithic CommaVid carts in your storage? 🤣

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

It is like Moon Patrol.  In Gas Hog you can't shoot upwards even though there looks to be a canon on top of the vehicle.  I couldn't get far in the game.  My score would drop back to zero at times.  I was shooting the numbers and enemies.  And trying to refuel when needed.  As you said, you have to read the instructions.  I thought I was doing fine.  Next time I'll look at how to play it because I wasn't quite sure what to do.

Also, Gas Hog reminded me of City Connection a little bit.

But minus the shooting.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Connection

City a connection is a fun game, I've always liked that one too. I prefer Gas Hog though. 

• Like 1

Stopped by a flea market today and visited the retro game shop. Guy had a few crates of carts, so I dug through them all. Mostly common stuff we all have, but I found plenty to buy. All in, 13 7800 and 17 2600 carts for $90. I got 2 copies of Choplifter just to round up to 30 total.

PXL_20240120_212245759.jpg

PXL_20240120_212208537.MP.jpg

PXL_20240120_212103124.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

You got all of that for $90?! Score!

Man, I need to find a good flea market in my area. I've seen a lot of listings on Ebay where you can pay that much just for a few of those 7800 games. Ebay seems to be where people trying to milk collectors congregate, where a good flea market is where you find people just wanting to offload stuff.

• Like 4

20240120_1930532.thumb.jpg.4a61ca1736c5782eaeacb7a212e43421.jpg

20240120_1934322.thumb.jpg.f00e3967c33f722e30dbb1a964a879cf.jpg

This is a hack of Commando Raid.  I like it.  The box art is neat.  No manual included.  Also, there's no tank in the game either. The game description on the back of the box is funny with how it's worded.  The game works fine on the 2600+.  

The cart is slightly smaller than a regular 2600 cart.  I never had a physical version of a hacked game before.  It's nice to have it in the collection.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

Stopped by a flea market today and visited the retro game shop. Guy had a few crates of carts, so I dug through them all. Mostly common stuff we all have, but I found plenty to buy. All in, 13 7800 and 17 2600 carts for $90. I got 2 copies of Choplifter just to round up to 30 total.

PXL_20240120_212245759.jpg

PXL_20240120_212208537.MP.jpg

PXL_20240120_212103124.jpg

You got some good games in there! Plus Karateka, sorry.

Do not tell anybody, but I think Eggomania is better than Kaboom!.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Who may find the half of an Atari7800 shell in this picture?

It is the back side of a game which failed to work some years ago😉

Nothing gets wasted in cyberpunk age...

20240121_122922.jpg

Is it sat atop a sensor? 🤣

I have some old cart parts here, I assumed as spares for games, maybe I could find an interesting use for them too. 

We have some creative Atari fans here, you... and of course the good Doctor. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

You got some good games in there! Plus Karateka, sorry.

Do not tell anybody, but I think Eggomania is better than Kaboom!.

Well I want to test this for myself, Eggomania, Kaboom, what about Crackpots? That's similar too isn't it? I already have Kaboom with the other two on the way. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Well I want to test this for myself, Eggomania, Kaboom, what about Crackpots? That's similar too isn't it? I already have Kaboom with the other two on the way. 

Crackpots is great but a joystick game!

It is NTSC only with no Ebay sellers in Europe to be found. So it is quite expensive to import and difficult to find an acceptable label.

I have Boom Bang, the Otto version of the Quelle version Kampf dem Steinfresser, as it was never released in PAL countries.

The hack plays very good but it misses a lot of graphic details and I want the original at last.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

It is NTSC only with no Ebay sellers in Europe to be found. So it is quite expensive to import and difficult to find an acceptable label.

I have Boom Bang, the Otto version of the Quelle version Kampf dem Steinfresser, as it was never released in PAL countries.

The hack plays very good but it misses a lot of graphic details and I want the original at last.

I just bought Crackpots from Germany this morning. The label is the usual Activision mess though. 

I assume this must be an NTSC cart then. It's a seller I've used about five times now, I'm pretty sure all his other carts have been PAL. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240120_1930532.thumb.jpg.4a61ca1736c5782eaeacb7a212e43421.jpg

20240120_1934322.thumb.jpg.f00e3967c33f722e30dbb1a964a879cf.jpg

This is a hack of Commando Raid.  I like it.  The box art is neat.  No manual included.  Also, there's no tank in the game either. The game description on the back of the box is funny with how it's worded.  The game works fine on the 2600+.  

The cart is slightly smaller than a regular 2600 cart.  I never had a physical version of a hacked game before.  It's nice to have it in the collection.

A German PAL version exists but they just took the NTSC rom and made a PAL version without adjusting the LSD style colors😅

If I start NTSC Commando Raid cart in my PAL Jr, I get the same result.

Landung in der Normandie is black and white if put in an NTSC console.

20231217_004740.jpg

20231217_004726.jpg

20231217_004704.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

A German PAL version exists but they just took the NTSC rom and made a PAL version without adjusting the LSD style colors😅

I thought it would look like the screen shot on the back of the box.  Once I started playing it, the colors were of the original game.  I figured with it being a hack, the colors would be somewhat different.  I tried to spot other differences in the game but found nothing.  I probably could've just got the regular Commando Raid then.  But it's still cool to own a hacked game.

I used my NES style custom gamepad from Retro Game Boyz to play the game.  I noticed you can use the start/select buttons to move the cannon.  I wasn't expecting that to happen.  According to the game modes, you get auto fire in black/white but I played in color and had auto fire by holding down the fire button.  Maybe that's because it's a hacked version.  

With this hack, all they did was use the NTSC rom and change the game title, description & box art.  Other than that, it's all the same.  But it's fine, I wanted to get Commando Raid and the hack seemed interesting.  I won't go for any other hacked games.  I'll stick with the original versions from now on.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20231217_004740.jpg

20231217_004726.jpg

20231217_004704.jpg

Although not as intended, or as realistic (Atari games realistic?! 🤣) I actually quite like the stripey sky, that's an interesting a aesthetic. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

2 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Like what was said above, Crackpots is similar, but it is a joystick game. Kaboom! and Eggomania are both paddle games where you try to catch something falling from above. In Eggomania, after you finish the egg catching part of the round, you then get to fire back at that egg dropping bird. I know most people love Kaboom!, but it has never been one of my favorites.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

So what I've noticed with Gas Hog is that the PAL version is pretty inexpensive but the NTSC is pretty expensive. 

Have you tried one of the monolithic CommaVid carts in your storage? 🤣

Cheers, noted! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a CommaVid cart, but if the weight is towards the open side, there’s a chance it won’t fall out 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

What controllers are people using on their 2600+?

I've got a good selection, but find that my choice of controller depends on which game I'm playing 

IMG_20240121_184008.jpg

A nice selection. Did they sort out the problems with the paddle on the Ranger controller? I hope so, it looks good. 

My current choice here is much simpler and limited. Standard joystick, the amazing PowerPlay Cruiser (fully microswitched, owned from new back in the day) and this modified NES 7800 controller. 

I am definitely in the market for a nice joypad type controller, but I do have the Bluetooth adaptor on the way so I'm gonna try an Xbox pad first and see what I think of that. 

IMG_20240121_193600.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 6