IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

A bunch of carts arrived from the US of A today, including this one. The edge of the label is damaged, I'll stick it down tomorrow, but here it is in all its flappy glory.

Not a bad game, the controls take some getting used to, the music is enjoyable. I need to play some more. 

IMG_20240124_230543.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

A bunch of carts arrived from the US of A today, including this one. The edge of the label is damaged, I'll stick it down tomorrow, but here it is in all its flappy glory.

Not a bad game, the controls take some getting used to, the music is enjoyable. I need to play some more. 

IMG_20240124_230543.jpg

This one was a game I didn't think I’d like, but actually love. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

A bunch of carts arrived from the US of A today, including this one. The edge of the label is damaged, I'll stick it down tomorrow, but here it is in all its flappy glory.(GYRUSS)

I like the controls, and I think for an 80s VCS game the graphics are quite good, and the music is great - but it really suffers from no sound effects.

I get that to have the Bach sound track they had to sacrifice sound effects, but without the usual beeps and bloops of shots/explosions, it feels a bit lacking.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

IMG_20240124_230543.jpg

How much did the P&P cost / any import tax at all? I'd love to order some carts from America but have been put off by the additional costs.

17 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yes! Imagine just taking a cart out of a box and put it in the Plus and it just works. 🤷🏻😱😱🤣

Exactly.  Just like how it was for my Berzerk enhanced and Raptor homebrew.  Both are new and work without flaw.  Also, my loose carts have all worked fine so far which is great.  I do have my cleaning supplies ready if a cart ever has an issue due to being dirty.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

IMG_20240124_230543.jpg

That's good you got the game.  I've played it as a ROM, I like it.  The music is nice too.  It would make for a fun ringtone.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Exactly.  Just like how it was for my Berzerk enhanced and Raptor homebrew.  Both are new and work without flaw.  Also, my loose carts have all worked fine so far which is great.  I do have my cleaning supplies ready if a cart ever has an issue due to being dirty.  

Yeah that new in box experience will be nice to have again soon. 

When my new (to me) carts arrive I always clean them first, a dry scrub to get any lose stuff off and then with IPA. This latest batch included two slightly troublesome carts, yep you've guessed it, Activision. Two cleanings and shallower seating to make them work. I might do the scrape trick on one to see how much it improves it. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Has anyone else got a list of their favourite shooters?

After fixed shooters and then scrolling shooters, does anyone have any other suggestions for "best of" lists? I was thinking maybe platform games.

Still working on mine. 

We've had maze games, single screen/maze shooters, scrolling shooters next, how about maze games, platform games, then Misc (puzzle games, there's not many,  other odd games). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ampersound said:

How much did the P&P cost / any import tax at all? I'd love to order some carts from America but have been put off by the additional costs.

It was about 30 something USD for tax and postage on top of what I paid. That was for 10 games.

I've found that buying from the USA is good as there's more choice, the carts are generally superior versions (NTSC) and rarer games seem to be cheaper too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Still working on mine. 

We've had maze games, single screen/maze shooters, scrolling shooters next, how about maze games, platform games, then Misc (puzzle games, there's not many,  other odd games). 

What about top 5 7800 arcade ports?

Are you guys buying 7800 carts too or mainly 2600?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

What about top 5 7800 arcade ports?

Are you guys buying 7800 carts too or mainly 2600?

I have a handful of 7800 games, I'll list them when I get home. I'm more interested in the 2600 stuff, and probably mostly new 7800 stuff, if it comes. 

• Like 2

I like the 7800 for "better" arcade ports.  I have the following so far:

Donkey Kong

Ms. Pac-Man

Centipede

Joust

Donkey Kong Jr.

Mario Bros.

Galaxian

Dig Dug

Pole Position II

Asteroids

Donkey Kong is my favorite of the bunch and I play it often.  I don't even have any of the Coleco 2600 ports right now and struggle to imagine I would ever prefer them over 7800.  For things like Joust, Mario Bros., Dig Dug, I actually like and play both versions.  I know 7800 Centipede is well regarded and I do like it, but I love 2600 Centipede.  2600 also has Millipede.  The last two I don't have a proper controller for yet.  I need to get a few more 7800 games, but they are definitely pricier than most 2600.

• Like 4

I think this is my entire 7800 collection, there may be one or two amongst some carts in my office, but I don't think so.*

I'm quite happy with what I have, maybe a handful of others would be nice, but they are expensive and I just don't have the nostalgia for 7800 stuff. New or enhanced would be more up my street.

*EDIT

I also have Pole Position 2

EDIT 2

And Karateka (unfortunately)

IMG_20240125_200258.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I think this is my entire 7800 collection, there may be one or two amongst some carts in my office, but I don't think so.*

I'm quite happy with what I have, maybe a handful of others would be nice, but they are expensive and I just don't have the nostalgia for 7800 stuff. New or enhanced would be more up my street.

*EDIT

EDIT 2

IMG_20240125_200258.jpg

Nice collection!!

• Like 1

I now have Yars Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Arc and E.T. - Howard Scott Warshaw's three games from the 80s. I thought he was an interesting character in the videos in Atari 50 so I purchased his audio book Once Upon Atari. I haven't quite finished it yet but I can highly recommend it, great insight into the Atari glory days (with their crazy shit), and into him and his life. It's always great when the author reads their own book and he does it really well. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

*EDIT

EDIT 2

IMG_20240125_200258.jpg

I love 7800 games, have got many and want more. Many good arcade ports and the new homebrews look really good🤙

Bentley Bear and Froggie order is pending and A R.T.I , EXO, T:me Salvo and Knight Guy are on my list for future orders😊

50% of my ready to play carts are 7800 ones🕹

20240125_231033.jpg

20240125_231112.jpg

20240125_231252.jpg

20240125_231155.jpg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I now have Yars Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Arc and E.T. - Howard Scott Warshaw's three games from the 80s. I thought he was an interesting character in the videos in Atari 50 so I purchased his audio book Once Upon Atari. I haven't quite finished it yet but I can highly recommend it, great insight into the Atari glory days (with their crazy shit), and into him and his life. It's always great when the author reads their own book and he does it really well. 

Me too! I'm currently reading the physical copy of Once Upon Atari, almost done. He's not a very good writer but it's still a good book because he has interesting things to say, and he writes well enough to get the job done. I bet him reading the audio book himself more than makes up for his lack of literary skillz.

For some reason I own three copies of Raiders of the Lost Ark (one copy from when I was a teenager, and two copies that friends gave me in the decades since). And while reading the book I ordered a copy of ET with the manual. Turns out if you bother to read the manual that game is actually pretty great! Somehow my old copy of Yar's Revenge went missing, so even though I do have a copy on the Atari 10-in-1 cart I wanted to own the real deal and this week I bought a copy at the local mall for $5.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

Me too! I'm currently reading the physical copy of Once Upon Atari, almost done. He's not a very good writer but it's still a good book because he has interesting things to say, and he writes well enough to get the job done. I bet him reading the audio book himself more than makes up for his lack of literary skillz.

For some reason I own three copies of Raiders of the Lost Ark (one copy from when I was a teenager, and two copies that friends gave me in the decades since). And while reading the book I ordered a copy of ET with the manual. Turns out if you bother to read the manual that game is actually pretty great! Somehow my old copy of Yar's Revenge went missing, so even though I do have a copy on the Atari 10-in-1 cart I wanted to own the real deal and this week I bought a copy at the local mall for $5.

Ah good, I'm glad someone else on here is enjoying it too. I would definitely recommend the audio book, I can imagine the words he's speaking being a little hard work in written text format. With the book I bet you miss out out some nuance and humour too. Either way he's a cool guy, I like him. I would enjoy more books from others regarding Atari, preferably audio books. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I love 7800 games, have got many and want more. Many good arcade ports and the new homebrews look really good🤙

Bentley Bear and Froggie order is pending and A R.T.I , EXO, T:me Salvo and Knight Guy are on my list for future orders😊

20240125_231033.jpg

20240125_231112.jpg

20240125_231252.jpg

20240125_231155.jpg

Wow! Impressive 7800 games collection there. Several of them I'd love to have.

So far the few 7800 games I've managed to collect are:

• Pole Position II,
  • Karateka (I remember the game fondly on the C64, but this 7800 version so far to me is nearly unplayable to how unresponsive / slow the controls are),
  • Xevious,
  • Food Fight (a cute and fun game) and
  • Dig Dug (I'd say my fav of my 7800 games I have so far).

Oh yeah, A couple of days ago I managed to score Robotron on Ebay. It was a bit pricey (though comes complete with cartridge, box and manual) and it was still cheaper than any other Robotron cartridges I've seen on Ebay or elsewhere (plus the seller did give me a bit of a discount too).

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240125_231033.jpg

20240125_231112.jpg

20240125_231252.jpg

20240125_231155.jpg

Impressive collection!

• Like 2