IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I didn't even know you had torpedos in this game. šŸ¤·šŸ»šŸ¤¦šŸ»šŸ¤£

I was playing the rom in MAME a couple days ago and figured Iā€™d have to read the manual for this. Started out running into the green things thinking they were pick-ups šŸ˜‚

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Make sure you have two controllers. The right controls Indy, the left controls your inventory.Ā 
Ā 

Game On!

Yes. The manual is only useful for explaining the controls. Everything else is pretty vague. I understand how to play it now ,after watching someone doing a speed run on youtube.Ā šŸ‘

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Agreed! Well at least to me and of the games I currently have in my growing collection of Atari 2600 cartridges (now over 60 games), Defender II (Stargate) I'd say is the best scrolling-shooter 2600 game I have and after playing it more it's up in my top favs from my collection. With Pitfall I'd say still being my top fav 2600 game, though of course the games are a lot different of course, so it depends on what I'm in the mood to play at the time, and I still enjoy playing a variety of the other games in my collection too.

Yeh, defender 2/stargate is definitely one of the best scrolling shooters on the 2600. Much better than defender. I actually like super cobra even thou it's pretty tough.

• Like 3

I bought Atari games from an actual shop today! šŸ˜±

I was after Mario Bros 7800 and was frustrated by the crazy online prices so I did a quick search and ended up on a Facebook market place listing. It was for a single collection of Atari 2600 and 7800 games. Zooming in I did notice that some carts had individual pricing on... One was Mario Bros 7800, for Ā£25. I asked, and yeah they were willing to sell individual games.

Ā 

It turned out that it was a shop and not a private listing and they wanted to shift all their Atari stuff. I ended up getting 8 carts, only three were new to my collection. I got the five dupes as they were either different labels or better condition labels, and they guy said he'd do me a deal if I took a few.Ā 

Ā 

They were all priced up at a total of Ā£93, I paid Ā£75. Not bad.

Ā 

The three games on the bottom row were new to my collection.

Oh, for those interestested they had a lot of other carts, many desirable ones, but another guy was apparently heading there today, glad I got there just after the shop opened! Oh yeah, and they had a Vader console too.

Ā 

Give me a shout if you would like their details to see if they have anything left that you would like.

IMG_20240128_190617.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 11

18 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I was after Mario Bros 7800 and was frustrated by the crazy online prices so I did a quick search and ended up on a Facebook market place listing. It was for a single collection of Atari 2600 and 7800 games. Zooming in I did notice that some carts had individual pricing on... One was Mario Bros 7800, for Ā£25. I asked, and yeah they were willing to sell individual games.

Ā 

It turned out that it was a shop and not a private listing and they wanted to shift all their Atari stuff. I ended up getting 8 carts, only three were new to my collection. I got the five dupes as they were either different labels or better condition labels, and they guy said he'd do me a deal if I took a few.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Oh, for those interestested they had a lot of other carts, many desirable ones, but another guy was apparently heading there today, glad I got there just after the shop opened! Oh yeah, and they had a Vader console too.

Ā 

Give me a shout if you would like their details to see if they have anything left that you would like.

IMG_20240128_190617.jpg

Mario Bros 7800 is always a nice find.Ā  Pretty good port.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240127_194952.thumb.jpg.351e0128e15ecc1dee752baac335bd7b.jpg

Here are the 7 games I got recently.Ā  It's a good collection.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Frogs and Flies is fun.Ā  I like how the frogs jump off screen when the game is over and "The End" appears.

Ā 

By the way, I like all the games in this lot.Ā  Some more than others.Ā  The Tron Deadly Discs is another good one.

Ā 

Ā 

Adventures of Tron is another M game that works, can confirm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_20240128_190617.jpg

Pole position, mario bros 7800 and donkey kong, moon patrol and road runner. Great gamesĀ šŸ˜Š

• Like 6

I'm now in that challenging place of my collection where most of the games left that look interesting to me are the more rare/expensive ones.

Just bought Tapper, Front Line, Mr. Do!, and Time Pilot on eBay. Front Line and Mr. Do! weren't too bad of a price, but the other two pushed the budget some.Ā 

Ā 

About to install the latest BETA build on my 2600+ to see if my other Coleco games work now in prep for the new ones coming.Ā 

Ā 

This puts my retro games collection at:

138 2600 Games

17 7800 Games

22 5200 Games

29 ColecoVision Games

8 400/800 Games

1 Intellivision Game (Star Wars - thought I was ordering the Atari 800 version. Decided to keep it even though I don't have an Intellivision)

Ā 

I'm curious where the rest of you on here are at.Ā 

Ā 

How many of you are completionists? How many are just trying to get their favorites from their youth?

How many are just looking to have the best games and skip the rest?Ā 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

How many of you are completionists? How many are just trying to get their favorites from their youth?

I'm a gamer, not really a collector.Ā  I've picked up about 15-16 loose 2600 carts of some favorites, on top of the roughly 60 old carts I had prior to the 2600+.Ā  Many of these "new to me" carts are old favorites that I had as ROMs on my Harmony cart, but I've picked up for $5-10 recently.Ā Ā 

Ā 

A used game would have to be very, very good before I would spend more than $10 on it.Ā  Newer releases such as homebrews or new Atari releases, I am willing to pay more for, but they need to be releases that really appeal to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

I'm a gamer, not really a collector.Ā  I've picked up about 15-16 loose 2600 carts of some favorites, on top of the roughly 60 old carts I had prior to the 2600+.Ā  Many of these "new to me" carts are old favorites that I had as ROMs on my Harmony cart, but I've picked up for $5-10 recently.Ā Ā 

Ā 

A used game would have to be very, very good before I would spend more than $10 on it.Ā  Newer releases such as homebrews or new Atari releases, I am willing to pay more for, but they need to be releases that really appeal to me.

Itā€™s funny. When it comes to NES and newer platforms, Iā€™m all about digital copies. My RetroPie is loaded with a ton of games.
Ā 

The Atari systems are the only ones where I prefer having physical media over digital downloads.Ā 
Ā 

The 2600+ made that even better (and more expensive ha ha) for me.Ā 

• Like 1

I'm more into playing the games, that said I guess I've inadvertently become a collector. I think out of fear that when these 40 year old games have died or all found a more permanent home, well then they are gone. So I've collected lots of lesser titles out of interest/curiosity, collector pieces really.

Ā 

It's really out of character with the rest of my gaming as I'm a digital man. I guess that also makes it fun too.

I've enjoyed somewhat of a return to physical media in the last year in general (messing around with most old formats, but especially Cassettes, MiniDisc, VHS, DVD) so this all fits.Ā 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I'm more into playing the games, that said I guess I've inadvertently become a collector. I think out of fear that when these 40 year old games have died or all found a more permanent home, well then they are gone. So I've collected lots of lesser titles out of interest/curiosity, collector pieces really.

Ā 

It's really out of character with the rest of my gaming as I'm a digital man. I guess that also makes it fun too.

I've enjoyed somewhat of a return to physical media in the last year in general (messing around with most old formats, but especially Cassettes, MiniDisc, VHS, DVD) so this all fits.Ā 

I abandoned physical media as soon as my computer was able to rip DVDs in a reasonable amount of time. My Wii U and PlayStation collections are all digital on hard drives (I have a backup disk for the Wii U in a fire safe). I still have boxes of DVDs that are collectible or donā€™t have digital downloads. My Evercade and 2600 carts are the exception, but thankfully donā€™t take up much space, but with the 2600 the notion that the carts will just stop working one day is certainly present in my mind. Hopefully Atari will produce more multi-carts that donā€™t just cover first-party releases to keep these games alive in a physical format šŸ˜Š

• Like 5

I'm more of a gamer than a collector, and avoid digital download anything (games, movies, music) unless absolutely necessary. Physical all the way.

Ā 

I would say I have almost all the 7800 games I want, but still a few 2600 games I'd quite likeĀ 

Ā 

I've not picked up any homebrew yet either (2600 or 7800) but I would be interested in that if it was on a physical cart

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I abandoned physical media as soon as my computer was able to rip DVDs in a reasonable amount of time. My Wii U and PlayStation collections are all digital on hard drives (I have a backup disk for the Wii U in a fire safe). I still have boxes of DVDs that are collectible or donā€™t have digital downloads. My Evercade and 2600 carts are the exception, but thankfully donā€™t take up much space, but with the 2600 the notion that the carts will just stop working one day is certainly present in my mind. Hopefully Atari will produce more multi-carts that donā€™t just cover first-party releases to keep these games alive in a physical format šŸ˜Š

Yeah I wonder how real the risk is. I'm assuming if they are stored well they will go on for our lifetime at least. Hopefully.

This is why I'm happy to have some dupes, I won't bother selling them.Ā 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

I'm curious where the rest of you on here are at.Ā 

Ā 

So far, I've collected a few carts.Ā  Some loose and some boxed.Ā  I am not a completionist.Ā  I'm just trying to get certain ones.Ā  There are still a lot that I want to buy including homebrews.Ā Ā 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I pre-ordered the new re-release of Food Fight from Atari.Ā  This'll be the first boxed 7800 game for me.

When it appears on Amazon I'm gonna order it too.Ā 

But next, Commando 7800 boxed.Ā 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

When it appears on Amazon I'm gonna order it too.Ā 

But next, Commando 7800 boxed.Ā 

Thatā€™s a good one. Once I have better controllers, Iā€™ll really dive into my copy.Ā 
Ā 

Someday I hope to be able to find a loose copy of Ikari Warriors 7800 for a price that isnā€™t ridiculous, as thatā€™s the only 7800 game left on my want list. Ā 

• Like 3