IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah, unfortunately those seem like some of the least likely to ever see re-issue so one must pay the piper.  If these trend anything like other retro consoles those prices will only get worse.  Mario Bros is pretty rare and dear as well, and while I like it, it's just an okay game really for what people are asking.  In the case of DK the 2600 versions are so poor that 7800 feels like the only real option to have them for real.  Or just use one of the 50 other ways to play them, but having those carts for my 2600+ sure is nice. :P

I own Donkey Kong on the Mini nes, which looks much nicer. But it is the memory of my childhood, which is why I bought exactly the version for the 2600. When I had an Atari 2600 in my childhood and wanted to have Donkey Kong so much, it was too expensive for my parents and I got the cheap versions from the quelle mail order catalog like Bobby goes Home. Donkey Kong was a 12 year old's unfulfilled dream, which is why I love the game so much today.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

I own Donkey Kong on the Mini nes, which looks much nicer. But it is the memory of my childhood, which is why I bought exactly the version for the 2600. When I had an Atari 2600 in my childhood and wanted to have Donkey Kong so much, it was too expensive for my parents and I got the cheap versions from the quelle mail order catalog like Bobby goes Home. Donkey Kong was a 12 year old's unfulfilled dream, which is why I love the game so much today.

Yep, I get it.  We all have our memories.  I don’t even hate DK 2600, but it’s the rare 2600 game I find difficult to spend any time with.  7800 version I enjoy, even if NES is a bit better.  And I’m the guy who loves something about 2600 PAC-Man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LS650 said:

Or more...  I'd be happy to pick up Centipede 7800 or Asteroids 7800, but eBay sellers are generally asking $40 each plus shipping for loose old carts.

I understand that Asteroids Deluxe or Space Duel now run with the firmware updates, so that route makes more sense than paying more for an old Asteroids.

I can confirm that Space Duel runs beautifully on the 1.1 firmware. It's the only 7800 homebrew I have but, as you said, with prices of the classic cartridges climbing in price, it makes sense to get those. So, I'll likely pick up more 7800 homebrews as there are several than interest me. I did get lucky and I got Asteroids for the 7800 before stuff went too crazy. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to just buy every cart I wanted from my childhood before they started going way up in price. I'm hoping Atari and Plaion eventually do re-releases of the 7800 versions of Asteroids and Centipede, since those are some of their best classics. It would be cool to even see a cartridge with dip switches that includes both the 2600 and 7800 roms for some of their classics that were out on both systems.

10 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Yeah, unfortunately those seem like some of the least likely to ever see re-issue so one must pay the piper.  If these trend anything like other retro consoles those prices will only get worse.  Mario Bros is pretty rare and dear as well, and while I like it, it's just an okay game really for what people are asking.  In the case of DK the 2600 versions are so poor that 7800 feels like the only real option to have them for real.  Or just use one of the 50 other ways to play them, but having those carts for my 2600+ sure is nice. :P

Yeah, I'm bummed that they cost so much because that was my childhood. But, the people selling them don't care, they only care about how much they can charge. They think everyone buying this stuff is a collector and will pay collector prices. I forget what I paid for my Famicom cartridges of DK and DKJR, but they're great cartridges and really easy to play on a US system with an inexpensive adapter. I can also play the NES versions on my Switch, thanks to Switch Online and I also have the arcade versions on there. So, I'm covered as far as DK and DKJR go, but I just love the 7800 versions so much.

As for Mario Bros, It's an OK game. It's my favorite of the classic Mario games. But, nothing is beating my Famicom cartridge that I paid $1 for plus $7 shipping from Japan. 😎

• Like 3

No new games yet, but I did go ahead and pre-order the CX-78+ Gamepad from Amazon.  I'll probably pick up Food Fight and possibly Ninja Golf down the line.  Fatal Run also looks good, but I'm happy to play it through the Atari 50 collection.

@MikeM_

I've never tried to own every game released for a system, but I will sometimes try to buy all of the games in a series if I really like it.  (Or all of the ports for a particular game.)  That said, I also hate buying sequels if I haven't played through the original game.  That said, that said, I will make an exception to that rule if it's financially beneficial to do so.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Heres my full collection of Quelle/other games. 

I also have Stopp Die Gangster on the way. 

IMG_20240201_112541.jpg

What is the name of the game in the middle row most right?

I have the others too, but my Space Robot has got a different label🤙

Very nice collection 🕹

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

What is the name of the game in the middle row most right?

I have the others too, but my Space Robot has got a different label🤙

Very nice collection 🕹

That game is Condor Attack, the label is the other way on that game, I messed up the photo.

I actually missed one game too, Motocross

IMG_20240202_131149.jpg

IMG_20240202_131157.jpg

IMG_20240202_131229.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

Look what arrived a short time ago.

In really fantastic condition.

To think that back in the day I played this on a ZX Spectrum. Until the 2600 Plus I had zero experience of 7800 games, so my main interest and nostalgia lies with 2600 games, but I'm picking up the cream of the crop 7800 games where possible too. It's a fun ride. 

IMG_20240202_131609.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Ooh! How good are those games?

They are a mixed bag. I have these more as a curiosity.

That said there's varying amounts of fun to be had with them all, almost... Pac Kong, hmmm, well there is a very small amount of fun there, but the name and artwork make it worth owning for me. 🤣👍🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

That game is Condor Attack, the label is the other way on that game, I messed up the photo.

I actually missed one game too, Motocross

IMG_20240202_131149.jpg

IMG_20240202_131157.jpg

IMG_20240202_131229.jpg

Ahh, I have Condor Attack with a Galactic label, yours looks pretty cool🤙

Motocross is on my list but I am not in a hurry, as it is quite conmon in Germany😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KainXavier said:

but I did go ahead and pre-order the CX-78+ Gamepad from Amazon.  I'll probably pick up Food Fight and possibly Ninja Golf down the line.  Fatal Run also looks good, but I'm happy to play it through the Atari 50 collection.

I pre-ordered the CX78+ and Food Fight.  The other 2 I can play on Atari 50.  I got Food Fight since the 7800 version isn't on Atari 50.  It'll probably be added in a future update.  But I want to own the actual game.  So, when it was announced, I grabbed a copy. 

• Like 2

Still making these “Let’s Play 2600+” videos. This one dropped Sunday and is my Atari brand arcade ports:

Activision part 1 drops Sunday 00:00 GMT and I think I’ve got a couple more before I move on to the Couchcade and Evercade collections (which I promise not to post about here) 😉

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Still making these “Let’s Play 2600+” videos. This one dropped Sunday and is my Atari brand arcade ports:

Activision part 1 drops Sunday 00:00 GMT and I think I’ve got a couple more before I move on to the Couchcade and Evercade collections (which I promise not to post about here) 😉

I don't mind, the Evercade is very cool too. :P

19 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Only elusive title for me is Ikari Warriors which was always pricy but is now ridiculous. haven’t even seen a loose one anywhere for a bit. 

Are you looking for the 2600 or 7800 version?  I found this listing for the 2600 version.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134914964805?hash=item1f698efd45:g:CEoAAOSwvgBlunfM

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I pre-ordered the CX78+ and Food Fight.  The other 2 I can play on Atari 50.  I got Food Fight since the 7800 version isn't on Atari 50.  It'll probably be added in a future update.  But I want to own the actual game.  So, when it was announced, I grabbed a copy. 

I pre-ordered all three games plus one joypad today. Yeah I can play them elsewhere but I want more releases so I'm ordering what I can to help support this thing (I'm not saying that you are not by the way). I have never used this particular controller so I am excited to see what it's like, and if it's better than my modified NES one.

As I've said elsewhere I don't need the extension cable as I have some Mega Drive/Genesis ones, they are full pin outs and work just fine. They don't have the nice Atari logo on, but I can live with that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

I pre-ordered all three games plus one joypad today. Yeah I can play them elsewhere but I want more releases so I'm ordering what I can to help support this thing (I'm not saying that you are not by the way). I have never used this particular controller so I am excited to see what it's like, and if it's better than my modified NES one.

As I've said elsewhere I don't need the extension cable as I have some Mega Drive/Genesis ones, they are full pin outs and work just fine. They don't have the nice Atari logo on, but I can live with that.

I ordered the one game, CX78+ & paddles.  I didn't want Ninja Golf or Fatal Run.  I've played them but for me I prefer Food Fight.  Also, I skipped on the extension cords since I have some already.  

• Like 3

My special multi-cart arrived today.  I tried using it on the Plus but it doesn't quite fit correctly.  The cart seems larger, even though it looks to be a standard size cart.  And I didn't want to damage the cart port or the cart itself by forcing it.  The good news is that it works perfectly on my 7800.  I'm glad to have that console as my backup for anything that doesn't work on the 2600+.  I will share a photo of the multi-cart.  It came with a box and manual too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Look what arrived a short time ago.

In really fantastic condition.

To think that back in the day I played this on a ZX Spectrum. Until the 2600 Plus I had zero experience of 7800 games, so my main interest and nostalgia lies with 2600 games, but I'm picking up the cream of the crop 7800 games where possible too. It's a fun ride. 

IMG_20240202_131609.jpg

Best version of the game on any system. 

28 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

My special multi-cart arrived today.  I tried using it on the Plus but it doesn't quite fit correctly.  The cart seems larger, even though it looks to be a standard size cart.  And I didn't want to damage the cart port or the cart itself by forcing it.  The good news is that it works perfectly on my 7800.  I'm glad to have that console as my backup for anything that doesn't work on the 2600+.  I will share a photo of the multi-cart.  It came with a box and manual too.

Interested to see this. 👍🏻

Surprised that it won't fit as I thought that the new slot was bigger than any of the old ones. Weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Interested to see this. 👍🏻

Surprised that it won't fit as I thought that the new slot was bigger than any of the old ones. Weird. 

Also, there's one game that doesn't work.  But at least the others do.

Update:

I got the game to work.  You can't select it while using the multi-cart.  If you do that, it turns the cart off.  You have to have the console off for that game & turn it back on to play it.  It's odd because you can select the other games while the console is on.  So, it's a weird trick but I'm glad I got the game working.  Yay.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2