IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

16 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

The Commando IP might be the problem and even if it would work without a Pokey on the 2600+, you need a warning sticker "not compatible with Atari 7800"...

I just wonder if 2nd hand carts with Pokey amputation might run on the 2600+ and could be of any use again?

Can Atari replicate the pokey chip to work with the the 2600+ and original hardware? 🤔

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I don't mind, the Evercade is very cool too. :P

Cheers, but I’ll post those links in the Evercade bit - I think I go off-topic enough as it is 😅. Their Atari console comps are really quite well-curated and deserved the 1&2 release slots 😁

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Maybe Atari could release them as they have done recently with food fight, ninja golf and fatal run? 🤔

I have to tell you my friend that whilst it seems on face of it an easy task to just release games, even when Atari own them like Food Fight etc it's so time consuming and expensive to go through the process, it's taken me 3 months to get everything ready to fully announce the three 7800 games. Then another 3 months to actually release it. 

When we look at third party games, like Commando Id estimate 1 year between deciding to go for it and it hitting the shelves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have to tell you my friend that whilst it seems on face of it an easy task to just release games, even when Atari own them like Food Fight etc it's so time consuming and expensive to go through the process, it's taken me 3 months to get everything ready to fully announce the three 7800 games. Then another 3 months to actually release it. 

When we look at third party games, like Commando Id estimate 1 year between deciding to go for it and it hitting the shelves.

I understand. There has to be interest. How many people actually want to physically buy and play these 40 year old games? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I understand. There has to be interest. How many people actually want to physically buy and play these 40 year old games? 

Carts have a special magic. I’m buying all three 7800 games despite having all of them in compilations on other systems. My hope is that something new to the system like Mr. Run and Jump comes along. I guess we’ll find out how many people think like me come May!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

To be honest I think I'd stick to Atari re-releases, Atari Enhanced and Homebrew games, keep it simple. No way would any licensing costs be worth your time. I just don't believe you'd sell enough units for Commando to be worth it, as good as it is

At best perhaps some Activitision games, but I guess it depends on what Phil would want. I know we are in good hands with you Ben anyway. 🤟🏻

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Carts have a special magic. I’m buying all three 7800 games despite having all of them in compilations on other systems. My hope is that something new to the system like Mr. Run and Jump comes along. I guess we’ll find out how many people think like me come May!

Me too and me too. 🤟🏻

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

It may not be for everyone but for me, nothing nothing! compares to clunking a cartridge in and booting up a game. That doesnt apply only to 2600 and 7800, but SNES, Megadrive and all the others I so fondly remember and still play to this day. I think that also extends to Gamecube and PS2 discs. Playing them on a PC via whatever just aint right, however I am very biased for obvious reasons, but even so I think that if I didnt have a job in this industry I'd still think think the same.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Could always sell them for a fiver more, I bet people would still buy. Shhhh, I didn't say that. 💁🏻😉

Hmm but the pricing for all the 2600+ range is I think a sweet spot. Its something I wrestle with on a near daily basis. So far so good, lets see how he land lays this time next year cause one things for certain I want it all to be bigger and better.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

💪💪

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

It may not be for everyone but for me, nothing nothing! compares to clunking a cartridge in and booting up a game. That doesnt apply only to 2600 and 7800, but SNES, Megadrive and all the others I so fondly remember and still play to this day. I think that also extends to Gamecube and PS2 discs. Playing them on a PC via whatever just aint right, however I am very biased for obvious reasons, but even so I think that if I didnt have a job in this industry I'd still think think the same.

Physical media. 💪

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hmm but the pricing for all the 2600+ range is I think a sweet spot. Its something I wrestle with on a near daily basis. So far so good, lets see how he land lays this time next year cause one things for certain I want it all to be bigger and better.

Yes. affordable 👍

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

To be honest I think I'd stick to Atari re-releases, Atari Enhanced and Homebrew games, keep it simple. No way would any licensing costs be worth your time. I just don't believe you'd sell enough units for Commando to be worth it, as good as it is

At best perhaps some Activitision games, but I guess it depends on what Phil would want. I know we are in good hands with you Ben anyway. 🤟🏻

Commando 7800 is one of the best ports for home systems and I guess the secret rooms are unique? 

It is one of my top 5 games for the system and even I don't collect boxes, this one I kept 😊

A possible enhancement would be a twinstick mode. Retro Moe, who designed the unijoysticle, did a hack of Commando C64 to add twinstick controls. Unfortunately it is not based on "Commando Arcade" which added the chopper at the beginning and fixed some sprite issues.

20240202_234700.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Cheers, but I’ll post those links in the Evercade bit - I think I go off-topic enough as it is 😅. Their Atari console comps are really quite well-curated and deserved the 1&2 release slots 😁

Yes the evercade atari 1 and 2 collections are good. You probably need manuals to play them properly thou. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Commando 7800 is one of the best ports for home systems and I guess the secret rooms are unique? 

It is one of my top 5 games for the system and even I don't collect boxes, this one I kept 😊

A possible enhancement would be a twinstick mode. Retro Moe, who designed the unijoysticle, did a hack of Commando C64 to add twinstick controls. Unfortunately it is not based on "Commando Arcade" which added the chopper at the beginning and fixed some sprite issues.

20240202_234700.jpg

Great atari 7800 port with music. better than the c64 version.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Great atari 7800 port with music. better than the c64 version.

I prefer the 7800 version for its game play, graphics and the secret rooms🕹

But I love the legendary C64 soundtrack by Rob Hubbard, it's my ring tone🎶

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I prefer the 7800 version for its game play, graphics and the secret rooms🕹

But I love the legendary C64 soundtrack by Rob Hubbard, it's my ring tone🎶

Yeah that C64 music was amazing. 🤟🏻

Edited by JetmanUK

A game I've banged the drum for on here a few times, Gas Hog, well I'm here again. 😋

Play Gas Hog 🤟🏻💁🏻

I just beat my high score, I was gutted to be so close to 10K though. Ah well, next play session. 

New high score - 9,920

IMG_20240203_002424.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3