IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

27 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Oh okay.  I thought you meant more titles coming.  As for the 2nd enhanced game, not sure what it is.  I was hoping it could be Frenzy since that's the sequel to Berzerk.  And Ben said it's an enhanced game like Berzerk.  Also, Atari bought Stern.  So, there's a chance it might be Frenzy.

This is from Wikipedia:

On March 16, 2023, Atari announced that it had acquired the intellectual property rights to 12 Stern Electronics titles, including Berzerk and Frenzy.

I am kinda hoping it will be enhanced Centipede and Millipede on one cart.

The reason being that these two games have basic blocky graphics and I have played enhamced ROMs where the graphics look much nicer.

I would like Frenzy at some point too though.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I am kinda hoping it will be enhanced Centipede and Millipede on one cart.

The reason being that these two games have basic blocky graphics and I have played enhamced ROMs where the graphics look much nicer.

I think you are referring to the latest Centipede TB version with my improved graphics and animation.

Here's a complete list of changes:

- removed / updated the frame-border around the playfield.

- re-draw the mushrooms graphics (now softer and closer to the arcade).

- edited the graphics of the damaged mushrooms and the graphics of the poisoned mushrooms.

-updated the eyes and the animation of the Centipede (now his feet are no longer alternate). 

- tweaked the graphics of the spider.

- used the arcade score font.
- updated the text font (options menu).
- updated some colors / details on the title screen.
- included the "TB" graphics on the title screen.

938385660_7800Centipedevariations.PNG.e0c2b93021b543ff4b7c6f0a1471bfbc.thumb.png.9ee7e679be92586bcfa7cb9242958de9.png

2089802996_7800Centipede_Arcade_Bezel_tbvs.PNG.984cdb39f4f3936f2a6da3894f754317.thumb.png.bfb8ba3d9eaed55fef777602eb71280f.png

Anp7E5.webp.e81eea5db2152a143ef2e36246aab80f.webp

@Ben from Plaion Ben, I was wondering if you might be interested in testing the latest update of 7800 "Centipede Deluxe TB". After the sudden passing of Ken Siders this final version remained in a dormant state on my hard disk for years and has never been shared publicly.

In addition, thanks to the help of @tep392 Perry, it uses the left difficulty switch to turn the arcade bezel on/off and right difficulty switch to select trackball or joystick mode, so you have my four variations of the game combined in one ROM/cartridge.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

I think you are referring to the latest Centipede TB version with improved graphics and animation.

- edited the graphics of the damaged mushrooms and the graphics of the poisoned mushrooms.

-updated the eyes and the animation of the Centipede (now his feet are no longer alternate). 

938385660_7800Centipedevariations.PNG.e0c2b93021b543ff4b7c6f0a1471bfbc.thumb.png.9ee7e679be92586bcfa7cb9242958de9.png

2089802996_7800Centipede_Arcade_Bezel_tbvs.PNG.984cdb39f4f3936f2a6da3894f754317.thumb.png.bfb8ba3d9eaed55fef777602eb71280f.png

@Ben from Plaion Ben, I was wondering if you might be interested in testing the latest update of 7800 "Centipede Deluxe TB". After the sudden tragic passing of Ken Siders this final version remained in a dormant state on my hard disk for years and has never been shared publicly.

In addition, thanks to the help of @tep392 Perry, it uses the left difficulty switch to turn the bezel on/off and right difficulty switch to select trackball or joystick mode, so you have my four variations of the game combined in one ROM/cartridge.

That looks great!

I have the standard Centipede TB version and love to play it with the CX80 Trakball🤗

Currently I play the original version with a pad, waiting for TB support on the 2600+

A cart with an enhanced version with true TB support I would buy instantly🤙

20170610_012003.jpg

• Like 2

Today I tested my Bermuda Triangle cart (from German Ebay seller) on a real PAL 2600 and... purple water!

It is NTSC! But on the 2600+ I do not have to care... all blue and I saved so much money for the shipping from the US😂

And today I got another very lovely game...

PYGMY🤙

It is a PAL version/hack of Lock n Chase and I love it! It looks nicer than the original and plays great. I am not a Pac Man fan but have fun with this game 🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹

20240213_195836.jpg

20240213_193254.jpg

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

That looks great!

I have the standard Centipede TB version and love to play it with the CX80 Trakball🤗

Currently I play the original version with a pad, waiting for TB support on the 2600+

A cart with an enhanced version with true TB support I would buy instantly🤙

20170610_012003.jpg

Yes, the factory had a Trackball set up with Missile Command and Centipede playing in TB mode when I visited them, I was instantly hooked and said I need this!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

I think you are referring to the latest Centipede TB version with improved graphics and animation.

@Ben from Plaion Ben, I was wondering if you might be interested in testing the latest update of 7800 "Centipede Deluxe TB". After the sudden passing of Ken Siders this final version remained in a dormant state on my hard disk for years and has never been shared publicly.

In addition, thanks to the help of @tep392 Perry, it uses the left difficulty switch to turn the bezel on/off and right difficulty switch to select trackball or joystick mode, so you have my four variations of the game combined in one ROM/cartridge.

Looks great. 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I played that game recently.  The controls are not that difficult.  I used a joystick and was able to play it just fine.  It's all about knowing which direction to push the joystick to match with what gun turret to fire at the ship.  The sequel has faster enemies I think.  So, that would be more challenging trying to shoot down the ships with the added speed. I prefer the original game. 

True, I just find it kind of clunky for a twitch shooter.  Have you played the Atlantis FH hack?  It allows you to fire the left and right cannons by just using the stick.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Today I tested my Bermuda Triangle cart (from German Ebay seller) on a real PAL 2600 and... purple water!

It is NTSC! But on the 2600+ I do not have to care... all blue and I saved so much money for the shipping from the US😂

And today I got another very lovely game...

PYGMY🤙

It is a PAL version/hack of Lock n Chase and I love it! It looks nicer than the original and plays great. I am not a Pac Man fan but have fun with this game 🕹🕹🕹🕹🕹

20240213_195836.jpg

20240213_193254.jpg

I like that lock n chase hack! Very nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, the factory had a Trackball set up with Missile Command and Centipede playing in TB mode when I visited them, I was instantly hooked and said I need this!

So does that mean Atari can make a trackball that was designed to work with the 7800 but got cancelled for reasons?

https://web.archive.org/web/20200831200828/http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/files/videogames/consoles/7800/7800trakball/

Edited by Bakasama
Added archive

31 minutes ago, Bakasama said:

So does that mean Atari can make a trackball that was designed to work with the 7800 but got cancelled for reasons?

https://web.archive.org/web/20200831200828/http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/files/videogames/consoles/7800/7800trakball/

Nice link. Thanks.

I saw and played with a trackball in August.

It's a very fun experience.

Does that mean I would love to make a trackball for the 2600+, yes it certainly does, but then I'm bogged down by technical and commercial challenges which just long things out possibly to a point of its just not worth it, happens all the time.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Nice link. Thanks.

Does that mean I would love to make a trackball for the 2600+, yes it certainly does, but then I'm bogged down by technical and commercial challenges which just long things out possibly to a point of its just not worth it, happens all the time.

I don’t know how well the new paddles with the 4-in-1 sold, but I can imagine a new trackball with a multi-cart:

7800 enhanced Centipede and Missile Command - they already exist right?

Crystal Castles could be included - even if only the 2600 version with arcade audio samples?

That sounds like something that would possibly even sell more 2600+. I may be dreaming, but it seems achievable maybe?

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Nice link. Thanks.

I get what you mean, there aren’t many Atari games that can use the controller and some games have been hacked to use them.

18 hours ago, KainXavier said:

True, I just find it kind of clunky for a twitch shooter.  Have you played the Atlantis FH hack?  It allows you to fire the left and right cannons by just using the stick.

Not sure.  I may have played that hack.  I've played hacks of 2600 games.  

Edited by Intellivision Master

18 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

PYGMY🤙

20240213_195836.jpg

20240213_193254.jpg

This is interesting.  I don't think I've seen or heard of this hack before.  Gotta love these hacked versions.  I have the regular Lock N' Chase.  It's a fun game.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

And I have 7800 Dig Dug, but I do like 2600 version.

I have Dig Dug on the 2600.  I like the way the graphics look on it.  There's something about it.  The 7800 version looks better of course.  I even like Dig Dug 2.  It's different because you're on an island and you don't dig underground.  But it's still enjoyable to play.  The one cool thing about it is you can cut out sections of the island and the enemies will fall into the water.  I'd like to see Dig Dug 2 on the 2600+ or 7800.  Because it was never on an Atari console before.  I talked about this game getting an enhanced version in a thread I made.  It probably won't happen. Most likely the first game would get enhanced but who knows. 

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I use trackballs all the time. It is also the only practical pointing device that works on a ship in rough sea.

FURUNO NAVNET VX2 Black Box Marine Radar Processor RPU-015, 46% OFF

There is a lot of different track balls but imho the best ones are thumb driven trackballs. The thumb has the best precise movement capability of all fingers. My current trackball is the EX-G. It is a lot cheaper as it is intended for home use.

8.png?v=1694707061&width=720

If the market for quality trackballs is too small for the 2600+ then perhaps it could be possible to attach some kind of converter like Mega 7800 to allow for 3rd party trackballs or gaming mice to be used with the 2600+.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, karri said:

I use trackballs all the time. It is also the only practical pointing device that works on a ship in rough sea.

There is a lot of different track balls but imho the best ones are thumb driven trackballs. The thumb has the best precise movement capability of all fingers. My current trackball is the EX-G. It is a lot cheaper as it is intended for home use.

If the market for quality trackballs is too small for the 2600+ then perhaps it could be possible to attach some kind of converter like Mega 7800 to allow for 3rd party trackballs or gaming mice to be used with the 2600+.

Yeah but that CX80 design is just something else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, karri said:

I use a trakball for work at home and took one to my office as well.

Never waste time to train your trakball hand😉

Even on C64 you can play Eye of the beholder now with TB😊

Trakball rulez🤙

20240214_212304.jpg

20240214_212258.jpg

20221215_153633.jpg

20221215_153750.jpg

• Like 1