IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

9 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I scored on a loose copy of Mr. Do for the 2600.  I couldn't pass it up.  Also, it was in my list of games to buy.  It reminds me of Dig Dug.  In fact Mr. Do was actually inspired by that game according to Wikipedia. 

I always liked Mr Do too, not quite as good as Dig Dug, but very close for me. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I scored on a loose copy of Mr. Do for the 2600.  I couldn't pass it up.  Also, it was in my list of games to buy.  It reminds me of Dig Dug.  In fact Mr. Do was actually inspired by that game according to Wikipedia. 

I don’t think I ever made that connection, although in hindsight it makes perfect sense to be inspired by Dig Dug. 👍🏼 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

A really good arcade port for the 2600.

• Like 2

My 2600/7800 cart collection has got me thinking hard about my other game collections and what I want to do with them. The 2600+ has made 2600/7800 gaming so convenient that it’s a no brainer it gets a permanent place in my gaming setup.

Problem is, I don’t really have the room for other legacy systems anymore, and my 2600 cart collection far outnumbers the others combined.

I’m seriously thinking of just selling my 5200,800,XEGS, and all the games. I doubt I’ll get much for them (most of what I have for those systems is pretty common, and I have 2600 or 7800 versions of every game I have on those systems), but reclaiming the space they currently take up in storage would be nice. Especially that beast of a 5200. Ha ha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Two purchases arrived today: Tac-Scan and a RetroGameBoyz 7800 controller.

Tac-Scan runs, but unless I install the latest 'experimental' firmware it doesn't accept paddle input. I'm debating whether I want to go from 1.1 to experimental... 

I connected my 2600 Jr. to test the cart and it works fine - but dang, now that I'm used to the Plus' HDMI output, the old school RF connection for the Junior looks pretty awful!

The controller works well.  It feels very much like your typical NES game pad.  The two fire buttons work identically for 2600 games, and operate as A and B for 7800 carts.  The Select/Start buttons are interpreted as left/right also.  The cable is long and seems good quality too.

20240219_131657.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

My 2600/7800 cart collection has got me thinking hard about my other game collections and what I want to do with them. The 2600+ has made 2600/7800 gaming so convenient that it’s a no brainer it gets a permanent place in my gaming setup.

Problem is, I don’t really have the room for other legacy systems anymore, and my 2600 cart collection far outnumbers the others combined.

I’m seriously thinking of just selling my 5200,800,XEGS, and all the games. I doubt I’ll get much for them (most of what I have for those systems is pretty common, and I have 2600 or 7800 versions of every game I have on those systems), but reclaiming the space they currently take up in storage would be nice. Especially that beast of a 5200. Ha ha!

Second shop I visited in Chicago had a boxed 5200 and the trackball. Guy tried to sell it to me, but I was like “Mate that isn’t going to fit in my luggage 😂!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Do it. 

To be blunt, when I read the thread on the latest update, it sounds like it breaks almost as many things as it fixes.  

Since Tac-Scan is my only non-working cart with v1.1, I'm going to sit it out for a while and wait for an update that is a bit more stable.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LS650 said:

To be blunt, when I read the thread on the latest update, it sounds like it breaks almost as many things as it fixes.  

Since Tac-Scan is my only non-working cart with v1.1, I'm going to sit it out for a while and wait for an update that is a bit more stable.

It’s just as easy to reload 1.1 beta if the experimental one causes you issues.

Edited by chad5200
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 8:57 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I have the M Network version of Lock N' Chase as a loose cart.  I never played the INTV version.  However, I did play the arcade version of it on my Data East Arcade collection for the Evercade. 

Single biggest thing is the INTV one the screen ends when you get the last dot, versus MNetwork forces you to escape.  I found it easier to use the walls in the INTV, though perhaps force of habit as that's what I had as a kid..never played the MNetwork one till recently.  I have played the arcade version at Funspot in NH though.

10 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Nice grab, one of my wants still

• Like 1

A question regarding your collections… which generally accepted to be a crap game do you own and enjoy?

I probably have a few, as I have always quite liked a crap game. For example I enjoyed Fast and Furious on the Wii U (It’s on Xbox 360/PS3/WiiU/PC, look it up on YouTube, it’s terrible but awesome).

The one that immediately stands out in my mind right now is Airlock.

Yes it’s short, super simple and once you get it you can breeze through it and there’s not really much of a reason to go back, but I found it oddly satisfying and (SPOILERS :P) quite cute with the celebration on the submarine at the end.

An extra screen, more variety in the graphics and a score that would give you something to beat and this game would be more highly regarded. As it is I still like it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

A question regarding your collections… which generally accepted to be a crap game do you own and enjoy?

I probably have a few, as I have always quite liked a crap game. For example I enjoyed Fast and Furious on the Wii U (It’s on Xbox 360/PS3/WiiU/PC, look it up on YouTube, it’s terrible but awesome).

The one that immediately stands out in my mind right now is Airlock.

Yes it’s short, super simple and once you get it you can breeze through it and there’s not really much of a reason to go back, but I found it oddly satisfying and (SPOILERS :P) quite cute with the celebration on the submarine at the end.

An extra screen, more variety in the graphics and a score that would give you something to beat and this game would be more highly regarded. As it is I still like it.

I have an impression people are generally not impressed with Gorf or Stampede. I don’t have anything glowing to say about Gorf, but I think it’s fine; better if it had the Galaxian wave. Stampede, however, is a game that I quite enjoy for the novelty of the premise. It kind of encapsulates the auteur spirit of early Activision for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I have an impression people are generally not impressed with Gorf or Stampede. I don’t have anything glowing to say about Gorf, but I think it’s fine; better if it had the Galaxian wave. Stampede, however, is a game that I quite enjoy for the novelty of the premise. It kind of encapsulates the auteur spirit of early Activision for me.

Yeah Gorf is really quite average for me, I was playing it a few days ago and I enjoyed it more than previously, but it was still not great, lots of better shooters... But I get why someone might like it. 

Stampede, I've tried to like and completely failed, I will try again. It doesn't help that my cart is super finicky to get loading. 

• Haha 1

Not meaning to hog this topic but I have to share what arrived a short time ago.

It's my first, and probably last 20th Century Fox boxed game and it's fantastic. The features and little details of their box is lovely.

I think the game is pretty great too. Fox made good games. 

IMG_20240220_131429.jpg

IMG_20240220_131435.jpg

IMG_20240220_132014.jpg

IMG_20240220_132024.jpg

IMG_20240220_132106.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, LS650 said:

That's what I'm worried about.  The newer update causing more problems.  I'm still on the default firmware.  I'm waiting for the final version.  I'm not in a hurry to update the console.  So far all my games have played fine on the default firmware.  If something doesn't work, I can just play it on my 7800.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

I have an impression people are generally not impressed with Gorf or Stampede. I don’t have anything glowing to say about Gorf, but I think it’s fine; better if it had the Galaxian wave.

Gorf Arcade by Champ Games has the Galaxian wave.  But of course the Champ Games carts don't run on the 2600+.  It'd be nice if they did.  I have Galagon and play it on my 7800.

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah Gorf is really quite average for me, I was playing it a few days ago and I enjoyed it more than previously, but it was still not great, lots of better shooters... But I get why someone might like it. 

You might like the Gorf Arcade version from Champ Games.  It has to be played on original hardware though.  It's in my list of games to buy.  I would play it on my 7800.  It's good to have an older console to try these homebrew games out since they won't work on the Plus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Gorf Arcade by Champ Games has the Galaxian wave.  But of course the Champ Games carts don't run on the 2600+.  It'd be nice if they did.  I have Galagon and play it on my 7800.

You might like the Gorf Arcade version from Champ Games.  It has to be played on original hardware though.  It's in my list of games to buy.  I would play it on my 7800.  It's good to have an older console to try these homebrew games out since they won't work on the Plus.

I agree, I am mulling over replacing my old 4 switch Woody* with a fancier 6 switch model for this purpose, at some point, reeling the spend in a little right now after months of Atari madness. 

*The video quality is kinda crappy on my woody, ghosting, a slighlty drifting signal. I am hoping other consoles out there may be better.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I agree, I am mulling over replacing my old 4 switch Woody* with a fancier 6 switch model for this purpose, at some point, reeling the spend in a little right now after months of Atari madness. 

*The video quality is kinda crappy on my woody, ghosting, a slighlty drifing signal. I am hoping other consoles out there may be better.

My 7800 has an AV mod.  I bought it because I didn't want RF.  It's hooked up to an old smart TV that has the AV port.  The picture quality isn't bad.  There is a little fuzziness but it doesn't bother me.  It's probably because it's connected to a smart TV and not a CRT.  If I still had a CRT, I would use that.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's what I'm worried about.  The newer update causing more problems.  I'm still on the default firmware.  I'm waiting for the final version.  I'm not in a hurry to update the console.  So far all my games have played fine on the default firmware.  If something doesn't work, I can just play it on my 7800.

I had a couple of "unplayables" laying about, like Robot Tank, so I finally got around to installing the second beta.  Overall it seems perfectly fine.  When hot swapping the loader might be a tad slower?  Only real issue that I THINK I noticed, because I played it a lot on original firmware, is in Donkey Kong I can occasionally (like every game session) hear a brief but distinct audio slowdown in the galloping music theme when Mario has the hammer.  Can't tell that it affects the game any, but I do wonder that 7800 performance has suffered some.  I only have about ten 7800 games but I need to try more of them.  Thing is, of the ones I have, I still tend to prefer 2600 versions for several of them.  Need to get more 7800 exclusives, but good gravy look what people want for Commando?  I tried it a little on GSP and it's just okay so there is no way :P

• Like 4

On 2/19/2024 at 3:05 PM, JetmanUK said:

One of my faves! A great purchase, you'll enjoy that and at a good price too.

Let me know how it loads, mine and I believe @Dr Karnovs is a little flaky.

Mine came with the manual, but I have never actually opened it. I keep all my manuals together, I should take a look really as some of them are really nice.

Fantastic game.

After a few more cleans, my Polaris cart now loads up, glitch free about 90% of the time 

• Like 3