IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

12 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think one button jumps and one button shoots on Tower Toppler.

Nope, Tower Toppler is definitely a one button game. If you're not moving, the button shoots, and if you're moving, the button jumps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I had a go today and will need to wait for the CX78+ for Tower Toppler, but worse than that, the gaps in the tower floor are almost invisible on 2600+ via hdmi. I’m guessing on a CRT that was clearer. There is a hole in the floor just in front of the frog in this photo. It’s actually easier to see in the photo than when moving. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, ewokmic said:

Thanks. I had a go today and will need to wait for the CX78+ for Tower Toppler, but worse than that, the gaps in the tower floor are almost invisible on 2600+ via hdmi. I’m guessing on a CRT that was clearer. There is a hole in the floor just in front of the frog in this photo. It’s actually easier to see in the photo than when moving. 

image.jpg

Tower Toppler is fixed in the latest beta update. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I like Spitfire but it should have autofire... to continuously tap the fire button is nonsense if simulating a WWII fighter plane🙃

Right, that would have been great.  I can use my Archer joystick with auto fire on my 7800.  It doesn't want to work on the 2600+.  Even just using the buttons without auto fire, nothing happens.  It's finnicky on the Plus.  But when using the joystick on my 7800, the buttons & auto fire work fine.  I'll test Spitfire Attack with the Archer joystick on my 7800 because I like the auto fire option.  It's nice when a shooting game already has auto fire built in.  Some shooters don't and that's where the Archer joystick comes in with that auto fire switch.  What's nice about the auto fire switch, is that once it's turned on, you don't need to hold down the buttons to fire.  It'll do it for you and I like that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think one button jumps and one button shoots on Tower Toppler.

I actually like Tower Toppler. The shoot em up levels in between stages breaks up the gameplay nicely, and has some great parallax scrolling. I remember it as Nebulus on the C64.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Right, that would have been great.  I can use my Archer joystick with auto fire on my 7800.  It doesn't want to work on the 2600+.  Even just using the buttons without auto fire, nothing happens.  It's finnicky on the Plus.  But when using the joystick on my 7800, the buttons & auto fire work fine.  I'll test Spitfire Attack with the Archer joystick on my 7800 because I like the auto fire option.  It's nice when a shooting game already has auto fire built in.  Some shooters don't and that's where the Archer joystick comes in with that auto fire switch.  What's nice about the auto fire switch, is that once it's turned on, you don't need to hold down the buttons to fire.  It'll do it for you and I like that.

Maybe the auto fire unit consumes to much power on the 2600+, so it fails 🤔

My Quickshot II and Mikrohändler have autofire and work on the 2600+.

20240210_224322.jpg

20240207_200729.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240210_224322.jpg

20240207_200729.jpg

Wow, I like the look of those Mikrohändler sticks. Expensive?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

20240210_224322.jpg

20240207_200729.jpg

It could be a power usage problem, I don't know.  There have been a couple of times where the Archer joystick buttons worked on the Plus.  I don't recall the auto fire ever working on it though.  Not sure why the buttons work and then don't work.  It's weird.  The joystick works perfectly fine on my 7800.  I guess the 2600 Plus just doesn't like the Archer joystick.  Maybe an update fixes that issue or maybe I need to try a different joystick with auto fire.  Currently I don't have a back up option with auto fire.  I might have to try the Quickshot II because like you said, it works on the 2600 Plus.  In the meantime, I use the Archer joystick on my 7800, at least it's compatible on that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Now you need to aquire a 2 controller adapter so you can use both buttons for SpyHunter. 
IMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.e78bf26334db2dd4cb43bc5643ef026b.jpeg

I need to get one of those for Robotron 2084. I've seen them for sale on Etsy.

I would prefer to get a dual stick controller like the one from BD Retro Mods thou they are not available in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, shane857 said:

I need to get one of those for Robotron 2084. I've seen them for sale on Etsy.

I would prefer to get a dual stick controller like the one from BD Retro Mods thou they are not available in the UK.

BD Retro Mods told me that he does ship internationally.  You just have to give your address.  But there might be certain places he doesn't ship to.  I like the twin stick controller I got from him.  It works really well. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:23 PM, LS650 said:

The controller works well.  It feels very much like your typical NES game pad.  The two fire buttons work identically for 2600 games, and operate as A and B for 7800 carts.  The Select/Start buttons are interpreted as left/right also.  The cable is long and seems good quality too.

Update:  When I first received this 7800 controller, it often registered UP input when I was pushing Left or Right.  After chatting with the builder, I opened it up and found that the silicon pad with the four conductive 'dots' was not quite seated properly.  I reseated it and the D-pad now works great.  I've been using it daily for the last couple of weeks without issue.  It works great and I would recommend it.

You can find them on etsy or google 'RetroGameBoyz' for more info.  Cost was around $58 US plus shipping.

controller.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Update:  When I first received this 7800 controller, it often registered UP input when I was pushing Left or Right.  After chatting with the builder, I opened it up and found that the silicon pad with the four conductive 'dots' was not quite seated properly.  I reseated it and the D-pad now works great.  I've been using it daily for the last couple of weeks without issue.  It works great and I would recommend it.

controller.jpg

I have one but it's the black/white design.  I like it.  The thumbstick is a nice add on as well.  He has some new designs out.  

I like the new rainbow 7800 gamepad.  I might get it just for the heck of it.

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-2600-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-space-invaders

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-2600-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-pitfall

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-2600-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-rainbow

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I actually do want one. I know Dr Karnov has one, where was yours from?

Got mine from eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/usr/eightbitwidgets

there are two different configurations. 

one for Spyhunter where the top controller is turned 90degrees so the buttons align, and a different one for robotron to allow for two stick play. 

mine is the spyhunter configuration. 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 2

I ordered a Robotron controller from Retrogameboyz ten days ago. I decided to go for this as my Unjoysticle 2 Bluetooth adapter got lost in the post and I had a re-think, rather than ordering another one.

I requested a custom build though, instead of it being in a 7800 controller configuration with both buttons being the same in a 2600 game and two independent buttons in a 7800 game it will be a fire button on the left port and a fire button on the right port. With it being twin stick it’s basically two controllers in one housing, I can play two player games with my daughter on one controller, might be chaotic fun! I already have a 7800 controller and one pre-ordered so I figured this would give me alternative options.

Robotron.png

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I ordered a Robotron controller from Retrogameboyz ten days ago. I decided to go for this as my Unjoysticle 2 Bluetooth adapter got lost in the post and I had a re-think, rather than ordering another one.

I requested a custom build though, instead of it being in a 7800 controller configuration with both buttons being the same in a 2600 game and two independent buttons in a 7800 game it will be a fire button on the left port and a fire button on the right port. With it being twin stick it’s basically two controllers in one housing, I can play two player games with my daughter on one controller, might be chaotic fun! I already have a 7800 controller and one pre-ordered so I figured this would give me alternative options.

Robotron.png

I may get one of those. Depends on the price thou with shipping/customs/tax.

This arrived today. First thing I did was rip off the seal and gave the cart a clean. For a 40 year old sealed game It's in great shape. 

Box smells a bit...'funky' thou 🤭🤢

Works perfect. Love this game, somebody should defo make a sequel 👍

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 11

17 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

where was yours from?

did somebody say..  coupler?  =D

I make a slew of them for various systems..  more coming..  though i'm branching into some other areas of classic accessories..  https://8bitwidgets.etsy.com however if you contact me directly I can get you a better price on stuff, but if you prefer going through a store, there ya go :)

Caleb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ewokmic said:

Oh good to know. I updated 3 or 4 weeks ago so must have missed a newer one. Thanks. 

1.1 REV 2 fixed it. I should have read the other thread. Thanks. Now is there a future update to make the game easier? 😂

image.jpg

• Haha 5

I tested Spitfire Attack on my 7800 using the Archer joystick with auto fire.  It works very well.  Makes the game easier.  If only there was a target lock on feature in the game like I mentioned in a previous post.  Because sometimes it's difficult to line up the shot.  But other than that, it's a great game.  Simple and fun as it should be.  

• Like 2