IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yep…I have the 2600 version. My CIB came with a Sweepstakes Catalog and order form.

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4231.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4228.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

Almost looks like they're using 7800 screenshots on the box, but in fact they did a reasonable reproduction of the 7800 graphics on the 2600 version.  Obviously not quite as nice but that they attempted these visuals at all and kind of succeeded.

1 minute ago, Alex_813 said:

This came in the mail yesterday. Very cool game. Plays great on 2600+

PXL_20240316_013154047.jpg

I have that game, it's fun.  It'd be nice to use the Flight Commander controller made for the game.  But it might not work on the Plus.  Also, the controller is a bit pricey. But it would be cool to have it and play the game that way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I picked up a One on One Basketball, an Atari 7800 Super Game Cartridge!  I figured this won't get a re-release, as Atari would need to get EA, Dr. J and Larry Bird all on board. 

It's also common and affordable - and seems to get decent reviews.  I've thought about picking it up but I just don't enjoy most sports games.

I have only been collecting for the Atari original VCS/2600+ for about 6 months or so. Games are so pickup and play, not menu after menu.

I have spent more money on games to play on these two systems than my Playstation 4 pro...which is currently gathering dust.

Bought these today.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

£54 including postage - cheapest I’ve seen with a picture label on it. Had to clean it, but worked a treat.

Pretty sure it’s a PAL copy.

One of my fave Activision games - don’t think I played it until Activision Anthology on Gameboy Micro. If I hadn’t switched my attention to Atari 8-bit computer games in high school there’s probably a lot of 2600 games I’d have picked up in bargain bins post-crash…

If the item number on the bottom right of the label has three letters and starts with E or P, it should be the PAL version.
The NTSC games only have two letters in the first block.

H.E.R.O. is a game that I would also like to have in my collection. Unfortunately, the prices for it are currently far too high. With a lot of luck, an eBay auction occasionally ends for around 50 euros for a loose module. Some sellers are asking for 100 or more 100 euros. However, if you take a closer look, some of these offers have been online for months and apparently no one was willing to pay these insanely high prices.

Why is H.E.R.O. so expensive? It's a great game but not particularly rare. I would compare it to Pitfall 2, which can still be found at moderate prices.

Another thing that comes to mind about Hero is that there are always offers from France that also have the E... designation, but are not PAL but rather SECAM games, if I read that correctly. Has anyone ever compared a SECAM game with PAL or NTSC? It would be interesting to know if the colors are different.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I picked up a One on One Basketball, an Atari 7800 Super Game Cartridge!  I figured this won't get a re-release, as Atari would need to get EA, Dr. J and Larry Bird all on board. 

fP4xsAW.jpeg

One on One is pretty fun.  This was a game I had on Apple II.  It's especially cool that you can occasionally break the backglass. 

I have Double Dunk. I wonder how it compares.

• Like 2

Super Football arrived🤙

It looks... well... super🤗

Sometimes I even believe I know what's going on😉

I need to check the manual as in Europe we play soccer and do not have a clue about football😅

I once watched a game when the sons of my cousin played 2nd league in Germany.

Well, had trouble to follow and enjoyed the barbecue😋

I played Soccer, my father Ice Hockey and my godson Baseball. For all 3 I know the rules very well but Football...🙄

20240316_233145.jpg

20240316_233157.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Well, I broke the budget for the next couple months, but I added a couple rare titles which I’ve only seen go up in price lately so I decided to pull the trigger. 
IMG_4053.thumb.jpeg.49dbc2f4a7271edeb27b28de8e05cfaa.jpeg

Ikari Warriors was a bucket list item. I remember playing this on other consoles as a kid and have wanted it for 7800 ever since I got one. I like the controls on it a lot. Plays really well. Pricy, but glad I got it. 

Mr. Do’s Castle came out of a desire to get my Parker Bros collection closer to complete and I enjoy having more arcade ports. It’s going to take a bit to get the hang of it. Keep hitting the enemies when I don’t mean to. 

Only 2 Parker Bros. games left now. Qbert’s Cubes and Strawberry Shortcake. Qbert is an equally expensive title so it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Does anyone know if it plays yet on the plus? The official list still says no. Strawberry Shortcake I really have zero interest in, and it’s still pretty cheap so maybe I’ll outgrow any completionist tendencies and just skip it. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Opened and played. Yep, my copy includes the poster manual and a growth chart.

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

Maybe it’s because I’ve continued to love the Muppets well into adulthood, but it’s always going to feel odd to me that this was considered a game meant primarily for younger kids. It’s way more complex than the Sesame Street games and more fun as well.

I have the same opinion for Snoopy and the Red Baron as well. Both great games. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

If the item number on the bottom right of the label has three letters and starts with E or P, it should be the PAL version.
The NTSC games only have two letters in the first block.

H.E.R.O. is a game that I would also like to have in my collection. Unfortunately, the prices for it are currently far too high. With a lot of luck, an eBay auction occasionally ends for around 50 euros for a loose module. Some sellers are asking for 100 or more 100 euros. However, if you take a closer look, some of these offers have been online for months and apparently no one was willing to pay these insanely high prices.

Why is H.E.R.O. so expensive? It's a great game but not particularly rare. I would compare it to Pitfall 2, which can still be found at moderate prices.

Another thing that comes to mind about Hero is that there are always offers from France that also have the E... designation, but are not PAL but rather SECAM games, if I read that correctly. Has anyone ever compared a SECAM game with PAL or NTSC? It would be interesting to know if the colors are different.

H.E.R.O. was released just before the crash, so quantities are more limited.

• Like 1

I've never heard of the "growth chart" before from Hasbro. 

That's amazing. And from a different time.

Nice busting open Pigs in Space.  That created a bit of an earthquake, from your post.  In its own way.

Very cool.

I see you've got a good amount of impressively rare games and prototypes, @sramirez2008.  I'm curious about a few of them. For one, is Good Luck, Charlie Brown playable?

Edited by CaptainBreakout
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

is Good Luck, Charlie Brown playable?

Sadly, not much game play at all. You can move Charlie Brown around and extend his kite. With a 2nd joystick connected to Player 2, you can move the balloons, left & right across the screen. There's a write-up on the AtariProtos site

Charlie Brown.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday Activision Sports Action Pak was delivered. It contains four pal games. I think it was made for Australia. I bought it primarily in order to play Enduro on my original 2600 and on the 2600+. But Ice Hockey, Fishing Derby and Dragster are classics too - in my opinion. Enduro is an extreme reaction based game. My all time favorite racing game. It's challenging and fair in my opinion. I never owned the cart in my childhood. I borrowed it a few times from a video rental shop and enjoyed it very much. But on modern emulation hardware I feel some latency problems in Enduro. Just a feeling. Not sure. And the new Atari Joystick feels like a bit too stiff for this game. So I took my 40 year old competition pro and played Enduro on my original 2600 Jr. which is connected to my small crt. It felt like the force was with me. I reached round 8 and took a shot from the score on the screen in order to compare - next week - with my scores on the 2600+. I'm really curious if I will be able to beat this score on the 2600+. This will tell me whether there are latency problems with Enduro on my 2600+ or not.

BTW: Does anyone know what happens in Enduro after round 9? Is round 10 counted as "0"? I must admit I never got so far.

sportspack.jpg.6ef5b74a14bfcc2fb25782f5bf56f006.jpg

enduro.jpg.05d41215bc67ca33faddaaa91f18211b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

And the new Atari Joystick feels like a bit too stiff for this game. So I took my 40 year old competition pro and played Enduro on my original 2600 Jr. which is connected to my small crt. It felt like the force was with me.

You might like the Hyperkin trooper joystick.  I have that and it's a good controller.  It doesn't have the stiffness, also it has a longer cord.  There's even 2 buttons so you can hold the controller in either hand which is nice.  

By the way, "The force will be with you always".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Mr. Do’s Castle came out of a desire to get my Parker Bros collection closer to complete and I enjoy having more arcade ports. It’s going to take a bit to get the hang of it. Keep hitting the enemies when I don’t mean to. 

I'd like to get that game but the price is just not low enough.  I have the first one for 2600 and I enjoy it.  Sometimes, I run into the enemies as well.  It's a bad habit.  Lol.  I forget to hit them with the ball.  Usually I just evade them.  Recently I played Mr. Do arcade and actually beat it.  There's only 10 levels then it just loops with different colors for the background.  The arcade version is tougher because there are more enemies on screen and they move fast.  Especially those red guys.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shane857 said:

I have only been collecting for the Atari original VCS/2600+ for about 6 months or so. Games are so pickup and play, not menu after menu.

I have spent more money on games to play on these two systems than my Playstation 4 pro...which is currently gathering dust.

It's fun to collect the older games.  Pickup and play is the way to go.  With the modern games, it's all about updates & when buying a modern game, you don't get the full game anyway until you download it.  Whereas the retro games, the full game is there with no download or update needed.  Don't get me wrong, I like modern games too.  But going back and playing an older game is nice.  And you know you can just play it and have a good ole time. 

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, LS650 said:

It's also common and affordable - and seems to get decent reviews.  I've thought about picking it up but I just don't enjoy most sports games.

Me neither.  I do however like bowling.  It'd be nice to see a new bowling game on the 2600+ or perhaps release an enhanced version of the original game for the 2600+.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:07 PM, shane857 said:

Bought these today.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Looking forward to playing Gravitar, in particular...

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Me neither.  I do however like bowling.  It'd be nice to see a new bowling game on the 2600+ or perhaps release an enhanced version of the original game for the 2600+.  

There are a few exceptions to the rule.  Activision's Ice Hockey and Tennis are actually pretty decent, and can be played solo as well as 2-player.  I also like Golf and Miniature Golf.  

• Like 3