IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I've just bought Miniature Golf, I've played the ROM previously. It's fun, super simple reeks of the early days of gaming.

I think it could be renamed...Minimalist Golf. 

The only golf game I've got on cart (that doesn't feature ninjas) is Mean 18 for 7800. I tried to play it but had trouble figure out how the swing works. I keep meaning to give it another go 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

The only golf game I've got on cart (that doesn't feature ninjas) is Mean 18 for 7800. I tried to play it but had trouble figure out how the swing works. I keep meaning to give it another go 

Golf without Ninjas? Pah, unacceptable. If there's no Ninjas in a game I wear my Ninja outfit whilst I play. 💁🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

Picked these up at Wal*Mart yesterday. They are $10 for a 2 drawer pack. Each drawer fits 28 carts.

PXL_20240318_022247364.jpg

PXL_20240318_025111689.MP.jpg

I have been looking for something like this for a while. Will have to make a Walmart run it looks like

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 2:47 AM, Pac-Man Senior said:

Yesterday Activision Sports Action Pak was delivered. It contains four pal games. I think it was made for Australia. I bought it primarily in order to play Enduro on my original 2600 and on the 2600+. But Ice Hockey, Fishing Derby and Dragster are classics too - in my opinion. Enduro is an extreme reaction based game. My all time favorite racing game. It's challenging and fair in my opinion. I never owned the cart in my childhood. I borrowed it a few times from a video rental shop and enjoyed it very much. But on modern emulation hardware I feel some latency problems in Enduro. Just a feeling. Not sure. And the new Atari Joystick feels like a bit too stiff for this game. So I took my 40 year old competition pro and played Enduro on my original 2600 Jr. which is connected to my small crt. It felt like the force was with me. I reached round 8 and took a shot from the score on the screen in order to compare - next week - with my scores on the 2600+. I'm really curious if I will be able to beat this score on the 2600+. This will tell me whether there are latency problems with Enduro on my 2600+ or not.

BTW: Does anyone know what happens in Enduro after round 9? Is round 10 counted as "0"? I must admit I never got so far.

sportspack.jpg.6ef5b74a14bfcc2fb25782f5bf56f006.jpg

enduro.jpg.05d41215bc67ca33faddaaa91f18211b.jpg

It will be interesting to see your take. I find games more challenging on the 2600+ when going for a high score.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:21 AM, LS650 said:

It's also common and affordable - and seems to get decent reviews.  I've thought about picking it up but I just don't enjoy most sports games.

On 3/16/2024 at 3:44 PM, CaptainBreakout said:

One on One is pretty fun.  This was a game I had on Apple II.  It's especially cool that you can occasionally break the backglass. 

I have Double Dunk. I wonder how it compares.

After playing three games, two as Bird and one as Dr. J, the 7800 version of One-On-One is OK, but not as good as the 8-bit computer version. I went and played One-On-One on my Atari 8-bit computer to confirm and the control of the 7800 version isn't as tight as the computer version and the action is a little more sluggish.  Everything just seems slightly off with the 7800 port.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

It will be interesting to see your take. I find games more challenging on the 2600+ when going for a high score.

I tried it two times on the 2600+ and it was like expected. No chance in comparison to the score on original hardware. I took the same old Competition Pro but it felt not the same on the 2600+. I remember playing Enduro on my Flashback X and I reached round 4 or 5 - on a good day. I've got the same problems with emulated Pac-Man. Definitely too many wrong turns because of control or display latency. In game one my personal record is over 25.000. But on emulation hardware merely 7.000. As a motivation on top I write my personal Atari highscores into an excel file on my old MyPal Pocket PC. So I can be very sure about this highscore relation between original and emulated hardware.

Edited by Pac-Man Senior
error
  • Like 2

Following it's mention on here I bought this one... also bought another game mentioned in the same comment, that's still on the way from the USA. 😁

This is a difficult game and a little too quiet, more sound effects would have been nice, but it's a fun game. 

EDIT:

It's this game

https://www.atarimania.com/pgesoft.awp?version=7954

IMG_20240319_142754.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

Nice buy, @JetmanUK !  It's the famous A Misterous Thief!

That's probably one of those games that gives you a little bit of an edge in PAL format.  I can say that every time I've tried that game, it was just a bit too difficult, but I've got the NTSC-M version from CCE so it plays slightly faster (too fast, I think).

Apparently there's some German games on the way to me. One of which is Der Moderne Ritter (which means The Modern Knight). And features a picture of Mr Do on the label artwork.  But, in the spirit of nonsense from these weird games... It has nothing to do with knights or clowns.  It's Fast Eddie!

And that's perfect... Since it's a PAL game it's more like... Not Quite As Fast Eddie.

I'll be sure and take some pics.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Nice buy, @JetmanUK !  It's the famous A Misterous Thief!

That's probably one of those games that gives you a little bit of an edge in PAL format.  I can say that every time I've tried that game, it was just a bit too difficult, but I've got the NTSC-M version from CCE so it plays slightly faster (too fast, I think).

Apparently there's some German games on the way to me. One of which is Der Moderne Ritter (which means The Modern Knight). And features a picture of Mr Do on the label artwork.  But, in the spirit of nonsense from these weird games... It has nothing to do with knights or clowns.  It's Fast Eddie!

And that's perfect... Since it's a PAL game it's more like... Not Quite As Fast Eddie.

I'll be sure and take some pics.

Yes, thank you for the suggestion, you will probably remember the other game that is in the post to me too.

Fast Eddie is pretty good, and by the same programmer that made the infamous Gas Hog. 💁🏻😁

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

I tried it two times on the 2600+ and it was like expected. No chance in comparison to the score on original hardware. I took the same old Competition Pro but it felt not the same on the 2600+. I remember playing Enduro on my Flashback X and I reached round 4 or 5 - on a good day. I've got the same problems with emulated Pac-Man. Definitely too many wrong turns because of control or display latency. In game one my personal record is over 25.000. But on emulation hardware merely 7.000. As a motivation on top I write my personal Atari highscores into an excel file on my old MyPal Pocket PC. So I can be very sure about this highscore relation between original and emulated hardware.

21 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Highscore lists seem to be a good approach to compare.

I have the feeling HERO plays a little less accurate on the 2600+ but I can not prove it.

Regarding input lag, there are so many factors playing their part.

Modern TVs even in gaming mode provide (different) input lag and it is hard to find the absolute values anywhere. However, my real HW comes in via Retrotink5x to a flat screen too. I can not afford such a big flat to have CRT TVs😉

The SW plays a role.

To which load do you refer?

1.1x-r2 is the best for PAL gamers.

In HERO the sprite runs fluent on this load while it had stutter in other loads.

The joystick input via MCU.

I had different adapters 9pol to USB for my Raspi and only one is good.

The 2600+ seems to work very well but maybe it causes my HERO sprite sometimes to perform two steps instead of one?

Technically there must be some lag but the overall 2600+ experience is good.

But yes, for a highscore real HW plus CRT(!) should give you some advantage.

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yes, thank you for the suggestion, you will probably remember the other game that is in the post to me too.

Fast Eddie is pretty good, and by the same programmer that made the infamous Gas Hog. 💁🏻😁

And Fast Eddie NTSC is better than the PAL clones like Mr. T or Der moderne Ritter. There are these strange dots moving with your sprite😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

And Fast Eddie NTSC is better than the PAL clones like Mr. T or Der moderne Ritter. There are these strange dots moving with your sprite😊

Hmmm.  Yeah, I was wondering about those dots in the screen shots.

I like the cart label of Der Moderne Ritter so much better then Fox's US release.  The red paper labels of 20th century fox carts are my least favorite Atari carts. They always look cruddy and the paper starts to fray.

I like Beany Bopper, but I admit that I'm biased since I had that as a kid. That's the only original 20th century fox cartridge I haven't traded away.  It passes for an Activision cartridge on the shelf from a distance.

• Like 2

Well, it arrived today. I know the carts from this range/era are not the most exciting to look at, but I enjoy the straight forward professional and premium look and feel of them. I like the part number for this particular game too.

IMG_20240320_161703.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Received a copy of Worm War I yesterday and was playing it last night.

I enjoyed it, but found it a bit easy.  I'll have to try a harder difficulty tonight.

WW1.png

Yes, great game. Starts off easy and then the difficulty ramps up.

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Well, it arrived today. I know the carts from this range/era are not the most exciting to look at, but I enjoy the straight forward professional and premium look and feel of them. I like the part number for this particular game too.

IMG_20240320_161703.jpg

They should have kept the dust covers on the carts. I have never had one of these fail.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I know some people really dislike the controls, but I find it's pretty straight-forward and I actually quite like Miniature Golf

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I know some people really dislike the controls, but I find it's pretty straight-forward and I actually quite like Miniature Golf

It's good, I like it. A real change from shooting things. 

48 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Tower Inferno NTSC arrived 🤙

If a game looks interesting, is NTSC and available from a local seller I go for it.

An US import would have had trippled the price of this one 😊

You are a fire fighter🕹

20240320_204106.jpg

20240320_204158.jpg

I have this one too, and I like it. The game sprite looks a bit questionable though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2