IGNORED

Saw a Jaguar "Dev kit" in the Wild - LA Video Games

Judas-Prime

I was in LA for a quick trip and walked into an LA game store on Melrose. They have a Jaguar "Dev Kit" with an included game called Morphius. I didn't pick it up cause i didn't have $2500 but I was allowed to remove the console to inspect it. It looks legit with the small ribbon cable coming out of the back (not a BJL mod). I did not see an Alpine board and could not power the console on, but i wanted to pass along in case anyone wanted to investigate it further.

Happy Hunting!

Cheers

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am fully uneducated on the subject of dev kits and BJL mods and I make no official claims about the machine... but It seemed hella suspect to me thus why I passed it along to 'yall experts. I didn't see a BJL switch so I wasn't sure if that was necessary for a BJL mod or not. Either way, thanks for the information! And yes, there was a cart inside and it was Cybermorph. I told the store owner that I doubted that it was a dev kit, but since its a private collection he just shrugged and said, "Thats between the buyer and the owner. The store makes no claims about the machine, thats why you contact the seller directly." 

Either way, $2500 was silly expensive. Thanks for clearing this up for me!

The mods might want to fully delete this post so no-one pays 2500 for a modded Jag that isn't a "Dev Kit".

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Hold B means it's BJL modded.

I believe the official Stubulator debug ROM also requires pressing B to boot carts.

That being said:

3 hours ago, Judas-Prime said:

he just shrugged and said, "Thats between the buyer and the owner. The store makes no claims about the machine, thats why you contact the seller directly." 

Aka "I know this is fishy as hell, but I don't care as long as I make my cut".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yeah, this is worth about (current going jag price) + $15 without the Alpine. It's trivial to install the alpine cable and stubulator BIOS (Google 'jaguar stubulator bios 94' for a billion links to the BIOS image, then follow the BJL mod guides to flash & install it except use the stubulator ROM instead of the BJL ROM) on any retail Jaguar (I did this personally on one of mine, because I actually have an Alpine board, and it didn't cost me nearly this much). The Alpine board is the only actual rare part of an actual Jaguar Dev Kit. Do not buy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Judas-Prime said:

The mods might want to fully delete this post so no-one pays 2500 for a modded Jag that isn't a "Dev Kit".

It's probably better to leave this up to serve as a warning. Better yet, a mod can edit the original post with a warning, like "NOT AUTHENTIC - SEE COMMENTS BELOW" or something like that.

• Like 3

That's what I always worry about with these things. I've messaged several sellers on EBay selling fake "rare" stuff and they always swear up and down they're repeating what they were told when they bought it. Not that that justifies leaving bootleg or reproduction goods for sell once you've been notified, but I bet at least half of them are telling the truth.

Either way, I like to message them so it's on record they've been notified in case there's a dispute later.

• Like 1

I don't hold the shop owner in any negative light. He was up front about the dubious nature of the console, allowed me to open it and inspect it. Overall I liked the store, and it was nice to see plenty of physical media in a game store that wasn't all old copies of Madden or Sonic '06. The shop rents the display cases out to local collectors and doesn't take a cut of the sales price. You can't even buy the machine from the store, you have to call/text the collection owner and after that you arrange payment outside of the shop. The shop wont even ship the item to you, its all second party... It would be nice if they vetted things better, but since you aren't technically buying the item from the store its essentially a peer to peer transaction. However, I completely understand the perspective this type of arrangement can imply.

Punisher, thanks for deleting the number.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, Clint Thompson said:

It will be there until they go out of business. 👌

Probably.

I want to say I got a Felix and Rapier from "Game Exchange" (the same people who recommended Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales to me for the first time!)  They had received the development kits from a salvage auction of some type after Telegames in Dallas was hit by a tornado.  There were Qix of Lynx and other Telegames releases at thrift stores around the Dallas area for quite a while from that.

The two development systems in 1999 was $100 for the pair.   I only mention this to point out the inflation of $2,500 and to say the word "Bidenomics".

Edited by doctorclu

On 12/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, Judas-Prime said:

I was in LA for a quick trip and walked into an LA game store on Melrose. They have a Jaguar "Dev Kit" with an included game called Morphius. I didn't pick it up cause i didn't have $2500 but I was allowed to remove the console to inspect it. It looks legit with the small ribbon cable coming out of the back (not a BJL mod). I did not see an Alpine board and could not power the console on, but i wanted to pass along in case anyone wanted to investigate it further.

Happy Hunting!

Cheers

Hi Judas-Prime, this is really cool.   Is there any chance they could power up the system for snap shots of the contained game?

4 hours ago, doctorclu said:

I only mention this to point out the inflation of $2,500

They might not be exactly common but feel a fair value for a core dev Jag unit itself is probably worth $500 and the same goes for an alpine, $500, making it about a $1,000 system or setup though most no one would even use it I suspect given the modern tools now available. Clearly way more if it included a TT030.

How many actually exist, probably sitting on a collector shelf for the past 20 years unused? 150-200?

7 hours ago, madman said:

There's the doctorclu origin story we've all been waiting for. 

Yes, Game Exchange out of Carrolton, not to be confused, I don't believe, with the franchise of "Game Exchange" that currently exists around the Dallas area. So if you've enjoyed all the years of me talking about Bubsy, you have them to thank.

(I'm sure some are scrambling to complete their time machine as we speak...)

7 hours ago, dilinger said:

Could you provide pictures? I have heard about these but do not remember how it looks like. Thanks.

You got it!   Here was the Rapier, which actually did display at least:

https://web.archive.org/web/20091027101349/http://www.geocities.com/lady-aramis/Rapier/

Here is the Felix, which didn't display but WAYYYY more interesting looking on the inside:

https://web.archive.org/web/20091027101357/http://www.geocities.com/lady-aramis/Felix/

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, doctorclu said:

Hi Judas-Prime, this is really cool.   Is there any chance they could power up the system for snap shots of the contained game?

There was no contained game. Sadly It was just a copy of Cybermorph.. I think Morphius was a pc game back in the mid 90's... not really sure though.