IGNORED

New 2600+ Arrived Broken

Clayticus

9 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I'm just one of those s*** happens kind of people. Things are going to break. Could it have been made of stronger plastic? Probably. And it still might have broken. The broken PS4 I saw in the video I watched last night was broken in a spot with some very thick plastic, yet it clearly took a drop onto the corner of its case and a whole chunk was missing and there were some other breaks. By comparison, the part that broke on the 2600+ that @Clayticus got is very thin and the 2600+ actually sustained less damage than the PS4. Of course, I also don't know the distance each object fell, the weight, physics stuff, etc. (I'm not a scientist)

I'm just always glad to see a company that's willing to make it right when things like this happen out of the box.

Yes, definitely. To be clear, I was joking... and not trying to make fun of @Clayticus.

I broke my wedding ring that's made of Tungsten Carbide... which apparently requires 40 thousand pounds of pressure for it to crack. It has a band of platinum in the middle that keeps it together, otherwise it would have shattered into a dozen pieces. I was told I could never break it and that it was unbreakable. Sigh...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yes, my standard, don't give a shit about anyone else.

That makes two of us.

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I'm just waiting for the conspiracy nuts to come out with crazy theories about China and planned obsolescence. 😂

No need.  Has Nintendo not proven all it takes is a marginal hardware revision paired with a hot new release and people will re-buy the same device they already have?  Next year, they can just put an SD or USB port on it and call it 2600++.  If they want to really sweeten the pot, they can build-in A8/5200 emulation and re-release Adventure II and Yoomp in a cartridge with a 2600 form factor.  It'll sell; no problem.

But also, you don't know for sure that all the flickering in Mr. Run and Jump is not an pulse-encoded trigger message to awaken CCP sleeper agents within the Atari community.  

19 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

That was basically my point. It's all about angles of impact.

My mistake, I was just extrapolating on it.

19 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I'm a former paratrooper. Nobody ever told me that.

Which is why I said "used to". Unless you served in WW2 or maybe Korea, they probably told you instead to land with your legs partially bent facing the ground so you could roll/step into the landing (and also broken legs are better than a broken spine).

But back in WW2 they didn't know that so they just went with the simpler approach to physics. I know there's a lot of Boomers and such here, but I don't think you guys are THAT old, lol.

Cats actually do the same thing when falling.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

No need.  Has Nintendo not proven all it takes is a marginal hardware revision paired with a hot new release and people will re-buy the same device they already have?

With the OLED Switch, sure, but stuff like the New 3DS was actually kind of undersold for how much of a CPU/graphical update it was.

While the amount of N3DS exclusive games is low, that's more because it underperformed commercially. But there are plenty of games and emulators that run like absolute ass on an OG model that run great on the N3DS/N2DS

If you were looking to support this argument, Apple probably would've been a better go-to. Especially since there is actual concrete evidence that they directly implement timed-obsolescence in their devices, but brainlets and spoiled rich kids still eat them up.

21 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Next year, they can just put an SD or USB port on it and call it 2600++.

I mean, that's kind of what they gamestation is, it just also looks really ugly by trying to be "modern" imo.

And before anyone says anything, I feel the same way about the Jr. and 7800. I'm aware it's modeled after them.

Hell, while I'm at it, I also hate the way the NES and North American SNES look. They look like they were made by the fucking USSR with how gross and utilitarian they look.

1 hour ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

With the OLED Switch, sure...

OLED Switch, Switch Lite, DS Lite, DSi, GBA SP, GBA SP with Backlight, GBA micro, GB pocket, GB Light, funky-colored GB, funky-colored N64...

1 hour ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

They look like they were made by the fucking USSR with how gross and utilitarian they look.

Tell me you weren't alive in 1986 without telling me you weren't alive in 1986.

A) The fucking USSR made lots of aesthetic things, and B) no, it doesn't.  It looks like what would happen if you asked Giorgetto Giugiaro to design a VCR, which is to say, it looks sleek and futuristic and cool.  7800, Jr., SMS, etc. all looked like they were trying to look like that and failing.

SNES just looked stupid.

53 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

OLED Switch, Switch Lite, DS Lite, DSi, GBA SP, GBA SP with Backlight, GBA micro, GB pocket, GB Light, funky-colored GB, funky-colored N64...

I mean the GBA SP was kind of a necessary upgrade to be able to see WTF you were playing. I agree with the rest, but they also weren't really things EVERYONE bought and "upgraded" to.

Tell me you weren't alive in 1986 without telling me you weren't alive in 1986.

Well, my bio says "Zoomer Retro-Enthusiast" so I don't think I'm hiding that, lol.

A) The fucking USSR made lots of aesthetic things

You cannot tell me Soviet Block Apartments and shit like GAZ, Lada, and UAZ cars aren't like comically mass-produced and angular. I know they made some beautiful shit in Stalinist and Brutalist styles (though those also are mostly angular and greyscale) but in general it was form over function... which I don't inherently hate, but the NES is extremely ugly.

B) no, it doesn't.  It looks like what would happen if you asked Giorgetto Giugiaro to design a VCR, which is to say, it looks sleek and futuristic and cool.  7800, Jr., SMS, etc. all looked like they were trying to look like that and failing.

Bruh, it's a gray and black box. Maybe it looked futuristic at the time, but now it's just bland. I will say the famicom is WAAAAAY to busy and the contrast of the color palate is excessive, but I'd prefer it to the NA version.

MY favorite version was prototype 1, since it looked futuristic without being so plain.

image_2023-12-22_122833839.png.710a56a8ff3d7b8e174b583e591ca5e7.png

Looks like some proper retro-futurism Star Trek/Back to the Future 2 shit compared to a grayscale prism. The only issue is the buttons are square iirc.

ROB was cool though.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

22 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

SNES just looked stupid.

Agreed. Gray and purple are terrible and the design is just so plain next to the MegaDrive/Master System. And it sucks because the PAL version of the SNES is just the SFC, but for some reason america felt the need to change this sleek stylish design into a bulky garish mess.

How to tell good PAL ports from bad ones? - Super Nintendo Entertainment  System - Giant Bomb

Like, dear god why?!

• Like 1

Hell, either of the NES Prototypes look more sleek and futuristic than what we got in all honesty.

NES Prototype 2 ConsoleNES Prototype 3 Console

Prototype 2 looks like a 1980s PS3 ffs.

Again, I assume we got what we got because it was just cheaper/easier to make a gray plastic rectangular box than any of these designs that would fit in on a spaceship set (in a good way).

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

6 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Which is why I said "used to". Unless you served in WW2 or maybe Korea, they probably told you instead to land with your legs partially bent facing the ground so you could roll/step into the landing (and also broken legs are better than a broken spine).

But back in WW2 they didn't know that so they just went with the simpler approach to physics. I know there's a lot of Boomers and such here, but I don't think you guys are THAT old, lol.

Cats actually do the same thing when falling.

There are only a handful of WWII vets still alive. I doubt many of them give a crap about video games.

I went to Airborne school in February of 2002. And, yes, we were taught to land with our legs partially bent and loose but to definitely not look at the ground. People who look at the ground tend to do what's called "reaching for the ground," where you'll instinctively try to extend your legs towards the ground in anticipation of landing. If you don't look at the ground, you won't see it coming and won't anticipate it. People who reached for the ground tended to wind up with broken legs, while the rest of us just wound up sore but functional. I knew a guy whose chute collapsed and he fell pretty far and broke his back.

I was in the 82nd Airborne, so we had to learn a lot about the history behind Airborne units and parachuting into combat. Basically, in WWII, the idea was so new that there was a lot of making stuff up as they went. So, it's not really a surprise that they may have been told something asinine like to try to flatten out.

24 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

There are only a handful of WWII vets still alive. I doubt many of them give a crap about video games.

I went to Airborne school in February of 2002. And, yes, we were taught to land with our legs partially bent and loose but to definitely not look at the ground. People who look at the ground tend to do what's called "reaching for the ground," where you'll instinctively try to extend your legs towards the ground in anticipation of landing. If you don't look at the ground, you won't see it coming and won't anticipate it. People who reached for the ground tended to wind up with broken legs, while the rest of us just wound up sore but functional. I knew a guy whose chute collapsed and he fell pretty far and broke his back.

I was in the 82nd Airborne, so we had to learn a lot about the history behind Airborne units and parachuting into combat. Basically, in WWII, the idea was so new that there was a lot of making stuff up as they went. So, it's not really a surprise that they may have been told something asinine like to try to flatten out.

So far as WWII Airborne training, it depends on where you were trained. Camp Toccoa, Georgia most certainly taught troopers to bend their knees and to look forward. 

I did not go to Brag, but I went to Benning's home for boys before Lost in the woods. Had to learn a lot of history as well. Mostly about the best officers and their notable achievements.

I was about 4 years ahead of you.

37 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

So far as WWII Airborne training, it depends on where you were trained. Camp Toccoa, Georgia most certainly taught troopers to bend their knees and to look forward. 

I did not go to Brag, but I went to Benning's home for boys before Lost in the woods. Had to learn a lot of history as well. Mostly about the best officers and their notable achievements.

I was about 4 years ahead of you.

Well, as you well know, there was eventually only one US Military Airborne School, and that's at Benning. Though, someone told me recently that it's not called Benning anymore. They renamed it Fort Moore because Benning was a Confederate General.

Anywho, yeah, I went to Benning for infantry OSUT on August 31, 2001 and then to Airborne school after that was over. Then it was on to Bragg.

7 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

The WWII vet comment was a joke. Just saying @scifidude79

I'm aware of this. And I was just saying there aren't a lot of those guys left. I met some about 20 years ago, along with some guys who went to Korea and Vietnam. Cool guys, every one of them. I was at a convention for current and past members of the 82nd Airborne. Basically, we got drunk and traded war stories.

48 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I'm aware of this. And I was just saying there aren't a lot of those guys left. I met some about 20 years ago, along with some guys who went to Korea and Vietnam. Cool guys, every one of them. I was at a convention for current and past members of the 82nd Airborne. Basically, we got drunk and traded war stories.

My step-grandfather was one. Died at 91.

10 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

I know there's a lot of Boomers and such here...

Woah... dude... you're going to end up getting yourself kicked off here. I don't know of ANY Boomers on here. I'm sure there's a couple. We are GEN-X ers... you know... the MTV / Pepsi / Cold War / 80s hair bands generation. We are NOT Boomers... ok? If you were born in 1964 through 1981, you are a card carrying member of Generation X. We are the people who's parents let us do whatever the hell we want... watched A-Team, and ran around the neighborhood with toy guns that looked just like the real thing. Please don't call me or anyone else here a Boomer.

8 hours ago, MrTrust said:

SNES just looked stupid.

8 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Agreed. Gray and purple are terrible and the design is just so plain next to the MegaDrive/Master System. And it sucks because the PAL version of the SNES is just the SFC, but for some reason america felt the need to change this sleek stylish design into a bulky garish mess.

How to tell good PAL ports from bad ones? - Super Nintendo Entertainment  System - Giant Bomb

Like, dear god why?!

I can't remember when the SNES came out... maybe 1991?

I was 12 years old when it came out, almost 13... so I was still in middle school. I'll tell you that for most of us who were alive around that time and were about that age... we'd all grown up with the Atari 2600. Few people had the 7800 or 5200, and the vast majority of people made the leap from the 2600 to the original NES. Back in 1991, the NES was still a very, very popular video game system, so the SNES was truly "next generation." For most of us... the SNES (at the time) was viewed as incredibly modern and futuristic. Not really in the same way that people viewed the 5200 (as sleek and modern), but the SNES was like... amazing. The sound, the graphics, everything was so "alive." I realize that seems silly now, but no one looked at the SNES and thought it was ugly as shit.

I'm going to do my automotive comparison again. You can look at the vast majority of cars from say... 1993 (a good year for comparison), and they almost all look like crap today, but at the time... looked very modern. Let's take the Pontiac TransAm for example. The Firebirds from say 1982-1989 were super 80s looking (obviously). squared off, boxy... but also angular and wedge shape (a design that's illegal now by modern safety standards). So then you take a look at say, a 1993 Pontiac TransAm, and most people would say... that's ugly as shit. Your baby is ugly. But at the time... we thought it was the most amazing styling ever.

I guess the best way to say it is... "had to be there..."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Woah... dude... you're going to end up getting yourself kicked off here. I don't know of ANY Boomers on here. I'm sure there's a couple. We are GEN-X ers...

I mean, my dad is boomer and he had an Atari. He was a 62 birth so he was the VERY cusp of the cutoff, but that's the main thing I was thinking of.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

On 12/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, 82-T/A said:

Totally random, I know... but I see you're from Richmond, VA. I used to live there when I was a kid in the mid-1980s. I loved Richmond. There was a science museum built from an old train station... I think it's now called the Virginia Science Museum, but that place was awesome back then. So many cool things to do... definitely miss that place.

Yep! The Science Museum of Virginia used to be Broad Street Station way back in the day. It's still there and looking better than ever. They just replaced the surface parking lot with a brand new park. That place is beautiful. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clayticus said:

Yep! The Science Museum of Virginia used to be Broad Street Station way back in the day. It's still there and looking better than ever. They just replaced the surface parking lot with a brand new park. That place is beautiful. 

That's awesome... next time I'm doing an I-95 trip, I'll have to stop by. My dad managed the restoration of the Jefferson Hotel back in the mid-80s, and then managed it for a few years when it was a Sheraton. We didn't live in the hotel though, I lived off Parham Road which wasn't directly in the city. Man, so many 80s memories from back then...

On 12/22/2023 at 10:14 PM, 82-T/A said:

That's awesome... next time I'm doing an I-95 trip, I'll have to stop by. My dad managed the restoration of the Jefferson Hotel back in the mid-80s, and then managed it for a few years when it was a Sheraton. We didn't live in the hotel though, I lived off Parham Road which wasn't directly in the city. Man, so many 80s memories from back then...

They just finished another huge restoration on The Jefferson about a year ago. That place is beautiful, especially this time of year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clayticus said:

They just finished another huge restoration on The Jefferson about a year ago. That place is beautiful, especially this time of year. 

Oh no way, that's awesome, I'll definitely have to check it out. When my dad took it over, the place had been closed down for nearly 20 years after a large fire. The owners were like Bruce Springsteen and some other semi-famous person... they agreed to contract out with Sheraton who managed the restoration. Originally it had alligator pools in the upper atrium (at the top of the stairs)... they were considering actually having them fill with water, and even possibly getting alligators, but of course it was a PETA (and insurance) concern, so they just put statues in there.

The most controversial thing was the railing up the center of the staircase. That staircase was originally in the movie Gone With the Wind, but they were forced to put the railing up the middle because of modern safety codes. It was such a cool hotel. Fun fact, there's actually a house right next to it which has a secret entrance from the basement into the hotel. I don't know if the home is still there... but it was a fantastic plantation style home with an enormous entry-way. I remember going in there before the place had been renovated, and the entire center of the floor had collapsed into the basement. My guess is they probably tore down the house. I should check it out. I remember that hotel well though... my mom actually named all the restaurants inside... Lemaire. Which no offense to my mom, didn't make much sense to me. But my mom had said that Thomas Jefferson lived in France for many years and that it had some kind of profound effect on him. 

Anyway... sorry to ramble... some of my favorite years of my childhood were in Richmond. I would kill for one of those row-houses down monument row.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:32 PM, MrTrust said:

Not many temporal ones, but a whoooooole lotta' spiritual ones.

Yeah, there’s a lot of guys on here who might be physically aged as Gen-X, but they have the incredibly ignorant, closed minded opinions of dumbass Boomers, that’s for sure. Whole lotta guys in here who think Archie Bunker was a hero, rather than the reality: the butt of all the jokes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, scifidude79 said:

And I've seen ceramic dishes fall from 4-6 feet. One lands on its bottom and is fine, the other lands on its edge and shatters into a lot of pieces. But, whatever. I've got no stake in this and it's not worth arguing over. Either way, this person's console is broken and Ben is going to make it right.

I’m still waiting to find out if they console got fixed, but I love how far off the rails this thread went 😂

As far as shattering things that don’t shatter I have a set of six IKEA glasses and I’ve fumbled a couple of them TWICE where they landed flat on their base from sink height onto my tiled kitchen floor and didn’t break or crack at all. I can only conclude IKEA has some of the most advanced glass drinking vessel production facilities on the planet.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, Sean_1970 said:

I’m still waiting to find out if they console got fixed, but I love how far off the rails this thread went 😂

As far as shattering things that don’t shatter I have a set of six IKEA glasses and I’ve fumbled a couple of them TWICE where they landed flat on their base from sink height onto my tiled kitchen floor and didn’t break or crack at all. I can only conclude IKEA has some of the most advanced glass drinking vessel production facilities on the planet.

@Ben from Plaion came through. He sent me a replacement bottom shell. It came in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to replace it until a few minutes ago. Just as he told me, it took < 2 to swap out. Now I'm back to playing (and being really bad at) Berzerk and Mr. Run and Jump. 
On a side note: this is my first Atari hardware, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for homebrews. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clayticus said:

@Ben from Plaion came through. He sent me a replacement bottom shell. It came in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to replace it until a few minutes ago. Just as he told me, it took < 2 to swap out. Now I'm back to playing (and being really bad at) Berzerk and Mr. Run and Jump. 
On a side note: this is my first Atari hardware, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for homebrews. 

Well, the only Homebrews I know of that work on the 2600+ are Juno First and Tower of Rubble; both of which I would recommend.  However I think only Tower of Rubble would be on sale on Atari Age right now.

• Like 1