IGNORED

Atari 2600+ 10in1 Multi-cart

Intellivision Master

I had the dipswitch set for the Video Pinball game.  I inserted the cart into the console.  The cart loaded and the right game displayed.  But when using the controller, nothing would happen.  I had to use the reset button on the console.  Then I was able to use the controller & the game worked fine.

This is the only game I played so far on the multi-cart.  I wasn't expecting to do a reset in order to get the game working.  At first I thought something was wrong with the controller.  Anyway, I'm glad the reset fixed the issue.

Has anyone else had this happen when using the multi-cart?

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes thats exactly how you start to play in most 2600 games. Press Game Reset lever to start. Was the same back in the day.

Good to know.  When I play Berzerk, I just press the fire button to start.  No need to use reset.  That's why I questioned it because I didn't know if it was normal.  I thought reset was for starting the game over or if there was a problem.  I never had an Atari console before and I never used a multi-cart on one.  I used to have the Atari FB 9 but that only played digital games.  Having an Atari console with physical games is a new experience for me.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

There are conventions for starting a 2600 game, but Atari conventions were never strictly followed.  But overall it's pretty simple.

Early games (1977-1980-ish?):  select game mode with Select switch or accept default, start game with Reset switch

Later games (1981+): select game mode with Select switch or accept default, start game with Reset switch OR maybe Fire button

3rd party games: follow Atari conventions except when they don't 🤔 ???

When in doubt, check the game manual, or just try it out.

• Like 4

"Couch compliance" was a very rare thing back then.   I think they expected you to be playing on the floor cross legged next to the console staring up at the TV.  Which in their defense was how you had to do it with the early pong consoles (some of which had the control dials built directly into the system!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

There are conventions for starting a 2600 game, but Atari conventions were never strictly followed.  But overall it's pretty simple.

Early games (1977-1980-ish?):  select game mode with Select switch or accept default, start game with Reset switch

Later games (1981+): select game mode with Select switch or accept default, start game with Reset switch OR maybe Fire button

3rd party games: follow Atari conventions except when they don't 🤔 ???

When in doubt, check the game manual, or just try it out.

Thanks for the detailed information.  If I had a manual I would have looked into that.  Luckily I knew to just hit reset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup thats right Berzerk can start with a fire button press but a lot of 2600 games need the Game Reset Lever to start.

Hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of your machine.

I'll remember to use the reset lever from now on if a game doesn't start with the controller.  I'm liking the console.  It's neat to have an Atari 2600 that really looks like the original from back in the day.  And it plays carts which is great.  Nothing like putting in a real cart and taking it out.  You can't get that with digital.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

Thanks for the detailed information.  If I had a manual I would have looked into that.  Luckily I knew to just hit reset.

Just FYI, click "2600" at the top of the screen here and then find your game and go to the manual scan.  All the manual contents (or enough of them) should be there.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

All the manual contents (or enough of them) should be there.

Good info...

Although I kind of wondered when I saw this thread and decided to check. 

The manual is there for Video Olympics, but unless I missed it, it doesn't say to hit Reset to start the game...

OK, page 5 of what I think is the original VCS manual does say it:
Depress the RESET switch.  Game action will begin.  By depressing

the RESET switch anytime during the game, the score will reset

to 0-0.

Edited by desiv
  • Like 2

I was going to say, many Atari games actually do use the console to start, rather than just push fire. 2600 intended to use the console for options and its why the short stubby 4' controller cord, while the system cables are a mile long, to keep the system close at hand.

I think its why so many have said, instructions pls. I love the cardboard sleeve, but the 2600 isn't very intuitive, especially for those that didn't grow up with it. And many games aren't standardized. Some fire to start, some reset, some select...don't get me started on choosing difficulty, which is all over the place. 

Luckily, this day in age, we have help. Atariage is your friend, most instructions are scanned and easily accessible here. Don't know how "printer friendly" they are, but I often never look at one again once I know game settings and start.

• Like 3

I don’t know if this is true of any other games, but Dark Cavern from M-Network starts when you move the joystick. Nothing is consistent from game to game; especially with third parties: difficulty switches can be for difficulty one game, for another it just changes a feature or they aren’t used. Some games use the B&W/Colour switch for a function like displaying a map. Manuals are really useful!

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I don’t know if this is true of any other games, but Dark Cavern from M-Network starts when you move the joystick. Nothing is consistent from game to game; especially with third parties: difficulty switches can be for difficulty one game, for another it just changes a feature or they aren’t used. Some games use the B&W/Colour switch for a function like displaying a map. Manuals are really useful!

Pitfall is like that too, where the countdown timer starts when you first move. Though when you run out of lives, it requires using the Reset switch to start a new game, then it waits again until moving to start the countdown timer.

Yeah, it can be inconsistent between various games. What can throw me off though is where the majority (or most) of games (especially single player games) require the controller / joystick plugged into the left-side, but there are some that require the controller to be plugged into the right-side (even for a single Player game), like I've recently discovered with Wizard of Wor (which is a game I got recently to play on my 2600+).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

Pitfall is like that too, where the countdown timer starts when you first move. Though when you run out of lives, it requires using the Reset switch to start a new game, then it waits again until moving to start the countdown timer.

Yeah, it can be inconsistent between various games. What can throw me off though is where the majority (or most) of games (especially single player games) require the controller / joystick plugged into the left-side, but there are some that require the controller to be plugged into the right-side (even for a single Player game), like I've recently discovered with Wizard of Wor (which is a game I got recently to play on my 2600+).

That’s weird - I have the PAL version and it plugs into the left. I suppose it makes sense given player one starts on the right side of the screen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, littaum said:

"Couch compliance" was a very rare thing back then.   I think they expected you to be playing on the floor cross legged next to the console staring up at the TV.  Which in their defense was how you had to do it with the early pong consoles (some of which had the control dials built directly into the system!)

image.thumb.png.34c0dfccaa452e3461d1541f88d042b4.png

Still got to get up and press levers, but much comfier with a long lead, or really whats best is a wireless controller

• Like 4