IGNORED

Porch Pirates

reifsnyderb

43 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

In light of this incident, I've put a stop to my hardware development projects.  I'll continue to sell what's already been developed but am going to dedicate my creative time to another non-computer related project.

This is a sad announcement for the Atari community.  The 1090 was something that should have been released back in 1983 and might have kept Atari in the forefront of home computing, but Atari's retreat fed into the rumors of it's immanent demise and helped kill future sales, literally ceding the lead to Commodore.  If Atari had a single forward thinking corporate person with a backbone at the time things might have gone much differently.  Allowing Atari to fade away left it susceptible to Trameil buying it and  further set up the sale of Amiga to Commodore instead of Atari developing the computers they had initially funded.

Is it too late to pick up one of the CPM cards?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

In light of this incident, I've put a stop to my hardware development projects.  I'll continue to sell what's already been developed but am going to dedicate my creative time to another non-computer related project.

That's sad to hear. Looks like that Radomski dude also got himself removed from the bad trader list, and a few days ago, this thread was the second google hit if you googled his name with "buyer", but now it's been removed due to privacy violation 😕 

Re PayPal disputes, I always ask people to pay as "Friends & family". That way they can never revoke their payment. Downside is that they have to trust me on my word, and because scammers always ask for F&F (exactly because of the no-reverse policy) some people might not want to do business with you.

Re 1090 CP/M, does this mean you'll stop working on that, too? That'll be a pity. I had great plans for once you released the source...

• Like 1

Sounds like Radomski knows how to manipulate the system to stealth his bad behavior.  Like all the scumbags on Youtube that smear people right and left then go running to Youtube with bullying complaints if you reply in kind.

Posted (edited)

Okay,

Well this isn't a privacy issue...

People, do not ship to this known porch pirated address. It is documented that porch pirates have been able to steal items at this address.

1883 Wallace Ave
Bronx, NY  10462

and that is the end of that. don't ship to places that are known to have theft issues. there is no right to have items shipped to any address, p.o. box, or other location.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 6

https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/seller-protection?locale.x=en_US

have everything worked out that you can in this list and have it ready to go so you can respond in real time, and keep calling pay pal

cite seller protection until they give up, keep calling until they give in.

• Like 2

I have a thought.  Just throwing it out there;  And given the title of this thread, it seems like the spot for such a musing.

Imagine if we changed the laws regarding "Porch Pirates".  (Note:  I don't know what the laws are now, but...just imagine...)

Imagine if this was advertised and common knowledge.

Porch Piracy:

1st Offense:  Mandatory 10 days in Jail

2nd Offense: Mandatory 1 year in Prison

3rd Offense:  Death Penalty

This is only for people found guilty of course.  Also where applicable;  Porch pirates pay back their victims tenfold.

Wouldn't it be nice if in civilized society we could have nice things and those things could be delivered without fear? 

What do you think?   Should I be running for office or what?  :)

• Like 5

If sent via USPS it's already supposed to be a Federal Crime, but it might have some stipulation about it being in an approved USPS mail box etc. Of course it's up to the powers that be to actually enforce such laws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

What do you think?

image.thumb.png.265049ec9b8572d2f52335a8f7a8592d.png

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Should I be running for office or what?  :)

Your ideas intrigue me.  Do you perhaps have a newsletter or circular to which I could subscribe? :D

Oh, and any theft involving tools goes straight to offence #3 and gets the Long Drop.  Stealing tools is stealing someone's ability to make a living, ergo we can just dispense with the problem immediately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Oh, and any theft involving tools goes straight to offence #3 and gets the Long Drop.  Stealing tools is stealing someone's ability to make a living, ergo we can just dispense with the problem immediately.

Not that long ago, stealing a man's horse would get you killed.  We need to return to this mentality.  Rules and respect may come back into existence if so.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Geister said:

This is a sad announcement for the Atari community.  The 1090 was something that should have been released back in 1983 and might have kept Atari in the forefront of home computing, but Atari's retreat fed into the rumors of it's immanent demise and helped kill future sales, literally ceding the lead to Commodore.  If Atari had a single forward thinking corporate person with a backbone at the time things might have gone much differently.  Allowing Atari to fade away left it susceptible to Trameil buying it and  further set up the sale of Amiga to Commodore instead of Atari developing the computers they had initially funded.

Is it too late to pick up one of the CPM cards?

The working CP/M card has to have bodge wires ran.  I do have new CP/M cards but they are untested and the PLD's will need a slight program change. 

Are you in the US?  I could send you the prototype.

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/seller-protection?locale.x=en_US

have everything worked out that you can in this list and have it ready to go so you can respond in real time, and keep calling pay pal

cite seller protection until they give up, keep calling until they give in.

That's a huge list.  I'd suspect that it's designed so they don't have to pay.

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

The working CP/M card has to have bodge wires ran.  I do have new CP/M cards but they are untested and the PLD's will need a slight program change. 

Are you in the US?  I could send you the prototype.

Brian,  I'm in Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley.  I'm about 2.5 hours from you at the most.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Geister said:

Brian,  I'm in Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley.  I'm about 2.5 hours from you at the most.

That's right.  It's even on your profile on the left.  I think you've told me 3 times, too.  Sorry about that.  PM me your address.  If you want the card, I'll send it to you and get you the files.

Edit:  Never mind on your address.  I've got that too.  I guess sometimes I am not thinking about who lives where.  Let me know if you want the card and it's yours.

Edited by reifsnyderb

23 hours ago, ivop said:

Looks like that Radomski dude also got himself removed from the bad trader list, and a few days ago, this thread was the second google hit if you googled his name with "buyer", but now it's been removed due to privacy violation 😕 

People, like Radomski, are good at playing the system. 

23 hours ago, ivop said:

Re PayPal disputes, I always ask people to pay as "Friends & family". That way they can never revoke their payment. Downside is that they have to trust me on my word, and because scammers always ask for F&F (exactly because of the no-reverse policy) some people might not want to do business with you.

You can't do "Friends & Family" via a website.  That being said, the transaction between Radomski and I, was a direct transaction and no website was involved.  In retrospect, I shouldn't have dealt with him...but I had no way of knowing at the time.

23 hours ago, ivop said:

Re 1090 CP/M, does this mean you'll stop working on that, too? That'll be a pity. I had great plans for once you released the source...

Yeah, I am not going to work on the CP/M at this time.  I'll release the source code really soon.  The I/O and BIOS code doesn't have the interrupt system working yet.  But, I have proven it will call an interrupt.  I think it's some sort of timing issue.  The format command is done in what could probably be described as pseudo-code.  While format is in C, I haven't even tried to compile it yet.  It may work the first time, but experience tells me there are a few details to work out.  I was going to get it working last week, then this all happened.

Maybe I'll get back to things at some point in the future.  I don't know. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hi Brian,

I am sorry to hear that you will not be developing new items and it will be a major loss for the Atari community. I understand your position and wish you the best in your new creative endeavors!

I know you had a really bad experience but do not forget that you also had a lot of successful transactions.

I was regular customer who enjoyed the products you produced. They were two Atari XL 320K boards, the Atari 400 Svideo card, the Atari 400 1056K card and most

recently the advanced 800XL PCB remake. I am planning on getting a 1091XL expansion board and a couple of cards down the road. Will the 1091XL and cards still be available? Also, will you still sell your advanced 800XL PCB?

34 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Hi Brian,

I am sorry to hear that you will not be developing new items and it will be a major loss for the Atari community. I understand your position and wish you the best in your new creative endeavors!

I know you had a really bad experience but do not forget that you also had a lot of successful transactions.

I was regular customer who enjoyed the products you produced. They were two Atari XL 320K boards, the Atari 400 Svideo card, the Atari 400 1056K card and most

recently the advanced 800XL PCB remake. I am planning on getting a 1091XL expansion board and a couple of cards down the road. Will the 1091XL and cards still be available? Also, will you still sell your advanced 800XL PCB?

Thank you for your support.

As long as there is a market, I'll still keep making and selling what I've already developed.  The R&D is already done.  The 1091XL is completed and I should put those up for sale at some point.  The 1091XL cards are all of the 1090XL cards that are small.  They are 100% compatible.

I was planning on doing some tests and getting the next version of the 800XL remake PCB made.  I may do that soon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

As long as there is a market, I'll still keep making and selling what I've already developed.  The R&D is already done.  The 1091XL is completed and I should put those up for sale at some point.  The 1091XL cards are all of the 1090XL cards that are small.  They are 100% compatible.

I was planning on doing some tests and getting the next version of the 800XL remake PCB made.  I may do that soon.

Good to hear - I am just now trying to get a 1090 up and running and would love to have the CP/M card when finished.  For now, just focus on what you enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks for all you've done.  You've really created some neat devices, especially for the 800.  And the 1090 project is stellar!  I hope your burnout is temporary.

-Larry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Thanks for all you've done.  You've really created some neat devices, especially for the 800.  And the 1090 project is stellar!  I hope your burnout is temporary.

-Larry

It's not burnout.  It's more rage due to the newfound understanding that I am responsible for something that is completely out of my control no matter what evidence I have that I fulfilled my end of an agreement.  (I had so much evidence, in screenshots of FaceBook messages alone, that it took me two hours to compile and organize it all.)  This is coupled with another experience that is in no way related to anyone on this forum or even computer related in any way.

• Like 3