IGNORED

What'd you get fer Christmas?

Brad_from_the_80s

About a week before Christmas, just to see what they might have I was browsing Etsy for Atari 2600 stuff, and I seen custom-printed 2600 compatible game controllers. They appear to be classic NES type controllers, though work with the Atari 2600 (and 2600+) consoles.

The one that most grabbed my interest was one with a Pitfall artwork on it (front and back). It was also on for a decent discount at the time and so I decided to go ahead and order it as an extra Christmas gift for myself.

It arrived on the Friday just before the Christmas weekend (the Seller is in my country, and they sent it expedited mail, so it shipped quickly).

So, I had to give it a try on my 2600+ along with my Pitfall game. As far as I can tell, the only button that seems to function is the left fire-button, but that's fine for playing 2600 games. The cord is a bit short (I'm guess around 4ft long) so if using one expect to sit close to the console (which is what I do anyways for now) or to have an extension-cord for the controller (which I'm thinking to soon get some extension cables too).

Anyways, though the controller is a bit small for my big hands, overall it still feels to be a good and responsive d-pad style game controller.

Using it, I was able to finally complete a full game of Pitfall (without losing all my lives and so I could finally fully run out the count-down timer) and finished with a score just a little over 48,500 points.

Included are pics of the front and back of the controller (I grabbed these images from the seller's Etsy page for that controller).

Custom_Atari_2600_Pitfall_Controller_01a.thumb.jpg.d87b47d4c34fc59966a7f58ce9b33fb6.jpg

Custom_Atari_2600_Pitfall_Controller_02a.thumb.jpg.3b5f160fef63c163875eb3b8d1da8943.jpg

If anyone might be interested, the name of the Seller on Etsy is Gamie Gamers Customs:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GamieGamersCustoms

They have a few different artwork styles for the 2600 compatible controllers they offer, such as; Frogger, Frostbite, Keystone Kapers, River Raid and a couple more.

If wanting a NES styled d-pad game-controller you could use on your 2600 and/or 2600+, It could be something you put on your wish-list and wait for a discounted sale (like I was lucky to get).

Cheers!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, MysticSword said:

About a week before Christmas, just to see what they might have I was browsing Etsy for Atari 2600 stuff, and I seen custom-printed 2600 compatible game controllers. They appear to be classic NES type controllers, though work with the Atari 2600 (and 2600+) consoles.

The one that most grabbed my interest was one with a Pitfall artwork on it (front and back). It was also on for a decent discount at the time and so I decided to go ahead and order it as an extra Christmas gift for myself.

It arrived on the Friday just before the Christmas weekend (the Seller is in my country, and they sent it expedited mail, so it shipped quickly).

So, I had to give it a try on my 2600+ along with my Pitfall game. As far as I can tell, the only button that seems to function is the left fire-button, but that's fine for playing 2600 games. The cord is a bit short (I'm guess around 4ft long) so if using one expect to sit close to the console (which is what I do anyways for now) or to have an extension-cord for the controller (which I'm thinking to soon get some extension cables too).

Anyways, though the controller is a bit small for my big hands, overall it still feels to be a good and responsive d-pad style game controller.

Using it, I was able to finally complete a full game of Pitfall (without losing all my lives and so I could finally fully run out the count-down timer) and finished with a score just a little over 48,500 points.

Included are pics of the front and back of the controller (I grabbed these images from the seller's Etsy page for that controller).

Custom_Atari_2600_Pitfall_Controller_01a.thumb.jpg.d87b47d4c34fc59966a7f58ce9b33fb6.jpg

Custom_Atari_2600_Pitfall_Controller_02a.thumb.jpg.3b5f160fef63c163875eb3b8d1da8943.jpg

If anyone might be interested, the name of the Seller on Etsy is Gamie Gamers Customs:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GamieGamersCustoms

They have a few different artwork styles for the 2600 compatible controllers they offer, such as; Frogger, Frostbite, Keystone Kapers, River Raid and a couple more.

If wanting a NES styled d-pad game-controller you could use on your 2600 and/or 2600+, It could be something you put on your wish-list and wait for a discounted sale (like I was lucky to get).

Cheers!

That's pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Does it count if people bought you stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the 2600+ but you bought yourself a lot of stuff? 🤣

I got three Switch games, Super Mario RPG, Sonic Origins Plus and Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed Ecto Edition for the Switch, along with a Mandalorian T-Shirt from family members.

For myself, I got my 2600+, I've been buying games again, including some treats I have on the way from Ebay and Atari. My most recent pickup is a sweet controller similar to the one @MysticSword got, but without the cool artwork. Instead, mine has a real wood inlay and a longer cord. (though, I do own cord extensions) Most importantly, it allows me to play two button 7800 games like Asteroids and Pole Position II, both of which I own, on my 2600+. So, a decent chunk of may day will be spent playing some classic Atari games with an NES style controller. 😂

20231225_110048.jpg

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My wife got me the Atari 7800 this year. I got her a new laptop. I've never had a 7800 before but have been curious about them for decades, so this is a great Christmas gift! So far, I have Xevious, Ms Pacman, Dig Dug and Dark Caverns for it. A good start. It's been a great new way to destress after dealing with the company who have been coming over to my grandma's house every few days since Thanksgiving. Nice to see them again, but helping my 95-year-old grandma get ready for each set of visitors has been tough. I'd do anything for her though She's great! For one thing, she's the one who got me my Atari 2600 and a bunch of games for it back in 1980. I'd been playing the ones at my cousins' houses since 1977 when I'd visit them, so it was great to have my own.  

• Like 4