IGNORED

Replacement Atari Keyboard 24 pin Connector - Obsolescence Solution

Overange

I've found a simple solution for the obsolescence issue related to the 24-pin keyboard ribbon connectors ( 2.54mm ds1020-24st1d-1 ) on Atari XL and XE Systems.

This is going to be a great option for those wanting to build their own Motherboards.

As you can see in the images, it's a 26-pin variety. To make it compatible with the original 24-pin version, all it requires is the removal of the two end contacts for the 800XL, 65XE, and 130XE machines and for the 600XL you'll need to remove the opposite two contacts. Removing the unused contacts is a straightforward process, and I recommend doing this before soldering it to the main board.

image.thumb.png.dedcd63cad73d734588bcdf48c69d650.png

image.thumb.png.1cfc0b04cee9acfb8eb9cfad6bcdd4d6.png

image.thumb.png.538d475f8eb79155b24b041b004ca215.png

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these, feel free to let me know.
I'm open to offering deals for larger bundles as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My issue is the ribbon got mangled so I need to think of a way to replace either the original 800xl keyboard+ribbon or just the ribbon?  My connector looks fine.

Wondering if we might be able to think of a way to make a USB keyboard to 24 pin output ribbon adapter?

Edited by Ray Gillman
one more thought

11 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

My issue is the ribbon got mangled so I need to think of a way to replace either the original 800xl keyboard+ribbon or just the ribbon?  My connector looks fine.

Wondering if we might be able to think of a way to make a USB keyboard to 24 pin output ribbon adapter?

It requires a lots of electronics, interfacing and key mapping in between since apart from anything else the Atari keyboard is a different layout than a standard modern ????USB keyboard.

There is already the AKI usb adapter:

https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-upgrades/130-aki-usb-keyboard-interface.html

aki-usb-keyboard-interface.jpg

aki-usb-keyboard-interface.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

There should be a way to make a USB keyboard work with the 8-bit computers.  I did the opposite and made an 800XL keyboard work with a Windows 10 computer.  I put a mini-PC in the 800XL shell and found the instructions to make an adapter using an Arduino board.  Having this connector would have made things a lot easier.  DJ Sures did a video on the keyboard conversion and posted the Coding.  I tell people that I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag, but I can put something together if the instructions are good.

Edited by djglish
needed to add info

Now there's just one other little thing...  Does anyone know if there are PC keyboards with programmable keys that can be made to function more like our Atari keys?  I know that lots of people love using a PC keyboard with the Atari, but I'm not one of them.  Anyone have any experience with something similar?  And would such a keyboard work with the AKI adapter?

On 12/28/2023 at 9:01 AM, Overange said:

I've found a simple solution for the obsolescence issue related to the 24-pin keyboard ribbon connectors ( 2.54mm ds1020-24st1d-1 ) on Atari XL and XE Systems.

This is going to be a great option for those wanting to build their own Motherboards.

As you can see in the images, it's a 26-pin variety. To make it compatible with the original 24-pin version, all it requires is the removal of the two end contacts for the 800XL, 65XE, and 130XE machines and for the 600XL you'll need to remove the opposite two contacts. Removing the unused contacts is a straightforward process, and I recommend doing this before soldering it to the main board.

image.thumb.png.dedcd63cad73d734588bcdf48c69d650.png

image.thumb.png.1cfc0b04cee9acfb8eb9cfad6bcdd4d6.png

image.thumb.png.538d475f8eb79155b24b041b004ca215.png

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these, feel free to let me know.
I'm open to offering deals for larger bundles as well.

Do you have a source link for these?