IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

Asteroids Deluxe (Atari 7800 by Pac-Man-Plus) is working and looks/sounds amazing on HDMI, but I haven't been able to get the hidden game to load. Apologize, but how do I invoke the 7800 pause feature with the 2600+? 

3 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Asteroids Deluxe (Atari 7800 by Pac-Man-Plus) is working and looks/sounds amazing on HDMI, but I haven't been able to get the hidden game to load. Apologize, but how do I invoke the 7800 pause feature with the 2600+? 

Flip the Color / Black & White switch.

9 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Flip the Color / Black & White switch.

That's not working. On actual hardware, if you hold down the Pause button, while turning on the 7800, it will invoke the hidden game. Flipping the B/W switch on the 2600+ is not making any difference. Asteroids Deluxe starts up whether I have the switch flipped to Color or B&W. I'd love to be able to play both games on the 2600+.

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

That's not working. On actual hardware, if you hold down the Pause button, while turning on the 7800, it will invoke the hidden game. Flipping the B/W switch on the 2600+ is not making any difference. Asteroids Deluxe starts up whether I have the switch flipped to Color or B&W.

Sorry I confused your question.  It may not be possible on the 2600+ since the "pause" can't be held down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Sorry I confused your question.  It may not be possible on the 2600+ since the "pause" can't be held down.

I could have provided more clarity. It does seem like it's not possible to have the 2600+ recognize "Pause" during startup. I've tried to "time" the flipping of the switch (e.g., waiting for the Atari logo to display and then flip or flip just before it appears to dump the ROM) but that's not working. Just thought I'd ask. IIRC, there are a couple more homebrews that have hidden versions similar to this. -Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, sramirez2008 said:

I could have provided more clarity. It does seem like it's not possible to have the 2600+ recognize "Pause" during startup. I've tried to "time" the flipping of the switch (e.g., waiting for the Atari logo to display and then flip or flip just before it appears to dump the ROM) but that's not working. Just thought I'd ask. IIRC, there are a couple more homebrews that have hidden versions similar to this. -Thanks.

There's a UI issue... when the state of that switch changes, we need to generate a timed virtual pause-button press in software, or else pausing in some games doesn't work. e.g. try holding down the pause button in Galaga on a real 7800, to see what I mean.

We'll revisit it and see if there's anything we can kludge in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RevEng said:

There's a UI issue... when the state of that switch changes, we need to generate a timed virtual pause-button press in software, or else pausing in some games doesn't work. e.g. try holding down the pause button in Galaga on a real 7800, to see what I mean.

We'll revisit it and see if there's anything we can kludge in.

Appreciate anything you can do with respect to generating a virtual pause-button press. In addition, let me take this time to personally thank everyone that's been working behind the scenes to improve this product. This first beta has already made quite a difference and I look forward to the next and/or 1st patch. Thank you all. 

Edited by sramirez2008
typo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

That's not working. On actual hardware, if you hold down the Pause button, while turning on the 7800, it will invoke the hidden game. Flipping the B/W switch on the 2600+ is not making any difference. Asteroids Deluxe starts up whether I have the switch flipped to Color or B&W. I'd love to be able to play both games on the 2600+.

That’s only on PAL consoles. The NTSC 7800 didn’t have a hidden game.

52 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That’s only on PAL consoles. The NTSC 7800 didn’t have a hidden game.

Not the console itself (e.g., Asteroids BIOS) but the Asteroids Deluxe homebrew cart. The cart has two games.😉

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 4:08 PM, raz0red said:

That sounds like they may be running as NTSC, but are PAL carts.

There is a pretty cumbersome escape sequence you can use to confirm if that is the case. Immediately after the game loads and the screen displays (it is only applicable in the first couple seconds), hold both buttons down and pull down on the joystick simultaneously. If you hold these (buttons + joystick down) for 5 seconds, you should see the game reset into PAL mode. It may take a couple of tries to get it to work.

If that is the case, message me and we can add them as PAL in the next update.

Thanks,

Chris.

This escape sequence works great for PAL 7800 games.

Found Space Duell and Asteroids Deluxe.

They give me black screen on V1.1, so I tried the escape sequence and they work🤗

I can't be sure if Space Duell is PAL as it is not in my order history.

The other 5 games work with down shifted screen and/or flicker if you don't use the escape sequence.

20240103_204842.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cyberfreak0312 said:

So why is the update unavailable? Wanted to install it and it says "unavailable". 

I just tried downloading and the files are fine. 

I note that you are a new member, and this is your first post. 

I would imagine that you need to be a member for some time before downloading privileges are granted to you.

• Like 1

@Ben from PlaionI wanted to try to better understand how the 2600+ dumps the cart to the memory, considering how most flash carts work that unless you are selecting one rom at a time to load, it wont allow dumping, so almost need to make a special rom file that asks for a file to be loaded off the cart, when selected.  Seems theoretically possible, but probably not quite that easy.  Or is this maybe a version 2.0 ask? lol.

2 hours ago, brendonla said:

Just did the update without a hitch. Thanks Ben and those at Plaion that worked on providing this update. Look forward to future updates so 2600 homebrews and the video pad controller work on the 2600+ 🙌 🙏

You just reminded me, I need to see if the driving controller works now.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, GabeShack said:

@Ben from PlaionI wanted to try to better understand how the 2600+ dumps the cart to the memory, considering how most flash carts work that unless you are selecting one rom at a time to load, it wont allow dumping, so almost need to make a special rom file that asks for a file to be loaded off the cart, when selected.  Seems theoretically possible, but probably not quite that easy.  Or is this maybe a version 2.0 ask? lol.

Dude, I'm just the PM on the 2600+, my main focus was always to get as many original carts working as possible. I'm nowhere near the level of understading of that of my peers here on AA for incricate 2600 matters, thats why I am here to be a conduit of information gathered from AA with a view of improving the 2600+. 

I get all the primary information posted here from people that contribute and filter it to actionable outcomes.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Alright so maybe I made a mistake while installing the update but after playing some of my atari 2600 pal game I noticed some emulation error appearing that weren't there before I installed the update like for example in space invaders the beams of the aliens doesn't show up anymore so I just get killed by them without seeing them, in 2600 frogger the flickering is even more frequent than before and 80% of the time the frog just disappear and I just have to guess where it is so  I hope this will get fixed in a next update because that make some of my game just unplayable...

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Senoraf said:

Alright so maybe I made a mistake while installing the update but after playing some of my atari 2600 pal game I noticed some emulation error appearing that weren't there before I installed the update like for example in space invaders the beams of the aliens doesn't show up anymore so I just get killed by them without seeing them, in 2600 frogger the flickering is even more frequent than before and 80% of the time the frog just disappear and I just have to guess where it is so  I hope this will get fixed in a next update because that make some of my game just unplayable...

Pal 2600 50hz games have an issue with flickering display output, we are looking at this and will report back.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 2