IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

On 1/1/2024 at 4:52 AM, JetmanUK said:

Having to shoot robots twice occasionally is not a bug. It is mentioned in the original manual that you may encounter a stronger robot that requires two shots to destroy. No doubt it was a bug and they wrote some lore around it to explain it, but the game is working as stated back in the day. 

Cool thanks for letting me know. I had just not really run into it before on the original berserk or at least I didn't think that I had, but if it's like that on the original game then glad to hear about it. it's actually kind of cool

11 minutes ago, B.T. said:

I can no longer get Tower Toppler on 7800 to work on ver. 1.1.  It was working on 1.0.  When you start the game the first stage shows up and then restarts in an endless loop. Anyone else own this game and have the same problem on the new firmware?

Check your difficulty switches.

Mitch

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Check your difficulty switches.

Mitch

If difficulty is on A then 7800 Tower Toppler constantly resets.  If it's on B it plays.  Why is that?

Also, Tower Toppler looks really BAD on the 2600+... like, not at all what I am seeing in YouTube videos.  Does this game use the old color artifacting trick from CRT monitors?  If so, then we really need color artifacting emulation turned ON for this game!  Is that possible?

Just now, chad5200 said:

If difficulty is on A then 7800 Tower Toppler constantly resets.  If it's on B it plays.  Why is that?

Also, Tower Toppler looks really BAD on the 2600+... like, not at all what I am seeing in YouTube videos.  Does this game use the old color artifacting trick from CRT monitors?  If so, then we really need color artifacting emulation turned ON for this game!  Is that possible?

It was a way to select the level you wanted for practicing. Basically leave the switch on until it loads the level you want and then flip it back to play.

And yes...the game relies on NTSC artifacting so with this high signal quality, it will look like a striped mess that makes it look like it is missing graphics. Same thing happens on 7800s with s-video output added to them on this game. So it can really only be played where it looks good through RF or composite.

1 minute ago, chad5200 said:

Or if the 2600+ 7800 emulator can emulate color artifacting.  Can it?

I've not see any other emulators able to do that? The 7800GD has a blending mode for it that can emulate it but I don't think any of the emulators can? Well maybe A7800 has a mode that can do it. 

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've not see any other emulators able to do that? The 7800GD has a blending mode for it that can emulate it but I don't think any of the emulators can? Well maybe A7800 has a mode that can do it. 

A7800 emulator has color artifacting emulation so looks like it is definitely possible in emulation.  Is that the emulator that the 2600+ is using?  They talk about it here and it looks great:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It was a way to select the level you wanted for practicing. Basically leave the switch on until it loads the level you want and then flip it back to play.

And yes...the game relies on NTSC artifacting so with this high signal quality, it will look like a striped mess that makes it look like it is missing graphics. Same thing happens on 7800s with s-video output added to them on this game. So it can really only be played where it looks good through RF or composite.

I mean you can play it fine you just need to get used to the graphics being all kinds of wrong

7 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

A7800 emulator has color artifacting emulation so looks like it is definitely possible in emulation.  Is that the emulator that the 2600+ is using?  They talk about it here and it looks great:

No..the 2600+ is using a modified version of the older Pro System emulator.

6 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I mean you can play it fine you just need to get used to the graphics being all kinds of wrong

Never said it was unplayable. I was quite used to how it looked on s-video for quite some time, but then found myself swapping in my composite cable eventually when playing this game, and now I can't really play it without that artifacting since without, there is so much detail lost.

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Never said it was unplayable. I was quite used to how it looked on s-video for quite some time, but then found myself swapping in my composite cable eventually when playing this game, and now I can't really play it without that artifacting since without, there is so much detail lost.

"So it can really only be played where it looks good through RF or composite. "

So you're saying it's unplayable on the 2600 Plus. Which is what we're talking about

2 hours ago, B.T. said:

Astroblast would not work with joystick, only paddles as a couple of people have already stated on ver 1.0 and 1.1.  Also game seems to be on autofire when you play with paddles now as well(like the fire button is being pressed but it's not).  This was not the case on ver 1.0.

The Left difficulty switch turns autofire on and off in Astroblast.

46 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

"So it can really only be played where it looks good through RF or composite. "

So you're saying it's unplayable on the 2600 Plus. Which is what we're talking about

But I didn't say it was unplayable. You are interpreting that for some reason. I only stated it could only be played where it looks good through RF or composite. That doesn't mean it is unplayable. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Now I am completely computer inept as far as firmware, downloadware, underwear, and all that other stuff

LOL

If I were to buy an Atari 2600+ can I ship it to somebody on this forum, that would do all that stuff update that console with this software, and then ship it to me here in Pittsburgh?

If interested in helping me out you can shoot me a DM. I'm not going to buy it tomorrow but I would buy it soon.

Thanks........

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

PAL 50hz flicker and Realsports NTSC fix I've asked to be looked at. Await the files back to test.

Just to let you know there is some 50Hz PAL flicker in some 7800 games too.

It happens at certain positions in games like Midnight Mutants and Commando (e g. in secret rooms). For Midnight Mutants it was the same on V1.00 so nothing got introduced by V1.1.

Xevious PAL on the other hand flickers terrible on real 7800 HW esp. with RF but looks good on the 2600+, only the desert style color palette should be adjusted.

Some PAL 7800 start as NTSC but can be corrected by the escape sequence, even the TV than still runs on 60Hz🤔

I am in contact with raz0red about this👍

When I read all that stuff about Tower Toppler,  I should really test my PAL cart next. This difficulty switch nonsens is well known but I got trapped when I got my cart 15 years ago too. I will see how it looks like without FBAS mod and Retrotink5x emulating Trinitron CRT🤔

My simple scan line generator I used on V1.0 does not like the 50Hz signal at all, so I removed it but that should be related rather to the generator and not the 2600+.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

46 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Now I am completely computer inept as far as firmware, downloadware, underwear, and all that other stuff

LOL

If I were to buy an Atari 2600+ can I ship it to somebody on this forum, that would do all that stuff update that console with this software, and then ship it to me here in Pittsburgh?

If interested in helping me out you can shoot me a DM. I'm not going to buy it tomorrow but I would buy it soon.

Thanks........

I'd wait for a full update. You may be able to buy it directly with the updated software and avoid the cost and headache. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

I'd wait for a full update. You may be able to buy it directly with the updated software and avoid the cost and headache. 

Well, after the update is before the update...

Even V1.1 is a huge step, I expect some smaller to follow like TB support.

But I also expect the non Beta updates will be more streamlined to install, so maybe wait for this.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:47 PM, THX-1138 said:

I'm wondering if the update image would just work with the Rockchip tools that are already available for Linux.

I've used the tool from https://github.com/vicharak-in/Linux_Upgrade_Tool.git to upgrade the firmware:

# ./upgrade_tool UF ./update-1225.img
Loading firmware...
Support Type:312A	FW Ver:8.1.00	FW Time:2023-12-25 10:26:27
Loader ver:2.56	Loader Time:2023-12-25 10:24:41
Start to upgrade firmware...
Download Boot Start
Download Boot Success
Wait For Maskrom Start
Wait For Maskrom Success
Test Device Start
Test Device Success
Check Chip Start
Check Chip Success
Get FlashInfo Start
Get FlashInfo Success
Prepare IDB Start
Prepare IDB Success
Download IDB Start
Download IDB Success
Download Firmware Start
Download Image... (100%)
Download Firmware Success
Upgrade firmware ok.

This worked fine.

Upgrading the Dumper firmware I'll have to do via Windows...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3