IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

Consider the next two statements:

1.  Everybody has a Mac or PC

2.  Everybody has a smartphone.

Which is closer to true?

My strong opinion is #2.  Can I PROVE it?  No.  For those that believe #1; you can't prove that.

If you want to believe #1, great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

Which is closer to true?

My strong opinion is #2.  Can I PROVE it?  No.  For those that believe #1; you can't prove that.

Consider the next statement:

Everybody who is even remotely interested in the 2600+ HAS A Mac or PC COMPUTER. (except one guy on this forum who wants everyone to believe his opinion is better)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I'm waiting for someone to ask when Atari is going to add 2600+ firmware update methods from Samsung Wifi connected Washing Machines, Dryers and Refrigerators.

This whole argument reminds me of this bit from the Nicholas Cage movie "National Treasure":

Is "Updating the 2600+ firmware with the most differently intended computer" going to be the new "running Doom with the most differently intended computer"?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

Which is closer to true?

Well, here you go again with the dance. Here is your original statement:

The assumption that most people have easy access to a windows PC or Mac is false.

The assumption that most people have easy access to an Android or iPhone is true.

Times have changed.

I don't believe most people object to your original second statement that most people have easy access to Android or iPhone. That would be true particularly with Android. In fact, I specifically indicated that I agreed with that assessment. What I addressed (with data) was your false assumption that most people don't have easy access to a Windows PC. You also completely ignored the fact that an Android Device is not currently the best instrument for performing firmware updates. Smartphones while they can be used for productivity are primarily used by the majority as consumption devices. Nor is the Android OS uniform across vendors. You also continue to ignore all the reasonable statements and queries provided by others.

Finally your last argument is fallacious because you are trying to change your original position from "most people" to "Everybody has". If the assumption was originally that everybody has a MAC or PC, of course that would be false, but that was not your original position. That's not where you started, but I get it. Position shifting is normal among those only wanting to win an argument. Agreeing that most people have smartphones (including those even in impoverished countries who frankly are more concerned about food and clothing than gaming consoles) does not change the data that Windows as a computing OS is the dominant computing system among businesses and consumers and why Atari was correct to start here for firmware updates. The fact that more people have smartphones than PCs, MACs or even televisions proves nothing. The device that's best suited for the job and for which the majority of people have access is the criteria for which Atari has based their decision. Perhaps they will offer other methods later.

Trust me, I would not have responded again, but for your deception in trying to lay out a false choice that was not part of your original argument. I for one am returning back to the original purpose for this thread: Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1. Best wishes and happy gaming. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwayne32 said:

I am interested in updating my firmware on my Atari 2600+.  I was just wondering if it would better to wait for the stable release or go ahead with the beta?

This beta build has some problems with PAL games, but from I read here, the 7800 homebrew compatibility and emulation was really improved, is up to you if you want to update It now or later.

I honestly don't recommend this beta version if your collection is mostly PAL, problems with refresh rate cause disappearing sprites in so many of the games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwayne32 said:

I am interested in updating my firmware on my Atari 2600+.  I was just wondering if it would better to wait for the stable release or go ahead with the beta?

I guess it depends on what your potential benefit to risk tolerance is. Do you have a bunch of games you can't play now or can you wait a short while? Having read through much of this thread many are happy with the update, but some have a few disappointments. I suggest reading through the thread and deciding after you've evaluated the collective experience of the members. Only you know what's ultimately best for you. That's probably not the answer you were hoping for, but it's the best one I can offer.

• Like 1

Okay, Round 2 for 7800 homebrew testing on the new firmware, these titles worked well for me: Dungeon Stalker, Scramble, Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniv Edition, Dragons Havoc, UniWars, Moon Cresta, Knight Guy in Castle Days. Games that did not work: Attack of the Petscii Robots, Popeye (7800 Homebrew). As far as Popeye it went through the Demo mode well but as soon as you start the game it would hang, Petscii Robots fails to load. That's it for now, more tomorrow I think.

• Like 2

Just now, ChrisKewl said:

Did you do all 3 steps? There is a great video showing these steps.

Yes, I followed the video. I had no problems with this. I only have a problem after I turned it on after the update. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Dark Descent said:

Yes, I followed the video. I had no problems with this. I only have a problem after I turned it on after the update. 

Have you tried redownloading and reinstalling the 1.1 image?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dark Descent said:

I didn't update my machine until right after your trouble. I followed the steps to-the-letter of the video and I got that Android firmware for a second then it rebooted back fine to Version 1.1 Stella 6.7. Sounds like the firmware didn't flash correctly.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dark Descent said:

Went to power on and all I get is this. Over and over. 

I had this issue too when my Atari 2600+ was connected to my laptops USB port. Updating went fine but the Atari2600+ seemed to be in a boot loop. It was actually caused by the laptops USB port. If you connect the Atari 2600+ to your regular power method it will boot normally.

Edited by Blinky
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Blinky said:

I had this issue too when my Atari 2600+ was connected to my laptops USB port. Updating went fine but the Atari2600+ seemed to be in a boot loop but it was actually caused by the laptops USB port. If you connect the Atari 2600+ to your regular power method it will boot normally.

Good call. Yes I had it hooked up to the port. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Blinky said:

I had this issue too when my Atari 2600+ was connected to my laptops USB port. Updating went fine but the Atari2600+ seemed to be in a boot loop. It was actually caused by the laptops USB port. If you connect the Atari 2600+ to your regular power method it will boot normally.

Thank you. That was this issue. I'm less than smart. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

Well, here you go again with the dance. Here is your original statement:

The assumption that most people have easy access to a windows PC or Mac is false.

The assumption that most people have easy access to an Android or iPhone is true.

Times have changed.

I don't believe most people object to your original second statement that most people have easy access to Android or iPhone. That would be true particularly with Android. In fact, I specifically indicated that I agreed with that assessment. What I addressed (with data) was your false assumption that most people don't have easy access to a Windows PC. You also completely ignored the fact that an Android Device is not currently the best instrument for performing firmware updates. Smartphones while they can be used for productivity are primarily used by the majority as consumption devices. Nor is the Android OS uniform across vendors. You also continue to ignore all the reasonable statements and queries provided by others.

Finally your last argument is fallacious because you are trying to change your original position from "most people" to "Everybody has". If the assumption was originally that everybody has a MAC or PC, of course that would be false, but that was not your original position. That's not where you started, but I get it. Position shifting is normal among those only wanting to win an argument. Agreeing that most people have smartphones (including those even in impoverished countries who frankly are more concerned about food and clothing than gaming consoles) does not change the data that Windows as a computing OS is the dominant computing system among businesses and consumers and why Atari was correct to start here for firmware updates. The fact that more people have smartphones than PCs, MACs or even televisions proves nothing. The device that's best suited for the job and for which the majority of people have access is the criteria for which Atari has based their decision. Perhaps they will offer other methods later.

Trust me, I would not have responded again, but for your deception in trying to lay out a false choice that was not part of your original argument. I for one am returning back to the original purpose for this thread: Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1. Best wishes and happy gaming. 😉

BTW: How many Smartphones can power the 2600+ via USB? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Dark Descent said:

Thank you. That was this issue. I'm less than smart. 😂

I might have had this the very first time too🤔

Also, I found that my device is not detected by Windows (no bing) if I do not pull the hdmi cable!

With no power connected, the Atari logo gets some light, once the connected TV is powered on🙄

I flashed many times, swapping debug loads and V1.1. It works fine if I follow my rules:

Remove hdmi cable from 2600+

Remove usb cable from power brick.

Connect usb cable to laptop

Start the devkit

Hold Reset and power on the 2600+ (color mode)

Wait for the bing and flash it

Switch off 2600+

Connect usb cable to power brick (not laptop)

Connect hdmi cable

Power on 2600+ 

The pdf (please keep this format) should reflect the potential removal of the hdmi cable and to not keep it connected to your PC after flashing. Instead it says "all you have to do now is to insert a cart" or something like that, which could be missleading.

After I was close to an heart attack on my first try, I became Grandmaster Flash 😊

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: How many Smartphones can power the 2600+ via USB? 

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! Thomas Jentzsch, you've done it again. I'm embarrassed that this notion didn't occur to me right up front. 😕

Now for fun to actually answer the question: At least two. The 2600+ only requires 1 amp at 5 volts. I think that any smartphone with an OTG cable can provide some charge, but most older smartphones won't exceed .5 amps output. On the other hand any Samsung Series S phone can supply at least 15 watts; so it could theoretically power "three" Atari 2600+ consoles. 

Bottom line: It doesn't matter how many Androids are in the global market. The vast majority can't power the 2600+. Now if only you could have made this observation sooner, you could have saved me and others from a whole lot of bloviating--especially me. 😆

• Like 2