IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

I'm really hoping for kid controller / keyboard support in the near future. I have a stack of Sesame Street games and two little beta testers who really want to play these games! Right now they just turn the games on and listen to the music. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skorphy said:

I'm really hoping for kid controller / keyboard support in the near future. I have a stack of Sesame Street games and two little beta testers who really want to play these games! Right now they just turn the games on and listen to the music. 😂

We have a Stella issue for Libretro keyboard support for quite a while. But would we need more support from the Libretro developers to get it done.

Thanks again for the update - I applied them yesterday! One thing I still see is that my favorite game, Robot Tank, is still non-functional. I hope that in a future update you'll take care of what appear to be many later, larger carts that aren't dumping correctly.

Although Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest works, it does not seem to map buttons from a 2600 controller the same way that the 7800 does. On the 7800 (with a 2600 controller plugged into the 7800 in the lefthand port) the controller button lets you Jump. This does not seem to work on the 2600+. 

I prefer to play the game with a 2600 controller, which when the difficulty switches are set correctly, allows me to Jump by pressing Up and Shoot/Run with the 2600 controller button. 

it's off since Xevious works with a 2600 controller on the 2600+ 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Happytoe said:

Although Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest works, it does not seem to map buttons from a 2600 controller the same way that the 7800 does. On the 7800 (with a 2600 controller plugged into the 7800 in the lefthand port) the controller button lets you Jump. This does not seem to work on the 2600+. 

Did you set the difficulty switches correctly?

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 2

I plugged the cable into one of the ports in the back of my PC and now the dumper app is not detecting it, my USB Ports are 2.0 so maybe its having a problem with it, does it only support USB 3.0, maybe my Winstars SATA Hard Drive Docking Station has USB 3.0, it only see it when I plug the cable into it but its plugged into a USB 2.0 and making the Dumper Update App freeze so Not Responding ...?.

Yes Winstars SATA Hard Drive Docking Station has 2 USB 3.0 ports... http://www.win-star.com/en_us/product/WS_ST331A
Now I know why its not working, it does not support USB 2.0 so its clashing.

33 minutes ago, Spanner said:

I plugged the cable into one of the ports in the back of my PC and now the dumper app is not detecting it, my USB Ports are 2.0 so maybe its having a problem with it, does it only support USB 3.0, maybe my Winstars SATA Hard Drive Docking Station has USB 3.0, it only see it when I plug the cable into it but its plugged into a USB 2.0 and making the Dumper Update App freeze so Not Responding ...?.

Yes Winstars SATA Hard Drive Docking Station has 2 USB 3.0 ports... http://www.win-star.com/en_us/product/WS_ST331A
Now I know why its not working, it does not support USB 2.0 so its clashing.

Actually, I had the reverse problem that you have.  The dumper app would only recognize my 2600+ when plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my Windows 10 laptop, and would not recognize it on the USB 3.0 ports (it would install a USB Controller driver instead of the Atari Dumper driver).  So, in my case, the dumper app only worked properly with USB 2.0.

Atari Dumper driver, maybe its that, I noticed its see it as a Joystick, is that normal, you know what's the dumper device name is because all I see is a joystick controller added in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices - HID compliant game controller - VID 1C59 - PID 0026 and under USB Controllers/Generic USB Hub a USB Composite Device with the same - VID 1C59 - PID 0026, is that it...?

Its using 300mA not 500mA like my PS5 controller is.

Edited by Spanner

On 1/5/2024 at 3:02 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record. But I have Robot Tank going to the developer to fix the dumping issue here.

Might be worth adding “known issues” To the first post in this thread that has the firmware update info.

• Like 1

I've been scanning the thread to see if anyone else is having this issue but I don't see it yet....

On mine after the firmware update, the system appears to always be in the ON state.  Even if I switch it off on the left side... the device is always just on.  Only way to turn it off is to unplug the USB-C cable from power.  I don't mind doing this but it seems like it shouldn't be doing that.

Should I just attempt to reflash it?  I'm more concerned that I broke something while doing the flash but am hoping it's not broken and maybe getting a future firmware update will cause that to fix itself out.  Cartridges appear to work just fine though still... everything seems OK otherwise.

Edited by alissa914

6 minutes ago, alissa914 said:

I've been scanning the thread to see if anyone else is having this issue but I don't see it yet....

On mine after the firmware update, the system appears to always be in the ON state.  Even if I switch it off on the left side... the device is always just on.  Only way to turn it off is to unplug the USB-C cable from power.  I don't mind doing this but it seems like it shouldn't be doing that.

Should I just attempt to reflash it?  I'm more concerned that I broke something while doing the flash but am hoping it's not broken and maybe getting a future firmware update will cause that to fix itself out.  Cartridges appear to work just fine though still... everything seems OK otherwise.

Weird. Someone did say that the HDMI being connected was keeping his Atari LED on. So what happens when you pull the HDMI cable out, whilst the power lead is in but Power lever turned to off?

Anyway, yes, reflash it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Weird. Someone did say that the HDMI being connected was keeping his Atari LED on. So what happens when you pull the HDMI cable out, whilst the power lead is in but Power lever turned to off?

Anyway, yes, reflash it.

Thanks for the response.  Appreciate it. :) I'll give it a go later tonight.

I had it hooked into the USB on the TV like I did before I flashed.  HDMI in or out, it always stays on.  But as long as I didn't break it, I'm relieved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alissa914 said:

Thanks for the response.  Appreciate it. :) I'll give it a go later tonight.

I had it hooked into the USB on the TV like I did before I flashed.  HDMI in or out, it always stays on.  But as long as I didn't break it, I'm relieved.

Is it really switched on or just the logo is lit?

My Logo is lit all the time I guess, need to check it again tonight.

If I unplug USB power it is still lit until I remove the HDMI cable and only then I can get it into the mode to flash it.

I will also check if the Mega7800 with an external powered 8bitdo Genesis receiver has got an influence there...

How ever, the console can be switched off, it is just the logo which keeps lit.

Will have a closer look on it. Currently I flash quite often between debug loads and V1.1 but can´t remember any difference.

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

Just a few notes - 

RS Boxing Red Label now works.
Circus Convoy loads fine - slow, but fine.

Slight oddity that I haven’t seen here, game specific:

Tried journey escape for the first time since the update and the audio is fine on the splash screen, but once I start the game, the audio is slower and slightly distorted. Didn’t notice it prior to the update, so either I’m just inattentive and blinded by my love for all things Journey or there is an actual audio issue that occurred after the update. If someone else could try a copy and let me know, that’d be great. LOL 

Every other game I tested worked fine, but I’m since they’ve all been already reported as fine, I won’t post all the titles. 

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Is it really switched on or just the logo is lit?

My Logo is lit all the time I guess, need to check it again tonight.

If I unplug USB power it is still lit until I remove the HDMI cable and only then I can get it into the mode to flash it.

I will also check if the Mega7800 with an external powered 8bitdo Genesis receiver has got an influence there...

How ever, the console can be switched off, it is just the logo which keeps lit.

Will have a closer look on it. Currently I flash quite often between debug loads and V1.1 but can´t remember any difference.

The logo is lit but I just tested it and with it plugged in (to the TV directly or to an external powered hub), the unit is on.  You see the Atari logo, the "Load Failed" if there's no cartridge.  If there's a cartridge, then the game starts.

If I left it plugged in, it would just be "Load Game Failed" in red and just sit there since hotswapping games seems to be easily done.  I'll just get some external toggle switch from Amazon and just disconnect it that way.

It's not a huge power drain to where I'm that worried about it especially if it can still play games.

Good news is that it's not broken and unusable, so that's what's important. :)

Edited by alissa914
  • Like 1