IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes. 

BTW: I found that when using Stella on my PC with the OpenGL renderer, the monitor refresh rate gets not adapted for a PAL 50 game. It always is at 60Hz. Even though the "adapt refresh rate" setting is enabled. However with Direct3D it works.

So, maybe the 2600+ uses other render and putting direct3D is the solution to the 50hz implementation.

28 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Anyone own an mclassic and tried it on the 2600+? I think the atari 2600+ outputs 720p so the mclassic upscales and enhances it . Looks good 👍

If all goes well we will get 1080p in a future update, it was being tested. 🤞🏻

What does the mclassic upscale the 2600 Plus to? 1080p or higher? 

• Like 1

Anyone else discover that if you use a keyboard via an OTG cable on the 2600+ and type "F1" you can enter the Stella save state menu? However, It seems that because Stella only recognizes the cart dumper as a single game (regardless of title), all games will share the same save state slots. The upside; there are 1,000 save slots, so you can still save each game to a different slot (you would have to keep track of them on paper). My recommendation would be to skip every 10 slots so you have multiple slots for each title, that would still leave you with enough slots for 100 unique games. Also, "P" key pauses any game, arrow keys & "A" & "Z" are the FIRE buttons (for 2600). All seems pretty standard. I still have yet to try, but the OTG cable might also allow for using USB game controllers as well (most likely D-input devices). FYI - Hyperkin sells the "Trooper 2" Atari style USB joystick with added buttons. 

20240113_211233.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Anyone else discover that if you use a keyboard via an OTG cable on the 2600+ and type "F1" you can enter the Stella save state menu? However, It seems that because Stella only recognizes the cart dumper as a single game (regardless of title), all games will share the same save state slots. The upside; there are 1,000 save slots, so you can still save each game to a different slot (you would have to keep track of them on paper). My recommendation would be to skip every 10 slots so you have multiple slots for each title, that would still leave you with enough slots for 100 unique games. Also, "P" key pauses any game, arrow keys & "A" & "Z" are the FIRE buttons (for 2600). All seems pretty standard. I still have yet to try, but the OTG cable might also allow for using USB game controllers as well (most likely D-input devices). FYI - Hyperkin sells the "Trooper 2" Atari style USB joystick with added buttons. 

20240113_211233.jpg

What OTG cable are you using?! Amazon link us. This has been something we haven't been able to test yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisKewl said:

What OTG cable are you using?! Amazon link us. This has been something we haven't been able to test yet.

I can't send a link because It's something I've had laying around for about ten years or so. In fact, it was a micro USB OTG, & I had to use an adapter to USB-C, lol. Any OTG cable should work. It should have one male & one female USB-C connector, & one female USB-A connector. For those not familiar, it basically adds a USB-A socket in-line with the USB-C power cable.

Anyone tested Plutos? (Klax eorked right?)

Anyone tested how the update works with a Dragonfly and Trebors pack or similar, changing the ROM to run into the dumper?

Anyone tested Hack-ROMs from Dragonfly or similar, or from free standing carts?

Motor Psycho? Does it run now?

Whatabout newer homebrews? Popeye? 1942?

(independent of how likely/unlikely it is that such titles makes a big difference to whether people get a 2600+ or not, it can be worth testing everything just to get as far as possible with this update.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Anyone else discover that if you use a keyboard via an OTG cable on the 2600+ and type "F1" you can enter the Stella save state menu?

That's the Retroarch menu system (RGUI) without a skin : )

• Like 2

I just tried my "Hyperkin Trooper 2" joystick with the 2600+ via OTG cable & it works as P1 just fine, the only caveat being although the left fire button is mapped to P1, the right is mapped as P2 fire button. The "start", "select", LB & RB buttons had no function for 2600 or 7800 games. The controller (at least this one) had no "B" button functionality for 7800 games. I tested using Choplifter.

Edited by BitMerge6502
grammar / clarity
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

That's the Retroarch menu system (RGUI) without a skin : )

Hey, you're right, I didn't notice at first. Also MAME & a few other older DOS emulators used same GUI styling. I don't think 2600+ is using retroarch though.

4 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

I can't send a link because It's something I've had laying around for about ten years or so. In fact, it was a micro USB OTG, & I had to use an adapter to USB-C, lol. Any OTG cable should work. It should have one male & one female USB-C connector, & one female USB-A connector. For those not familiar, it basically adds a USB-A socket in-line with the USB-C power cable.

I bought an OTG-cable with USB-C which does not work. It doesn't even power the 2600+ via USB-C, only USB-A (and adapter). So I would be careful with these cables. I guess they are using a different, unknown to the 2600+ protocol for power supply.

Fortunately I have my old micro USB OTG cable for Retron 77 which is known to work. So I ordered an adapter for it.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:18 PM, mastic_man said:

While still waiting for Champ Games Gorf Arcade & Scramble to arrive from the last chance sale i decided to do some tinkering.

I have burned the test rom of Gorf arcade on to an epprom and put it on home brew test board so the dumper will recognise as a standard cart. 
With the 2600+ being an emulator it ran the rom straight away without any issues. 

I have also since tested 
Mappy demo - works
Scramble demo - works
Super cobra demo - works
Gorf arcade full rom - works

Working with controller issues. 
Zoo keeper and Qyx full rom load but controllers won’t work on either.
Wizard of Wor demo loads but again controller doesn’t work.

I have been in contact with John and he says the controller issues may be down do the quadtari code which could be altered to support the 2600+
He is sending some more games over to test so will update this post when I have tried the rest of them. 

So now we know Champ games can be made to work on the 2600+ 

One can achieve the same by putting the ROMs as single loads onto a Harmony cart using e.g. F4 bankswitching for 32K games (I think when Circus Convoy is supported, even 128K games should work using SB bankswitching). 

But overall that's even more fake than using the dumper only. IMHO.

I bought an OTG-cable with USB-C which does not work. It doesn't even power the 2600+ via USB-C, only USB-A (and adapter). So I would be careful with these cables. I guess they are using a different, unknown to the 2600+ protocol for power supply.

Fortunately I have my old micro USB OTG cable for Retron 77 which is known to work. So I ordered an adapter for it.

I had the same experience: I bought an OTG Y-cable with USB-C/USB-A, which wouldn't power the 2600+. I wasn't aware of the USB-C Power Delivery profiles back then, but it seems the 2600+ requires profile 1 (5V, 2A) which is the most basic profile.

Like to hear if using your old USB OTG Y cable with an adapter works for you.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I had the same experience: I bought an OTG Y-cable with USB-C/USB-A, which wouldn't power the 2600+. I wasn't aware of the USB-C Power Delivery profiles back then, but it seems the 2600+ requires profile 1 (5V, 2A) which is the most basic profile.

Makes sense. But then, aren't the profiles backward compatible? Why does a "better" cable not work here?

39 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Like to hear if using your old USB OTG Y cable with an adapter works for you.

Should arrive end of next week. Stay tuned. :) (it worked for @BitMerge6502)

BTW: With a different splitter cable, a keyboard works (but not a gamepad). Via F1 (see above) you get access to the RetroArch menu where you can not only save states but also change e.g. TV mode to PAL60, enable phosphor or enable TV effects.

And it also shows that my 2600+ is running using Stella 7.0pre.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

If all goes well we will get 1080p in a future update, it was being tested. 🤞🏻

What does the mclassic upscale the 2600 Plus to? 1080p or higher? 

Depends on your tv. Mine,1080p. Obviously because the atari's graphics are so basic you won't see a major difference

The display is noticeably crisper/clearer tho 👍

7 hours ago, Giles N said:

Anyone tested Plutos? (Klax eorked right?)

Anyone tested how the update works with a Dragonfly and Trebors pack or similar, changing the ROM to run into the dumper?

Anyone tested Hack-ROMs from Dragonfly or similar, or from free standing carts?

Motor Psycho? Does it run now?

Whatabout newer homebrews? Popeye? 1942?

(independent of how likely/unlikely it is that such titles makes a big difference to whether people get a 2600+ or not, it can be worth testing everything just to get as far as possible with this update.)

Plutos worked on V1.1, got another debug load fixing Popeye, so it will work in the near future for sure.

• Like 1

aren't the profiles backward compatible?

yes but the device must indicate which power profile it wants. The 2600+ doesn't do this so the 'better' adapter / cable will not supply any power when it's not requested.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blinky said:

yes but the device must indicate which power profile it wants. The 2600+ doesn't do this so the 'better' adapter / cable will not supply any power when it's not requested.

Thanks. I would have assumed that there is common fallback.

59 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I would have assumed that there is common fallback.

That is not possible with USB-C because the direction of power is no longer fixed (Also cables have the same connector at each end so a cable could be connected either way). One could (unintentionally) connect two adapters/chargers together (a phone in charger mode connected to a charger for example).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blinky said:

That is not possible with USB-C because the direction of power is no longer fixed (Also cables have the same connector at each end so a cable could be connected either way). One could (unintentionally) connect two adapters/chargers together (a phone in charger mode connected to a charger for example).

Does that mean, the USB-C port of the 2600+ is not standard compliant?

I vaguely remember that someone said that it is technically actually USB-A.

Does that mean, the USB-C port of the 2600+ is not standard compliant?

Yes.

I vaguely remember that someone said that it is technically actually USB-A.

USB-A is a connector type. The 2600+ is USB 2.0 but just uses a USB-C connector.

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure it's right to say it's not USB-C standard complaint, so long as the CC/A5 line in the port has "legacy port" termination. Legacy devices connected to USB-C is part of the standard.