IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

33 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I think your right. Either the hardware is different or something in the software. They can’t all be the same.

So far I am aware of three separate instances where someone is complaining and has shared video of a performance issue with their 2600+ which I am unable to replicate and instead mine is performing fine:

1) California Games by Epyx (NTSC).  Video shared showing the intro scene music and scrolling animation is playing slow/inconsistent.  But mine performs fine.

2) Keystone Kapers by Activision (NTSC).  Video shared showing the occasional stuttering and unsmooth movement of the shopping carts and player.  But mine performs fine.

3) Kangaroo by Atari (NTSC).  Video shared of completely disappearing sprites when they should just be flickering.  But mine performs fine.

We are all running on the same 2600+ hardware, right?  Who can explain these performance differences?  My 2600+ is serial number 00027603 purchased from Atari.com on day one of the pre-order.

• Like 2

I am not experiencing the issue with keystone kapers or kangaroo either. I don’t have California Games to test with. 

but I do have H.E.R.O. And that one stutters quite a bit with the character is running along most screens. That one has been reproduced by others. Try it on yours.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

17 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

but I do have H.E.R.O. And that one stutters quite a bit with the character is running along most screens. That one has been reproduced by others. Try it on yours.

I don’t have H.E.R.O. unfortunately. 

Wish I did. Great game.

5 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

What kind of Mac did you use?

I could only get this to work on an old Intel Mac. My newer Apple silicon Mac wouldn't work.

Yup, that's why keep a legacy computer around. And by legacy I mean 5 years old. Meanwhile Ryzen 9's have closed the gap and moving to a phone processor doesn't seem quite as visionary anymore. Oh well, we got you guys 4000 dollar VR headsets lol. 

Not to go TOO far off topic, but right now my 2000 dollar 2017 imac has 64 gigs of user replacable ram, can run windows native and virtualized, and has a bigger, higher resolution screen than the 2023 24" iMacs do that apple wants 3000 for top spec and I'd have to lose 40 gigs of ram. Make it make sense. 

Edited by tradyblix

7 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

What kind of Mac did you use?

I could only get this to work on an old Intel Mac. My newer Apple silicon Mac wouldn't work.

The issue is that Windows 11 ARM supports ARM -> x86/x64 binary translation only in user mode --- you can run run x86/x64 software just fine on Apple Silicon in a Windows 11 ARM VM, but you cannot install x86/x64 device drivers.

What does work with Parallels, though, is using Rockchip's linux updater in a Rosetta enabled Linux VM. If you set up a Linux VM, Parallels will ask you whether you want to enable Rosetta 2 support. If you enable that it will set up x64 emulation via Rosetta and install the necessary x64 packages on Linux, and you can run the updater just fine. Please check my previous post here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358796-atari-2600-beta-update-11/?do=findComment&comment=5389110 .

If you don't have Parallels you can supposedly also use a UTM VM, as they support Rosetta 2, too (although the setup requires more manual steps). On Linux VMs that don't have Rosetta 2 enable you can use qemu-user to run the updater.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Chad5200 How is your 2600+ powered? If your using a power brick whats the volts and amps?

As perverse as this is going to sound, I've been powering my 2600+ off the Nintendo Switch base station's USB port....   so far no problems, but I don't have Kangaroo, Hero or California Games to test

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I am not experiencing the issue with keystone kapers or kangaroo either. I don’t have California Games to test with. 

I'm the same as you. My (NTSC) Keystone Kapers works absolutely fine. Also I don't have California Games

8 hours ago, chad5200 said:

1) California Games by Epyx (NTSC).  Video shared showing the intro scene music and scrolling animation is playing slow/inconsistent.

I can confirm my 2600+ has this issue with California Games. I do not remember if it behaved like this prior to the update, but I have had instances where simply turning the console on/off a few times will correct the problem & scrolling & music are normal speed.

8 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I have H.E.R.O. I’ll give it a try.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chad5200 said:

So far I am aware of three separate instances where someone is complaining and has shared video of a performance issue with their 2600+ which I am unable to replicate and instead mine is performing fine:

1) California Games by Epyx (NTSC).  Video shared showing the intro scene music and scrolling animation is playing slow/inconsistent.  But mine performs fine.

2) Keystone Kapers by Activision (NTSC).  Video shared showing the occasional stuttering and unsmooth movement of the shopping carts and player.  But mine performs fine.

3) Kangaroo by Atari (NTSC).  Video shared of completely disappearing sprites when they should just be flickering.  But mine performs fine.

We are all running on the same 2600+ hardware, right?  Who can explain these performance differences?  My 2600+ is serial number 00027603 purchased from Atari.com on day one of the pre-order.

I pre-ordered mine on 9/26. What a few weeks after? Mine was Manufactured RichCo (Asia) Ltd. Central, Hong Kong.

10 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I just tried H.E.R.O. In my 2600+ It runs smooth. It’s crazy the games that run for you won’t run smooth for me and it’s the opposite for mine.

AFAIK only the memory is different between the consoles. We had the problem with poor memory on the R77, which had to be massively downclocked to work reliably. Maybe we are facing a similar problem here? Maybe the consoles are running the memory at different speeds?

That's just speculation. Maybe some people who can hack the 2600+ can figure out if there is any difference here or elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

AFAIK only the memory is different between the consoles. We had the problem with poor memory on the R77, which had to be massively downclocked to work reliably. Maybe we are facing a similar problem here? Maybe the consoles are running the memory at different speeds?

That's just speculation. Maybe some people who can hack the 2600+ can figure out if there is any difference here or elsewhere.

That’s a possibility it has to be something that’s different in the consoles. It can’t be software the only difference is Beta 1.1 right?

4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

That’s a possibility it has to be something that’s different in the consoles. It can’t be software the only difference is Beta 1.1 right?

The root password is "deeplay", and there is a UART header on the main board that can be used to connect and get a terminal. I think @Blinky posted the pinout on the hardware thread (one of the very first posts). I'll check later what parameters can be obtained, and how 😏 (CPU clock, GPU clock, DRAM clock, etc.)

EDIT: Sorry, wrong quote, wanted to quote @Thomas Jentzsch instead 😏

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Actually mine sounds slow a glitchy!

IMG_2105.MOV

Based on our comparisons of California Games, Keystone Kapers, and Kangaroo, I've come to the conclusion that you have the "slow" 2600+ version and I have the "fast" 2600+ version.

Maybe I am wrong and all 2600+ models are equal.  But this is my working assumption until someone proves otherwise as the evidence is mounting.

What is your serial number?

• Thanks 1

since these problems that occur in some units and in not others are only a matter of NTSC games, while in PAL games the problems occur in all units. I keep my position of implementing the phosphor effect at the existing 1225 build and seeing if the problem of disappearing sprites is over.

12 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

since these problems that occur in some units and in not others are only a matter of NTSC games, while in PAL games the problems occur in all units. I keep my position of implementing the phosphor effect at the existing 1225 build and seeing if the problem of disappearing sprites is over.

Phosphor will only reduce the effects of the problem but not fix it. There are frames skipped, this must be fixed.

• Like 1