IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

On 1/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

One can achieve the same by putting the ROMs as single loads onto a Harmony cart using e.g. F4 bankswitching for 32K games (I think when Circus Convoy is supported, even 128K games should work using SB bankswitching). 

But overall that's even more fake than using the dumper only. IMHO.

John tested & confirmed doesnt work with Harmony in developer mode or melody boards using standard SB. 

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Currently 2600+ compatibility for ARM games means 2600+ compatibility only (the carts will not work in a real 2600).

Did I miss something? Is there a type of ARM games which only works on 2600+ and not on a real 2600?

11 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

9AEBD03B-D4B3-4C96-9649-6D978DBE23A5.jpeg

Interesting, I spotted your mainboard has a little mod. There's a 0 ohm resistor (inside the red circle) where on mine and other boards there's a transistor (on your board there are also some parts missing). I don't think it has any effect on speed but I do wonder if that's the reason why the power LED lights up on some Atari 2600+ when a HDMI cable is connnected while power is off.

image.png.a8fbeb1384b153b17968949912dc1b97.png

Edited by Blinky
added image
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Did I miss something? Is there a type of ARM games which only works on 2600+ and not on a real 2600?

People have created 32K carts using F4. These contain the complete ROM and can be dumped by the 2600+. Stella still recognizes an ARM game and emulates it correctly.

Fake^2 :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KainXavier said:

@Ben from Plaion

I'm sorry to bother you again, but do you know if the version of Maze Craze included in the 10 Games In 1 cartridge is actually the NTSC version?

I'm running into a new issue with the beta firmware where the game refuses to display on my TV ~90% of the time, and I suspect it has something to do with the PAL changes.  I never ran into this issue on the v1.0 firmware, and I've verified the cartridge still works on my NTSC 7800 with RF output.  The PAL colors for Maze Craze are pretty similar to the NTSC version so I'm honestly not sure if the colors are wrong, and this is in fact the PAL version.  I don't have any other PAL games to test, sadly.  Lastly, all of the other games in the 10-in-1 cartridge work fine.  Video attached.

MC_Plus.mov 5.45 MB · 1 download

I tried two 10 in 1 carts on my machine this morning - the machine has auto detect NTSC PAL cart on - basically its the 1.1 beta. Went through every game multiple times. Every game boots at 60hz. However Maze Craze does a weird flip to 50hz once the game starts. Attached is the file of Maze Craze used.

Maze Craze (1978).a26

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Interesting, I spotted your mainboard has a little mod. There's a 0 ohm resistor (inside the red circle) where on mine and other boards there's a transistor (on your board there are also some parts missing). I don't think it has any effect on speed but I do wonder if that's the reason why the power LED lights up on some Atari 2600+ when a HDMI cable is connnected while power is off.

Good catch. There's more differences if you compare to @chad5200's board (and my own): the whole part of circuit below "5V GND" is unpopulated. For reference, here's a (unfortunately slightly blurry) picture of my board:
IMG_2903.thumb.jpeg.e39f4c333c6e2e65d1edffceaa9e7f54.jpeg

Edited by DirtyHairy

2 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

Also, the number on top is different, "RBXY 2337" vs "RBXY 2330".

Production week 37 of 2023  vs production week 30. so somewhere between that time they decided to not need the parts below the 5V GND area and bypass it by the 0 ohm resistor.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blinky said:

image.png.a8fbeb1384b153b17968949912dc1b97.png

So it shouldn’t effect speed at which some games run on mine?

Edited by MrChickenz

27 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

So it shouldn’t effect speed at which some games run on mine?

I doubt it. I think the circuitry has more to do with (the power input of) the micro USB connector. Since it is not used they decided to remove those parts and save on costs.

11 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

👍

Seeing that you're new to the AtariAge forums: There is a heart-shaped reaction button on the bottom-right of each post, which you can use. That creates less clutter for people reading the posts. 

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Seeing that you're new to the AtariAge forums: There is a heart-shaped reaction button on the bottom-right of each post, which you can use. That creates less clutter for people reading the posts. 

But it misses a 👍 . ;) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blinky said:

Production week 37 of 2023  vs production week 30. so somewhere between that time they decided to not need the parts below the 5V GND area and bypass it by the 0 ohm resistor.

Makes sense. I wonder whether any other changes to the components were made to cut costs. Maybe the oscillator circuit of the affected units is skewed (although it looks identical on the picture)? This could be checked by connecting to an affected device via terminal, leaving it on and then comparing the clock after one or two days --- if something is wrong with the oscillator there will be a drift.

Edited by DirtyHairy

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

@Ben from Plaion Do you have Kangaroo NTSC to dupe the disappearing 2600 sprites?

Does it happen to PAL carts too? It happens to PAL Frogger on my 2600+ (frog on long wood in the river dispappears) but hard to say if it is 50Hz output or CPU load hits the roof or DRAM can't follow 🤔 H.E.R.O PAL runs fine.

I just bought a PAL copy of Kangaroo on ebay, couldnt find a NTSC version though. Better then nothing I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Does it happen to PAL carts too? It happens to PAL Frogger on my 2600+ (frog on long wood in the river dispappears) but hard to say if it is 50Hz output or CPU load hits the roof or DRAM can't follow 🤔 H.E.R.O PAL runs fine.

The problem with sprites disappearing in PAL games is something that appears on all units and only has to do with the implementation of 50Hz. The two most logical solutions to this problem would be not to implement 50Hz and continue at 60Hz, to be able to enjoy the other positive aspects of the update (z26 palette, improved Atari 7800 emulation, realsports boxing...), or to find a definitive solution to the implementation of 50Hz, which would be much more complicated, I think

• Like 1

This thread is rather complex to follow. Unfortunately I have only macs at home, so cannot really contribute here. I have two questions though:- are the new 7800 homebrews (like E.X.O or  Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest) working with the new beta? 

- Do you need admin rights to update the 2600+ unit with windows? If no, I could try to use my work PC. 

Edited by MarcinJ

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I just bought a PAL copy of Kangaroo on ebay, couldnt find a NTSC version though. Better then nothing I guess.

My copy of Kangaroo works fine on version 1.0, but I see sprites disappearing in Frogger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcinJ said:

This thread is rather complex to follow. Unfortunately I have only macs at home, so cannot really contribute here. I have two questions though:- are the new 7800 homebrews (like E.X.O or  Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest) working with the new beta? 

- Do you need admin rights to update the 2600+ unit with windows? If no, I could try to use my work PC. 

-I don't know if E.X.O works but i think that bentley bear's crystal quest works fine

- No, you don't need any kind of rights to update the firmware, the files and instrucctions to do that are in the first post

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

-I don't know if E.X.O works but i think that bentley bear's crystal quest works fine

- No, you don't need any kind of rights to update the firmware, the files and instrucctions to do that are in the first post

Good news with BB's CQ!
OK, I will try to update my unit at work next week. :) 

1 hour ago, AtariYMás009 said:

The problem with sprites disappearing in PAL games is something that appears on all units and only has to do with the implementation of 50Hz. The two most logical solutions to this problem would be not to implement 50Hz and continue at 60Hz

Since the issue appears with 60Hz too, it is a more fundamental problem, which is unrelated to the 50Hz feature. 

• Like 2