IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Coleco Rev 3 carts are indeed working! 

I don’t have the M-Network games to test and 16k games don’t work with Harmony on the 2600+ yet. 

very nice!

M-Network games still have the same issue of not responding to input for me. They load tho. Maybe we need the emulator update in progress for those. 

Since I discovered Super Football and Pete Rose Baseball I'm not sure I care lol. Well there's astroblast I guess. 

Edited by tradyblix

32 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I really like Tigervision games. The only weird thing is that my least favourite one is Jawbreaker, and I think that's the one that is the most highly regarded.

I would say Marauder and Polaris are top tier, Threshold is very good, and King Kong is pretty fun

I feel the same for the US Games/Vidtec games. I know they aren’t at the top of anyone’s lists, but I find them fun.

Towering Inferno is fun. So is Commando Raid.

Space Jockey is repetitive but the graphics are great and it’s occasionally challenging. 

Sneak & Peek is weird and awesome. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Coleco Rev 3 carts are indeed working! 

I don’t have the M-Network games to test and 16k games don’t work with Harmony on the 2600+ yet. 

very nice!

John what do you mean by Rev 3 are there multiple versions of the white cart? I have a bunch of M-Network carts I can check!

Edited by MrChickenz

54 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Coleco White carts, all (NTSC) Venture, Donkey Kong, Carnival all work for me however Time Pilot and Mouse Trap load but won’t play

I don’t have Time Pilot but I do have Mouse Trap and it’s playing fine. Always has since 1.00 if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

M-Network games still have the same issue of not responding to input for me. They load tho. Maybe we need the emulator update in progress for those. 

Since I discovered Super Football and Pete Rose Baseball I'm not sure I care lol. Well there's astroblast I guess. 

You are missing out on Dark Cavern... great game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Nobody's saying that. I'm saying you have a bunch of people with 2600+ and if you cared about them you'd provide games for them. The attitudes I have gotten from people so far indicated they don't understand that or care. "play it on the original one".

Somehow people on here morphed that into "you must only target 2600+ going forward". No. that's absurd. 

Maybe going forward more people will consider not doing things that makes new games incomptiable. Especially when the vast majority of homebrews dont' do those things and DO work. Including ones I bought off here. Not that hard to understand. 

Calm your tits. 

You are asking that homebrewers *not* exploit the full capabilities of the 2600(and 7800,) so as to make carts for the somewhat incompatible 2600+.  At this point, we don't even know what the 'hard' limits of the 2600+ will be, when it comes to proper compatibility.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, fluxit said:

You are asking that homebrewers *not* exploit the full capabilities of the 2600(and 7800,) so as to make carts for the somewhat incompatible 2600+.  At this point, we don't even know what the 'hard' limits of the 2600+ will be, when it comes to proper compatibility.

at this point homebrewers are creating new hardware that could never have feasibly existed in 1982 at any price reasonable to produce, in order to run software on the 2600 that is in most ways absurd overkill for the 2600's original capabilities and intent.

These are the same people calling the 2600+ a "second tier/low quality" system.

The lack of self awareness is so thick you can spread it like butter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Coleco White carts, all (NTSC) Venture, Donkey Kong, Carnival all work for me however Time Pilot and Mouse Trap load but won’t play

70E9F821-30D5-4B3A-A69C-561FDA0D9ABB.jpeg

E68F87E7-797F-4F4A-98D6-1B682249F0E6.jpeg

This is rather odd as my mousetrap works and plays fine in both the plus and original hardware id maybe try it again and see if maybe the controller is in wrong port or maybe the controller isn't working properly or something

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cody2000 said:

This is rather odd as my mousetrap works and plays fine in both the plus and original hardware id maybe try it again and see if maybe the controller is in wrong port or maybe the controller isn't working properly or something

Hey, Cody, these carts all work in original hardware I have multiple systems. I cleaned them well.what I find odd is there’s no maze for mousetrap and a blank screen with garbled Time Pilot text. I’ll try again though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

I find odd is there’s no maze for mousetrap

Is the TV-type switch in B-W position? The Maze and collectibles are hidden in that case. A game reset with TV-type in color position will normally show the maze again.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

at this point homebrewers are creating new hardware that could never have feasibly existed in 1982 at any price reasonable to produce, in order to run software on the 2600 that is in most ways absurd overkill for the 2600's original capabilities and intent.

The intent of the 2600 was for it to be expandable by the cartridge slot. That's what these developers are doing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Actually I did most of the testing. :) 

There I found out that the this only very rarely works. I had tested with Space Rocks. It works, only the logo is garbled at the title screen. The earlier Elevator Action demos somehow work too, but with glitches. Earlier Zookeeper demos work too. However many ROMs refused to even load onto my Harmony (Dracionian, Mappy, SF2, WoW, Super Cobra Arcade, Zeviouz, Galagon, RobotWar-2684: "Cannot compress F4 binary").

I think all games up to 16K can be made running using that trick, no matter what bankswitching they are using. For 32K games there is some compression involved (probably to make room for some driver code). If that fails (not enough compression possible) or affects the game code, the game will not run. The 32K games may work better with an Encore, I don't know. 

BTW: I got Boulder Dash working that way too. :) 

I managed to get all Champ 32k games working using this ancient tech with F4 Bank switching, they work surprisingly well TBH. John had to disable quatari & sega game pad to be able to play them properly. :)

4 minutes ago, mastic_man said:

I managed to get all Champ 32k games working using this ancient tech with F4 Bank switching, they work surprisingly well TBH. John had to disable quatari & sega game pad to be able to play them properly. :)

Did you use a Harmony cart or EEPROMs?

On 1/18/2024 at 4:43 PM, DirtyHairy said:

To wrap up, from what I have seen I am now pretty sure that 1. this is a CPU issue and 2. some 2600+ run slower than others. I have seen the same frame skipping issues others have reported when CPU utilisation is close to 100% (or the core is maxed out). Many games use >90% of one core, and if some devices are slower than others that would explain the issues.

Loved this post! As someone who spent 2+ years getting all Atari games running full speed on StellaDS, there are some games that absolutely hit harder than others. Forgetting about ARM assisted games for a moment, the two games that hit my port of Stella the hardest was the homebrew Elevators Amiss (4K) and Four Play (16K). They use combinations of playfield, ball, missile, etc. that just fall into the more complex rendering algorithms.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That explains it. The Harmony needs compression and this breaks most games.

Another thing I noticed, the save keys are becoming corrupt after saving high scores. There is just garbage being displayed where your high score should be 

IMG_0680.jpeg

25 minutes ago, wavemotion said:

Loved this post! As someone who spent 2+ years getting all Atari games running full speed on StellaDS, there are some games that absolutely hit harder than others. Forgetting about ARM assisted games for a moment, the two games that hit my port of Stella the hardest was the homebrew Elevators Amiss (4K) and Four Play (16K). They use combinations of playfield, ball, missile, etc. that just fall into the more complex rendering algorithms.

Interesting. We found that e.g. the starfield of Cosmic Ark is very demanding. The two homebrews you mention require less CPU power.