IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

39 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

Good point. My chip just got slightly warm, not hot, so I didn't consider it, but I didn't check the temperature systematically. Maybe someone who has issues should open their device and check the temperature with their fingers.

[root@rk312x:~]# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
cat: /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp: Invalid argument

Boo.  I guess it's not enabled in the kernel?

29 minutes ago, karri said:

My cart has no problems to provide data for F4, F6 and F8 carts. Supporting SC ram makes no difference. 

The SC RAM is quite slow. E.g. it is too slow to run code in it. Which means it cannot be even read at 1.19 MHz.

51 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I'd like to second this request. Not anywhere near as high of a priority as sorting out compatibility and dumper issues of course. But it's something that would be nice to have down the road (and it would make the 2600+ more consumer-update-friendly than dealing with VMs and such).

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/install/rockchip-flash-tools

Found this and right now compile the stuff on my M1. Let's see how far I can get with it...

edit: Will this only work for RockPi(4) or is it a universal flash tool for other CPUs as well?

edit2: darn, wrong type of chip and not universal, it seems. But how about this (correct RK3128 but different console): https://github.com/Ruka-CFW/rk3128-cfw/releases  perhaps it could be adapted for the 2600+ ?

Edited by larsvonhier

35 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Theoretically can this be possible for the Mainboard IMG and Dumper EXE, even if it was two seperate actions?

Sure, in the sense that people would use the same web page to first flash the Linux image, and then flash the dumper.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2

Testing the AtariDumper1.1.0.9 version with 3 games that did not work for me, they are pal versions, Coleco's zaxxon, crossbow, karateka now they start perfectly with this version, good job, I hope they review why the tower toppler displays the towers poorly, greetings

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Maq said:

Testing the AtariDumper1.1.0.9 version with 3 games that did not work for me, they are pal versions, Coleco's zaxxon, crossbow, karateka now they start perfectly with this version, good job, I hope they review why the tower toppler displays the towers poorly, greetings

The tower toppled issue is because the game was coded for a composite/coax RF input on a CRT TV. The emulator would need a filter to mimic a CRT display to display it correctly.

you would see the same issue from a genuine 7800 if you used an s-video video mod through an HDMI scaler 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Maq said:

Tower Toppler display has also been fixed very recently @Dr Karnov tested a build not yet released and made me a video. He can give you some feedback to how the test version played.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Tower Toppler display has also been fixed very recently @Dr Karnov tested a build not yet released and made me a video. He can give you some feedback to how the test version played.

Thanks for the information, every day everything gets better, thank you

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The tower toppled issue is because the game was coded for a composite/coax RF input on a CRT TV. The emulator would need a filter to mimic a CRT display to display it correctly.

you would see the same issue from a genuine 7800 if you used an s-video video mod through an HDMI scaler 

I was wondering if the cause of the clicking sound in Pitfall is related to the HDMI some how. But there’s no clicking on the Retron. 77.

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I also use Macs as my primary machines, so I third this request.  But I'm guessing that's unlikely, as the companies that make these devices usually only provide Windows software to update them.  Because of this, especially for the many legacy flash and EPROM parts I have that require Windows software, I use Windows VMs and dedicated Windows machines for these purposes.  But I know that's not an option (or at least an easy option) for many who only use Macs.

..Al

I fourth this request - expecting not to have it granted, but hoping for the best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, karri said:

• Stargate / Defender II (8K)

• Crack'ed (16K) prototype

• Crystal Castles (16K)

• Dark Chambers (16K)

• Dig Dug (16K) - 1st SARA-enabled game

• Save Mary (16K) prototype

• Fatal Run (32K)

The above work fine with my multi-cart, including Aardvark.  I'll try to find some time to try the others you've listed. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, karri said:

My cart has no problems to provide data for F4, F6 and F8 carts. Supporting SC ram makes no difference. Currently I can run the cart at 400MHz and it keeps nicely up with the 7800 RType experiments. So I can assure you that the problem is not the dumper speed.

Here is the code for the Aardwark cart emulation.

Otaku-flash/build26romF4SC.py at main · karrika/Otaku-flash (github.com)

I can assure you that the dumper speed is faster than a real 2600. That is the point I was trying to make here, not that it was too fast for any arbitrary cart. If a lot of carts work, that is great. But if we want *all* carts to work, including those that people already own, the dumper should not try to access data faster than a real 2600 does.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If anyone wants to see any additional footage of Robot Tank (NTSC) or Tower Toppler (PAL) running on the new beta firmware, just let me know and I can record some later on

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The SC RAM is quite slow. E.g. it is too slow to run code in it. Which means it cannot be even read at 1.19 MHz.

This explains why the cart occasionally works. If the writes don't get registered then the dumper dumps the data as a plain F4 cart. The RAM does not have time to work properly. The RAM in my cart works fast enough for running the display lists so it reacts immediately.

But the real problem is that you have to invent a way to dump the RAM area reliably without writing random static in the RAM during the dump process.

7 hours ago, astroguy said:

The above work fine with my multi-cart, including Aardvark.  I'll try to find some time to try the others you've listed. 

Wow! Could you share your code for the F4SC? I would like to understand why my implementation fails.

6 hours ago, batari said:

I can assure you that the dumper speed is faster than a real 2600. That is the point I was trying to make here, not that it was too fast for any arbitrary cart. If a lot of carts work, that is great. But if we want *all* carts to work, including those that people already own, the dumper should not try to access data faster than a real 2600 does.

I misunderstood your post. All carts that work on a real 2600 should work. Matching the dumper speed with a real 2600 should not be difficult to do.

1 hour ago, karri said:

This explains why the cart occasionally works. If the writes don't get registered then the dumper dumps the data as a plain F4 cart. The RAM does not have time to work properly. The RAM in my cart works fast enough for running the display lists so it reacts immediately.

AFAIK the dumper doesn't detect RAM. So it won't write to RAM. The extra RAM is detected by Stella, but only if it is dumped identical for each bank.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

AFAIK the dumper doesn't detect RAM. So it won't write to RAM. The extra RAM is detected by Stella, but only if it is dumped identical for each bank.

If the dumper reads any location of the ROM in the range 0...127 it is interpreted by the cart as a write and it will change the values in the locations 128...255 of the ROM.

The problem here is that there is no RW pin connected to the cart so the cart cannot see the difference between a read and a write. If the dumper does a write to location 0 everything is fine and the value of the write goes to the location 128 of the ROM. If the dumper does a read to location 0 there is no chip outputting data to the databus and the dumper writes garbage to location 128.

1 hour ago, karri said:

If the dumper reads any location of the ROM in the range 0...127 it is interpreted by the cart as a write and it will change the values in the locations 128...255 of the ROM.

Ah yes, that's correct.

1 hour ago, karri said:

The problem here is that there is no RW pin connected to the cart so the cart cannot see the difference between a read and a write. If the dumper does a write to location 0 everything is fine and the value of the write goes to the location 128 of the ROM. If the dumper does a read to location 0 there is no chip outputting data to the databus and the dumper writes garbage to location 128.

Hm, but then why are SC RAM dumps reported to be working in the 2600+?

@Ben from Plaion Or does the dumper detect extra RAM now?