IGNORED

Clean your Carts

tradyblix

Slightly off topic, but closer to this thread than any other. Something I’ve been curious about with all the cartridge cleaning I’ve been doing. 

@Ben from Plaion

What are your thoughts on the exposed cartridge slot pins on the console itself getting dusty and dirty over time?

Is this something that perhaps should have a cartridge dust cover made for it at some point? A blank cartridge or something smaller that’s only purpose is to keep the pins clean. 

1 hour ago, MikeM_ said:

Slightly off topic, but closer to this thread than any other. Something I’ve been curious about with all the cartridge cleaning I’ve been doing. 

@Ben from Plaion

What are your thoughts on the exposed cartridge slot pins on the console itself getting dusty and dirty over time?

Is this something that perhaps should have a cartridge dust cover made for it at some point? A blank cartridge or something smaller that’s only purpose is to keep the pins clean. 

The plastic cover from the packaging seems a good temp until some enterprising outfit (Atari, prthaps) makes a new dust cover.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

@Ben from Plaion

I just keep a cartridge in mine at all times. That's an old trick with cartridge slots and consoles that don't have built in dust covers. Though, as far as I know, only a handful of consoles ever had those spring loaded doors built in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I just keep a cartridge in mine at all times. That's an old trick with cartridge slots and consoles that don't have built in dust covers. Though, as far as I know, only a handful of consoles ever had those spring loaded doors built in.

I’m a little weary of that because I would think over time it would lessen the spring tension of the pins. 

I’d rather have a solution that only fits around the plastic and doesn’t enter the slot. I suppose I could take apart a game that doesn’t work and remove the chip. 

20 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I’m a little weary of that because I would think over time it would lessen the spring tension of the pins. 

I’d rather have a solution that only fits around the plastic and doesn’t enter the slot. I suppose I could take apart a game that doesn’t work and remove the chip. 

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225981504573

And this on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1512453189/atari-26002800-slot-cover-console-dust

But your idea of taking apart a dead game and using the empty cart is pretty good! (At least it would be cheaper!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

I have no scientific data to back this up, but all I can say is that I've been leaving cartridges in slots for decades without it seeming to have any negative affect on the pins. Still, a little plastic cap for the slot branded with Atari and the Fuji logo, similar to that 3D printed one that @susy posted, would be sweet.

• Like 1

I don't think a dust cap like that is a bad idea - but the problem is that when you see ones for sale on etsy or eBay, sellers might ask $10-12 for the cover... and $20+ for shipping!  Sorry but I'm not going to pay $30+ for a little hunk of plastic.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 7.08.44 PM.png

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:09 PM, LS650 said:

I don't think a dust cap like that is a bad idea - but the problem is that when you see ones for sale on etsy or eBay, sellers might ask $10-12 for the cover... and $20+ for shipping!  Sorry but I'm not going to pay $30+ for a little hunk of plastic.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 7.08.44 PM.png

Dude, that looks sick. I'd love to have something like that, but I'd still like to support Atari and Plaion and I might wait a while to see if they release something like that.

I always feel sorry for Canadians when I see or hear about those shipping prices. It's a shame it costs so much to get products to you, especially since you share a land border with the United States. (yes, I know why it's the way it is)

• Like 1

So my Coleco copy of Donkey Kong has been non-functional for a long time (replaced it with a red-label one a couple years ago).

Opened it up, pulled out the chip, then put it back together with a repro label and voilà! Dust cover. 

IMG_3900.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 12:12 AM, MikeM_ said:

@Ben from Plaion

I'm quite the fan of the clear cover provided in the box

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 5:48 PM, Glorkbot said:

I found this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225981504573

And this on etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1512453189/atari-26002800-slot-cover-console-dust

But your idea of taking apart a dead game and using the empty cart is pretty good! (At least it would be cheaper!)

I like these options but the postage in both cases is just too much. Shame. 

I have a blank Activision cart shell, the game was dead, I have already removed the board. Maybe I'll use that. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:51 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm quite the fan of the clear cover provided in the box

Until someone on Etsy makes a cover specifically for the 2600+ I’m doin that, but a major downside is that it doesn’t fit quite right with cables attached. I could cut some notches I guess, but the packaging is so nice I’m loathe to deface it 😂

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little PSA here concerning cart cleaning. 

I had a copy of barnstorming that I couldn’t get working on my 2600+ or my original 7800. Cleaned the hell out of it and it just wouldn’t play. 

Couple weeks went by and decided to give it one more cleaning and try it again before officially calling it a dead cart. 

Worked on first try. 

Don’t give up right away. There is always a chance. 👍🏼 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 9:28 PM, MikeM_ said:

So my Coleco copy of Donkey Kong has been non-functional for a long time (replaced it with a red-label one a couple years ago).

Opened it up, pulled out the chip, then put it back together with a repro label and voilà! Dust cover. 

IMG_3900.jpeg

This is my solution for my 2600 jr. An empty Activision cart (non-working Freeway) with DIY label.

My 2600+ is stored in a cupboard with a sliding door, protected from dust

IMG_0695.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like some of the cartridge plugs you see on etsy - but with the shipping charges from the States it would cost me about $30 US for a small hunk of fancy plastic.

I decided to make my own cartridge plug with some art craft foam I had sitting around.

It turned out pretty good for free, I think.

Picture2.jpg Pic1.jpg

• Like 5

People have mentioned pencil erasers, and I'm sure that these have been discussed before on AtariAge, but I'd like to add my recommendation for the electric eraser. 

They work really well for that Activision cart that still has significant visible carbon(or green corrosion, as the case may be) on the contacts, even though you've scrubbed and scrubbed with a swab and IPA, and the swab no longer removes anything.  The electric eraser can give your contacts back that clean, shiny appearance.  Yes, it's mildly abrasive, so don't go overboard, but they don't have super high speeds, or overly torquey motors so they shouldn't be likely to cause damage if used carefully.

The eraser can be extended to access contacts without cart disassembly, by applying a small piece of tape to the eraser holder.  This will keep the eraser from working itself out of the holder while in use.

Electric-Eraser-long-102_0354.JPG

Electric-Eraser-taped-102_0356.JPG

On Amazon.  On AliExpress. On Ebay.

Edited by fluxit
added links

On 2/12/2024 at 7:30 PM, LS650 said:

I like some of the cartridge plugs you see on etsy - but with the shipping charges from the States it would cost me about $30 US for a small hunk of fancy plastic.

I decided to make my own cartridge plug with some art craft foam I had sitting around.

It turned out pretty good for free, I think.

Picture2.jpg Pic1.jpg

My DIY solution using the rest of an old iPhone shell…

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

Edited by 2LTIME6100
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 5:11 AM, MikeM_ said:

Little PSA here concerning cart cleaning. 

I had a copy of barnstorming that I couldn’t get working on my 2600+ or my original 7800. Cleaned the hell out of it and it just wouldn’t play. 

Couple weeks went by and decided to give it one more cleaning and try it again before officially calling it a dead cart. 

Worked on first try. 

Don’t give up right away. There is always a chance. 👍🏼 

I have noticed that sometimes it is the fit of the cart, not how clean it is. Looser fitting carts give me the most problems. 👍

• Like 1