IGNORED

BB

OldStyle

It's time to end 2023 with a... POP!

r001.thumb.png.0e5976d62ac465da832ecb7a95d76713.pngr005.thumb.png.4224762884b4a5f319e143b0254f2e55.pngr008.thumb.png.dfd4d593c867ac027a0371565d81ba99.png

It's had a BIG update since the ZeroPage Homebrew reveal with the addition of two more rounds (8 and 9), bonus rounds, and practically ALL of the powerups have been mapped with special abilities or events.   There's certainly a minor bug or two since all of the focus was on shoveling content in.  The game itself is still pretty raw and not quite optimized or finished in certain areas so occasionally there will be brief slowdown and gfx artifacts when things get hot and heavy, but generally speaking it controls well, is very playable and very "BB-like". 

For those unfamiliar, gameplay consists of shooting, trapping, popping trapped monsters and most importantly eating as many delicious treats as you can!  Popping multiple monsters at the same time is a combo, awarding more points.  A combo of three or more will also spawn random EXTEND letters which go toward earning 1up or spawning staffs.  Bonus point items and special/power up items spawn early in rounds.  If you blaze through rounds quickly then it's possible to miss out on powerup and special items before they spawn so to get the most out of the demo just wait it out till they appear.  After several play-thrus the timing and where items spawn will be seared in your brain!

At the moment there's not much in the sound dept. other than the theme music, courtesy of @Synthpopalooza!

One final note - the LEFT DIFFICULTY SWITCH controls how special items are dropped, so...

on A: normal item mode - special/power up items spawn based on in-game happenings

on B: special item tour - iterates through each item, one per round starting with the red cross

I play this exclusively under emulation, however as far as I know it should work with the 7800GD and possibly the DragonFly.  Even though a lot of work and content went into this, there's still a loooooooooong way to go.  The next demo is likely to be rounds 10-19, hopefully with the addition of more monsters and fire, waterslide, and lightning utility. 

Enjoy, and Happy New Year! 🥳

BB.74.20231231.a78

• Like 35
  • Thanks 11

13 minutes ago, Gray Defender said:

Looks really nice.  Thanks for the gift, and Happy New year!

11 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

incredible work!

Thank you gents!  Hopefully this build runs ok for you.  At the end of the rounds is where it'll buckle with so much stuff all over the place!

12 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

Thanks for ending 2023 strong for the 7800!

Oh, the beginning of the ending is only beginning! 😵

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Anyone try it on the dragonfly yet?

I wasn't able to get it running on my Dragonfly, instead of the Atari logo it comes up with a beeping sound and a scrambled display. Admittedly I haven't applied any of the updates to my Dragonfly since I bought it, so that may be the issue. Other very recent titles I tried are loading fine, so the Dragonfly doesn't seem to be damaged. I share the Micro SD card between my Dragonfly and 7800GD, I know the BB file's working fine on the 7800GD.

53 minutes ago, nyandeyanen said:

I wasn't able to get it running on my Dragonfly, instead of the Atari logo it comes up with a beeping sound and a scrambled display. Admittedly I haven't applied any of the updates to my Dragonfly since I bought it, so that may be the issue. Other very recent titles I tried are loading fine, so the Dragonfly doesn't seem to be damaged. I share the Micro SD card between my Dragonfly and 7800GD, I know the BB file's working fine on the 7800GD.

Here are just some of the updates the device is lacking:

-Added header bit support for Double Pokey and Yamaha.
-Fixed bug that did not allow to go back to a higher directory when changing the game. 
-Added an adjustable delay for restarting the console. 
-Changed options displayed after loading the game. 
-Automatic IRQ inclusion for games using Pokey has been added.
-Changing the method of controlling SRAM memory, which should eliminate the problem with freezing of some games.
-Adding POKEY support at $800 and DualPokey at $810 (write only, RANDOM will not work).
-Adding RAM banking - 2x16kB, to switch the bank, write 0 (lower bank) or 1 (upper bank) to the address $FFFF.
-Added BANKSET 2x128k+RAM+POKEY banking scheme used in "Attack of the PETSCII Robots".
-Fixed graphics bugs on NTSC consoles.
-Fixed a bug that may cause Bankset to malfunction.

The latest firmware should really be installed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trebor said:

The latest Firmware should really be installed.

It should be. Alas, it works with everything else I've tried, the process is too much hassle for my limited free time/lack of a Windows system, and I have four flash carts for my 7800 including the 7800GD. TLDR; I'm too lazy to do so.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nyandeyanen said:

It should be. Alas, it works with everything else I've tried, the process is too much hassle for my limited free time/lack of a Windows system, and I have four flash carts for my 7800 including the 7800GD. TLDR; I'm too lazy to do so.

Send it to me and I'll update it for the cost of shipping. Only takes a few min of prep work and 10sec to update it. Shoot me a PM to work out the details if you want.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flashback said:

( the stage is cleared but there is no jump to the next level)

Happens to me, try to jump on top of the screen and you will find hidden bubbles. For some reasons they are not drawn on the screen. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Flashback said:

Thanks for the game!

It works mostly fine on my PAL console with a updated dragonfly, sometime its crashed in the first level ( the stage is cleared but there is no jump to the next level)

Yes, there are a few quirks 🙂 On occasion the round might hang and won't advance as you've seen.  Other instances it looks like it might happen but then it continues on.  Usually that's after one of the nuke all monster events (water, big bolt, fireballs etc).  Other times, you get a few events that occur right when "hurry up!" pops then it looks like the game outright freezes but more often then not it keeps going.

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Happens to me, try to jump on top of the screen and you will find hidden bubbles. For some reasons they are not drawn on the screen. 

I've suspected this as well, trapped monsters & bubbles tend to pass slowly through the top / bottom wrap around of the screen.  At times bubbles could end up being pushed into a wall or beneath the floor too so then they're just in limbo falling indefinitely.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:05 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Send it to me and I'll update it for the cost of shipping. Only takes a few min of prep work and 10sec to update it. Shoot me a PM to work out the details if you want.

Looks like I'm a bit behind on my DF firmware too. @-^CrossBow^- I'll be sending both of mine your way too.

IMG_2939.jpg

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I thought I already updated them? I guess that was before Banksets was released on version 1.09.

It was. I'll try to get them out to you sometime this week. -Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

It was. I'll try to get them out to you sometime this week. -Thanks in advance.

Wow, okay yeah no problem. That means I have the headers already soldered in for the jtag stuff so won't take any time at all to update them and get them back out to you. And unless there is some unforseen issues found, the 1.09 FW is likely to be the last we will see on the DF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Wow, okay yeah no problem. That means I have the headers already soldered in for the jtag stuff so won't take any time at all to update them and get them back out to you. And unless there is some unforseen issues found, the 1.09 FW is likely to be the last we will see on the DF.

Good to know. I have yet to purchase a 7800GD, so this is currently it for me and my testing/playing 7800 ROMs.

• Like 1