IGNORED

BB

OldStyle

We really want to be able to play this on the 2600+. Dragonfly and 7800GD aren't widely available anymore or don't work on the 2600+, so getting a real cart release for it is really important. I can play this on a miyoo mini all day, but I'd much rather slot a real cart into the 2600+ and play, like with all the other great 7800 homebrews, and I'd pay a pretty penny for it. 

Edited by tradyblix

6 hours ago, tradyblix said:

We really want to be able to play this on the 2600+. Dragonfly and 7800GD aren't widely available anymore or don't work on the 2600+, so getting a real cart release for it is really important. I can play this on a miyoo mini all day, but I'd much rather slot a real cart into the 2600+ and play, like with all the other great 7800 homebrews, and I'd pay a pretty penny for it. 

What? 7800GD is the newest of the bunch and still actively sold. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

What? 7800GD is the newest of the bunch and still actively sold. 

I believe his point is that the 7800GD won't work on a 2600+...but I could be wrong.  I would personally suggest an original 7800 console...but that's just me.  

• Like 1

Bubble bobble is one of my all time great arcade titles, and I do like this version, I have been playing it on the Amiga and that version is a lot faster compared to this version, but the 7800 compared to the amiga version it really does look fantastic.

Well done and cannot wait for Rainbow Islands for the 7800 ;) 

On 3/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, doubledown said:

I believe his point is that the 7800GD won't work on a 2600+...but I could be wrong.  I would personally suggest an original 7800 console...but that's just me.  

Correct. Also defeats the purpose, both of HDMI output and of having a clean device without a frankenstein cable/retrotink like setup. The greatest 7800 homebrews like Jr Pac Man, Space Invaders, and Scramble, all have cart releases. I would like one for Bubble Bobble if possible, that is all. 

Edited by tradyblix

3 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Correct. Also defeats the purpose, both of HDMI output and of having a clean device without a frankenstein cable/retrotink like setup. The greatest 7800 homebrews like Jr Pac Man, Space Invaders, and Scramble, all have cart releases. I would like one for Bubble Bobble if possible, that is all. 

I completely understand your thoughts/concerns.  I personally, play most of my vintage games on analog, 4:3 CRTs, that don't have HDMI inputs...thus I prefer original/vintage consoles, with analog outputs (also better for game/hardware compatibility too).  Meaning something like a 2600+ (with an HDMI output) is of little to no use to me.  I'd have to "frankenstein it" to convert it's HDMI output to component video, or similar, for use with my CRTs.  But then, I also prefer joysticks to control pads (for Atari/ColecoVision/Intellivision era games), and I could care less about controllers being wireless.  We're all unique snowflakes!  😉

Regarding BB as a physical release, and it working on the 2600+, I suppose it may depend on the overall size of the game, as to if the 2600+ could even load it.  I'm not sure if it has a maximum file size that it can load into it's memory to play off of...I don't know much about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doubledown said:

I suppose it may depend on the overall size of the game, as to if the 2600+ could even load it.

E.X.O. has a 512kb file size and my understanding is that the 2600+ will run that no problem if you load it up via Dragonfly (I need to test that). 

Not sure what the max size cart / rom is.

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

E.X.O. has a 512kb file size and my understanding is that the 2600+ will run that no problem if you load it up via Dragonfly (I need to test that). 

Not sure what the max size cart / rom is.

Well that's cool if that's true.  Knowing that some modern homebrew games are substantially larger than the original 7800 games (144KB max I think, for originals), I wasn't sure if the 2600+ could load/run anything larger than those or not.  

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Well that's cool if that's true.  Knowing that some modern homebrew games are substantially larger than the original 7800 games (144KB max I think, for originals), I wasn't sure if the 2600+ could load/run anything larger than those or not.  

With certain FW, I've had my 2600+ even running the 1Mb demos from my Dragon Fly cart. So yes it is able to do so and E.X.O. works with the latest experimental FW and updated dumper for the 2600+. A.R.T.I. too.

• Like 1

So far most of the dumper related issues have been on the 2600 side (can't support most multi-carts yet, can't support melody board based games, can't support DPC+ bankswitching) but (at least with a firmware upgrade) it works with games like Double Dragon 7800, all the aforementioned 7800 homebrews, baby pacman, etc. The main limitation will be that it must run on the prosystem emulator, and I know that's not always the preferred 7800 emulator these days. 

I just use the 2600+ for my new cart collection of mixed 2600 and 7800 games, have no compatibility issues with any other 7800 game, and as bubble bobble is one of my favorite all time arcade games, I would love to have a cart for it that i can use in the same way. 

Perhaps there's a licensing issue to making carts with properties that are still owned by others; not sure. I'll play it on rom no matter what, but just would love to have a cart as well. 

Edited by tradyblix

3 hours ago, tradyblix said:

The main limitation will be that it must run on the prosystem emulator, and I know that's not always the preferred 7800 emulator these days. 

That was the limitation.  The 2600+ system, leveraging the available experimental firmware, features emulation comparable to JS7800, since the devs that worked on that emulator have also improved 2600+ emulation of the 7800 console.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

E.X.O. works with the latest experimental FW and updated dumper for the 2600+. A.R.T.I. too.

Confirming that EXO carts run with latest experimental FW and updated dumper.

EXO.jpeg

EXO1.jpeg

• Like 3