IGNORED

Popeye homebrew for sale?

JVersh

What I'm curious to know is what's AtariAge's position on doing these games as custom carts on request?  It's not an openly advertised game. Nobody other than AtariAge and the individual customer will be aware of the transaction.

And what's the feeling of each homebrewer on doing this?  I know you are supposed to obtain permission from each homebrewer to do this and some seem more upfront about being ok with it than others.  

As the games are no longer available in the AtariAge store and if the homebrewer has no interest in publishing themselves or finding another publisher, I don't see why they wouldn't be ok with individuals ordering a single cart for their own personal use, if that's the way a person wants to own the game.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

What I'm curious to know is what's AtariAge's position on doing these games as custom carts on request?

AtariAge is now owned by Atari. Not sure that would work out regardless of being on the down-low or not.

Here is the thread from the creator of the cartridge: 

14 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

As the games are no longer available in the AtariAge store and if the homebrewer has no interest in publishing themselves or finding another publisher, I don't see why they wouldn't be ok with individuals ordering a single cart for their own personal use, if that's the way a person wants to own the game.

Pretty sure these games were pulled because if IP issues, so that may be a reason against. However, you never know unless you ask.

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

What I'm curious to know is what's AtariAge's position on doing these games as custom carts on request?  It's not an openly advertised game. Nobody other than AtariAge and the individual customer will be aware of the transaction.

I'm probably misunderstanding your comment or your intent (apologies in advance if that's the case!), but you seem to be suggesting that AtariAge *could* act unethically (and put a ROM on to a cart without the authors permission), because... no one will know?

I can't speak for Al and AtariAge but I'm sure that would never happen.

Rhetorical question, do you think AtariAge or Atari would risk their relationship with a homebrew author to make what is effectively a "bootleg" copy of their work without the author's permission?

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Well it comes down to this If the author says they do not give permission for any reproductions of their work on to a cart then, you know, that's totally their prerogative. 

I don't see why it would be OK to disregard the author's wishes in that case. If the author is OK with it, well then that's a different story and that's no issue.

• Like 5

I doubt that AtariAge -- which is now a property of Atari -- would make custom carts with the Popeye ROM given that 1) it's a Nintendo game (you'll notice that homebrews based on Atari-owned titles are still available), and 2) there'd probably be some licensing issues with the Popeye characters.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if homebrew developers sought out alternate ways of getting carts made. AtariAge was not the only way to get homebrews pressed to cartridge.

For Popeye to be released again, it needs all the Atari/AtariAge references stripped from the program. The program is very sensitive to changes. Fixing the bottle scoring issue caused graphic corruption. That took time to resolve.

So, even to just release the ROM, the game needs work. Even if I give the ROM away, it needs those references removed.

There are other cartridge sources, but not with HOKEY (POKEY) sound. If I had all the time and parts to build cartridges, I would still need labels and manuals. Both of those would need work on removing AtariAge from them.

I am working on wrapping projects up that I hope to get released as licensed project. Wrapping up a licensed game, and need to get in gear on two other licensed games.

There may be a way to get Popeye out, but it will take a little time.

Maybe I should sell my copy on eBay for a crazy amount, and I can use that money to get the game officially licensed. I am just sharing that, because it came to mind and made me laugh when I read the eBay comment above.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I'm probably misunderstanding your comment or your intent (apologies in advance if that's the case!), but you seem to be suggesting that AtariAge *could* act unethically (and put a ROM on to a cart without the authors permission), because... no one will know?

I can't speak for Al and AtariAge but I'm sure that would never happen.

Rhetorical question, do you think AtariAge or Atari would risk their relationship with a homebrew author to make what is effectively a "bootleg" copy of their work without the author's permission?

Well it comes down to this If the author says they do not give permission for any reproductions of their work on to a cart then, you know, that's totally their prerogative. 

I don't see why it would be OK to disregard the author's wishes in that case. If the author is OK with it, well then that's a different story and that's no issue.

Hi Muddyfunster,

Thanks for your comments.  Nice to hear from an actual homebrewer.  I definitely did not mean that AtariAge should do custom carts of homebrews without the programmer's permission.  I applaud AtariAge for their ethics.  Reading back my comment, I can certainly see how someone might conclude that's what I was getting at so I'll try and clarify.

The "no one will know" comment was more about the possibility of lawyers from the copyright holders of whatever IP the homebrew might be a port of, like Popeye, finding out.  Not about the homebrewer.  As long as the homebrewer gives their permission, I was hoping AtariAge would still do a custom cart.

My concern is, now AtariAge is owned by Atari, AtariAge will no longer even do custom carts of homebrews of ports, even if they have the homebrewer's permission.  And they might not even do custom carts of original run games, even with "reproduction" printed on the label because of the Atari ownership.  

With being an owner of a new 2600+, I am finally in the market to buy 7800 games.  The frustrating thing is, it's too late to purchase the last chance 7800 games and I'm not sure I'll be able to get custom carts of them, or custom carts of original run games that are WAY too pricey on eBay.  I feel there's a strong possibility that my new chance to collect 7800 carts has stalled before it's really started.

I can still get A.R.T.I. And E.X.O. though, so that's something.  I can tell you Dare Devil is definitely going on my next AtariAge order.

So, yeah, definitely NOT saying it's cool to go behind the backs of the talented programmers who make the games.  But I was saying that some seem more ok with making custom carts than others.  As you say, it's their prerogative but I can't think of a valid reason why they would refuse IF they're not monetizing their work in some way anyway.

Hope that clarifies things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

For Popeye to be released again, it needs all the Atari/AtariAge references stripped from the program. The program is very sensitive to changes. Fixing the bottle scoring issue caused graphic corruption. That took time to resolve.

So, even to just release the ROM, the game needs work. Even if I give the ROM away, it needs those references removed.

There are other cartridge sources, but not with HOKEY (POKEY) sound. If I had all the time and parts to build cartridges, I would still need labels and manuals. Both of those would need work on removing AtariAge from them.

I am working on wrapping projects up that I hope to get released as licensed project. Wrapping up a licensed game, and need to get in gear on two other licensed games.

There may be a way to get Popeye out, but it will take a little time.

Maybe I should sell my copy on eBay for a crazy amount, and I can use that money to get the game officially licensed. I am just sharing that, because it came to mind and made me laugh when I read the eBay comment above.

I hear Champ Games are considering selling other programmer's games, although I don't like the thought of John Champeau getting so inundated, he doesn't have time to program his own games.😆

I hope you find a way to publish.  In the meantime, I always have my Parker Bros version for the 2600.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

With being an owner of a new 2600+, I am finally in the market to buy 7800 games.  The frustrating thing is, it's too late to purchase the last chance 7800 games and I'm not sure I'll be able to get custom carts of them, or custom carts of original run games that are WAY too pricey on eBay.  I feel there's a strong possibility that my new chance to collect 7800 carts has stalled before it's really started.

I feel the exact same way.  Got my 7800 in October and now am kicking myself that I didn't pick it up earlier.  There are plenty of fantastic new Homebrews out and I plan on picking up quite a few but I feel left out not being able to grab Pac Man Collection and others.  Guess I'll just have to keep an eye toward the 'Bay and hope I can grab a steal here or there.

22 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Hope that clarifies things.

Absolutely, thanks for clarifying :)

22 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I feel there's a strong possibility that my new chance to collect 7800 carts has stalled before it's really started.

A lot of the new homebrews will be original IP's or licensed ports so you should be good for collecting those without any problems. 🕹️

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 3:53 PM, darryl1970 said:

For Popeye to be released again, it needs all the Atari/AtariAge references stripped from the program. The program is very sensitive to changes. 

Why strip? Can't you just change the graphic? Instead of Popeye punching the circular AA logo can't you just swap it our for a circular picture of something else? Anything else? Change relevant text strings to something else.

Would that work?

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Why strip? Can't you just change the graphic? Instead of Popeye punching the circular AA logo can't you just swap it our for a circular picture of something else? Anything else? Change relevant text strings to something else.

Would that work?

I also removed the Atari Today jingle.

image.thumb.png.e880e948b793e198fbe821528d0493f8.png

Popeye has had issues before when altering graphics. Also, it was time consuming to come up with a replacement. I chip away at it over time.

I haven't had a lot of time lately to devote to anything in particular. I did this while I was helping to figure out why the 2600+ couldn't play specific versions.

The JS7800 emulator has been updated with this version (the latest), and it adds a couple extra playable demo levels.

It might have to change again though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It occurred to me the Atari today jingle could be more problematic to alter. I thought maybe play the jingle backwards.

Instead of a can of spinach how about a picture of the programmer? Have AI do something funny with it and convert it to a suitable format.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Zonie said:

i put a few in my cart waiting for a flight, but then forgot to finish the purchase after I landed and then missed out.

I was on the fence with Popeye, wish I had gotten it now.

This and a few others are why I finally got a 7800 about a year ago.

• 2 months later...

I somehow missed this one being away from the scene for a few years.

What a work of art the demo is. I used to have the Arcade machine and it brings back fond memories of that with its own twist. I'd gladly pay an elevated price to help get the game to "licensed" status or whatever is needed to bring it back to the fold (even if the author just wants to go the way of the ROM format).