IGNORED

Harpy's Curse 7800 out now on the Atari VCS 800 store

Atari_JaguarVCS

Harpy's Curse 7800 is out now to purchase on the Atari VCS Store! Taken from the Discord announcement:

On the Atari VCS Store now: *Harpy's Curse: 7800*

You are a harpy - swift of wing and vicious in nature. Banished to a deadly labyrinth, you are tasked with defeating the four keepers of the maze - only then can you face the Great Sphinx, who exiled you here. The labyrinth contains legendary artifacts - feathers of legendary birds and beasts that might aid you. Power might be found here, but you genuinely wish for escape, and the only way out is through the Sphinx. 

• Explore a vast scrolling maze made up of over 500 screens! 
• Fly and fight your way to find new abilities and powers! 
• Five bosses to find hidden among the winding passages!

*Note*: the game does work with the Modern Controller, but the emulator has a feature that can lead to frustration.  Currently, the emulator has the L3 (the left joystick button) mapped as a Game Reset.  This makes it very easy to reset your game amid play.  This button mapping will get updated very soon.  For now, the Joystick is the best way to play the game, but you can play with the Modern Controller if you know the L3 issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Harpy's Curse 7800 is out now to purchase on the Atari VCS Store! Taken from the Discord announcement:

On the Atari VCS Store now: *Harpy's Curse: 7800*

You are a harpy - swift of wing and vicious in nature. Banished to a deadly labyrinth, you are tasked with defeating the four keepers of the maze - only then can you face the Great Sphinx, who exiled you here. The labyrinth contains legendary artifacts - feathers of legendary birds and beasts that might aid you. Power might be found here, but you genuinely wish for escape, and the only way out is through the Sphinx. 

• Explore a vast scrolling maze made up of over 500 screens! 
• Fly and fight your way to find new abilities and powers! 
• Five bosses to find hidden among the winding passages!

*Note*: the game does work with the Modern Controller, but the emulator has a feature that can lead to frustration.  Currently, the emulator has the L3 (the left joystick button) mapped as a Game Reset.  This makes it very easy to reset your game amid play.  This button mapping will get updated very soon.  For now, the Joystick is the best way to play the game, but you can play with the Modern Controller if you know the L3 issue.

sweet! Todd Furmanski has made some excellent atari 7800 games, glad to see 4 of them now on the VCS store! thanks for the news! I'll cover it on my channel too

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ballistik said:

sweet! Todd Furmanski has made some excellent atari 7800 games, glad to see 4 of them now on the VCS store! thanks for the news! I'll cover it on my channel too

Its great to see these games available on the Atari VCS store for sure! Loving them all so far, hopefully more 7800 games on the horizon 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Is it possible to use the d-pad? I really hate when only the analog stick works for movement in a 2D game...

• Like 1

I haven't bought it (yet) but I'm happy to see yet another homebrew release by AtariAge on the VCS. I hope they keep this up. It's a great way to take a look at those homebrews for less money and with less wait time than you have from the AtariAge store. I think they're appropriately priced since there's no cost of creating a cartridge, it's just a ROM purchase. I wish big video game companies would realize this and give discounts for digital purchases, rather than charging the same whether you buy the game physically or digitally.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I wish big video game companies would realize this and give discounts for digital purchases, rather than charging the same whether you buy the game physically or digitally.

I think I was told it's actually a tacit agreement with retailers, since digital distribution already hurts them a lot (and it works, since I tend to buy physical releases that cost less, at least on Amazon, than digital versions).

Edited by roots.genoa

20 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I think I was told it's actually a tacit agreement with retailers, since digital distribution already hurts them a lot (and it works, since I tend to buy physical releases that cost less, at least on Amazon, than digital versions).

Yeah because Sony, Nintendo and MS still rely on retailers like Gamestop to sell their hardware,  they didn't want to piss them off by undercutting them on game prices.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:21 PM, roots.genoa said:

(and it works, since I tend to buy physical releases that cost less, at least on Amazon, than digital versions).

I used to do that, but I've been moving away from physical with the newer hardware. Heck, I have the XBOX Series S and I love it. Sometimes, I just wait for stuff to go on sale before I buy it.