IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 18 Round 1 -  Jumpman Junior

Welcome to the first round of the 18th 5200 HSC season.  Jumpman Junior won the poll by one vote.  Play using the default setting.  CORRECTION: There is no default setting, so use speed 3.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

No current record exists for this game.  So some participant here will set one!

The ROM can be found here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/84154-xlxea8-to-5200-ports/?do=findComment&comment=1024816

Round ends Sunday, January 21st, 2024 @11pm EST

Standings:

RB5200 - 1,328,150 

Cafeman - 5,175

rubeon - 2,975

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

Play using the default setting. 

Ok, this game doesn't really have a default setting, the setting needs to be interred by the player, and that is the speed setting (when game asks for player speed), this speed should probably be defined by you since your the judge. I can recommend a setting of either 3 or 4, 

3 - is a pretty decent speed and difficulty, If you have some experience with the game, this is a good choice.

4 - is a little slower and easier setting If you don't really have much experience with the game. A good learning speed.

Thanks, RB5200, you're quite right.  (Been playing this game since having a disk for it for my Atari 65XE in the 80's.  But just copied the standard intro post without thinking it through last night.)  Let's go with speed 3.  

3 hours ago, Cafeman said:

can't get the game to start in Altirra.  It plays the music, shows several named screens, repeat.  Start / button press or pressing 1/2/3 etc don't do anything

Key board start, Press  the minus button first, then f2, then #3 button.

Try that should work.

Edited by RB5200

On 1/11/2024 at 10:01 PM, Cafeman said:

I tried it, nothing registers. Game won't start, oh well. 

I'm having the same problem in both Altirra and Kat5200. Nothing I do seems to work...and as you said, oh well...

Seems like I have this problem every time the 5200 HSC starts up. I can never get the controls to work. I think last time I wound up uninstalling everything and doing a fresh install of the programs before I could finally play.

16 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

I'm having the same problem in both Altirra and Kat5200. Nothing I do seems to work...and as you said, oh well...

Seems like I have this problem every time the 5200 HSC starts up. I can never get the controls to work. I think last time I wound up uninstalling everything and doing a fresh install of the programs before I could finally play.

I got it to work in Altirra by changing the firmware from OG 4-port 5200.ROM to the AltirrOS that Altirra defaults to. 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:49 PM, Cafeman said:

I got it to work in Altirra by changing the firmware from OG 4-port 5200.ROM to the AltirrOS that Altirra defaults to. 

Well, I still can't get the controls to work. So I don't know what I might be doing wrong. I've tried both playing on my keyboard and via a USB gamepad. I loaded a different game and it plays just fine. I guess Jumpman Jr. just doesn't like me.

16 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Well, I still can't get the controls to work. So I don't know what I might be doing wrong. I've tried both playing on my keyboard and via a USB gamepad. I loaded a different game and it plays just fine

That's really interesting, that the two of you, have had issues with this not wanting to work in altirra. Can you play the XE file of Jumpman junior, it is the same game. Wonder if @DamonicFurywill allow that, they are exactly the same game. 

1 hour ago, jblenkle said:

Well, I still can't get the controls to work. So I don't know what I might be doing wrong. I've tried both playing on my keyboard and via a USB gamepad. I loaded a different game and it plays just fine. I guess Jumpman Jr. just doesn't like me.

It's still tricky to pull off -  press the - key first (which I think is Asterisk).  Then press Start (F2).  Then select your speed by pressing 3.  I'm just spelling it out in case you didn't try this after changing the firmware/BIOS. 

19 hours ago, RB5200 said:

That's really interesting, that the two of you, have had issues with this not wanting to work in altirra. Can you play the XE file of Jumpman junior, it is the same game. Wonder if @DamonicFurywill allow that, they are exactly the same game. 

Oh, for sure, feel free to run the 400/800/XL/XE version if you like.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:36 PM, Cafeman said:

It's still tricky to pull off -  press the - key first (which I think is Asterisk).  Then press Start (F2).  Then select your speed by pressing 3.  I'm just spelling it out in case you didn't try this after changing the firmware/BIOS. 

Nope...nothing works. That's OK, I'll just sit this one out.