IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 18 Round 1 -  Jumpman Junior

45 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Nope...nothing works. That's OK, I'll just sit this one out.

What version of altirra might you be using, my altirra is V4.01, and everything works flawlessly, even with the 4 port bios rom.

I know there are newer versions of altirra, and am starting to wonder if there is something going on with possible newer versions of it. Maybe, just a thought.

I am using V3.9.    I noticed the BIOS thing with Altirra a while back, because 2 of my 5200 homebrews over-write the default Atari Fuji Rainbow splash screen with a Y2K-compliant one.  Altirra doesn't like that.  Altirra's developer explained it to me.  But I don't know what is going on with Jumpman Jr. 

503,125      new score

I'm very sad now, I was up to 650,something and thought I would use the dumbwaiter level as a pause, since the bullets don't come out, but by the time I got back, the game was over, apparently there must be a timer on it, that if it just sits for to long, it will default itself back to the title screen, so I lost some of my progress, but I did get this picture at 503,125, so at least I didn't loose everything.

IMG_20240119_021559508.jpg

This is the first I played this game on any platform.  Kind of reminds me of Miner 2049er.  I appreciate all the variety and strategies the developer added to the game, but I don't think I'll be memorizing patterns for those bullets and things.   5,175.  

HSC 5200 JMJ 5175.png

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

but I don't think I'll be memorizing patterns for those bullets and things

The only thing that you can memorize is the levels, the bullets are random and never the same, that's one thing I really love about the game.

Have you ever played the original game, Jumpman.

25 minutes ago, RB5200 said:

Have you ever played the original game, Jumpman

No, I never played either back in the day.   Heard of them of course. I didn't have a huge A8 games library, although I did have a few carts.  I used the consoles for my gaming but used my 1200XL mostly for learning programming, making games, and word processing.  Later on I found a guy who made me a bunch of disks with games on them, but none were Jumpman games. 

1,328,150    new score

This is five and a half hours of this. 54 people.

Pict. 1 - just before the roll

Pict. 2 - just after the roll

Pict. 3 - where I finally decided to quit, and kill of my people.

Pict. 4 - the final kill screen.

IMG_20240120_022641746.jpg

IMG_20240120_022646653.jpg

IMG_20240120_032810738.jpg

IMG_20240120_032906254.jpg

On 1/18/2024 at 8:36 PM, RB5200 said:

What version of altirra might you be using, my altirra is V4.01, and everything works flawlessly, even with the 4 port bios rom.

I know there are newer versions of altirra, and am starting to wonder if there is something going on with possible newer versions of it. Maybe, just a thought.

I just installed the latest version - 4.2. I previously had an earlier version installed, but I got the same result no matter what.

3 hours ago, jblenkle said:

just installed the latest version - 4.2. I previously had an earlier version installed, but I got the same result no matter what.

That's just very weird, don't know why this won't work for you, but at least you tried.

I've always heard a lot of good things about this game on the 8-bits, but I'll assume this conversion is crap. Couldn't make it past the second level without a profanity-laced bout of controller-abuse, so I'll stop here

at least I got this psychedelic screenshot out of it :-D  

image.thumb.jpeg.3730e13ad48d13a54d49d0bc6c832555.jpeg 

17 minutes ago, rubeon said:

but I'll assume this conversion is crap.

Nope, the conversion plays spot on, to how it's supposed too.

It is a quirky little game and definitely takes some getting used to. 

It goes to show how primitive games were when this came out.  It got good reviews BITD, but to me it has below average visuals and frustrating, crude gameplay - at least until you get several  hours of practice and familiarity.  People back then probably liked how much gameplay this offers as you use trial-and-error to learn how to beat each stage.   It  reminds me of Miner 2049'er a bit, but not nearly as refined or as well developed.  

I am probably a bit of an outlier for this group as I use OPEN EMU for the Apple Mac platform to run my 5200 games if I don't get around to playing games on my actual console. I had to use my emulator here as my 5200 flashcart died and I have no other physical cart set up to play Jumpman.  I ran into the same problems with Jumpman on OPEN EMU as some of those using Altrira - upon starting the game, it makes it to the game demo screen but none of the controls work (whether I run it from a keyboard controller or a steel series nimbus).  I tried a few other 5200 game roms and they seemed to work fine, so it must be some sort of emulator (BIOS?) issue for me as well.  See you next round.   

11 hours ago, Cafeman said:

It goes to show how primitive games were when this came out.  It got good reviews BITD, but to me it has below average visuals and frustrating, crude gameplay - at least until you get several  hours of practice and familiarity.  People back then probably liked how much gameplay this offers as you use trial-and-error to learn how to beat each stage.   It  reminds me of Miner 2049'er a bit, but not nearly as refined or as well developed.  

Also had to think of Bounty Bob while playing this -- I don't mind learning level patterns to make it through, as long as the game is fun.  Miner 2049er's levels are brutal until you figure them out, then they become relatively easy because the controls are so tight and you can start optimising your score as you improve. This game adds the challenge of mastering the controls, but I'm too much of a boomer to figure it out and wound up getting flustered

21 hours ago, RB5200 said:

Just out of curiosity, you have me down as a record breaker with a extra point, I didn't think this game had a record yet to break.

Oh, yeah... I guess we don't give out extra points for new records.  Geez, that sure was a herculean effort though!