IGNORED

"Great" Games That You Don't Like

On 2/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, dudeguy said:

GTA4

I've been testing games on Linux just to see what runs and what doesn't run with Steam Proton. I brought up GTA4 earlier to see how it runs. (really well) As I brought up a 2.5 year old save to test out the game, I was reflecting on how badly that game has aged. It was technically better than the GTA3 series, but that series gets a major boost for being the nostalgic classics that they are. For some of us, the jump into 3D graphics with GTA3 was a welcome change, but for others GTA3 was the first one they played. So, there's a lot of love for that game from both of those groups. Then Vice City and San Andreas both made a lot of improvements to the games, and added new maps and different interesting characters. GTA4 seemed like it had a lot of improvements, back in 2008. The game engine was definitely fresh and a lot of things were improved. However, the story and characters were where the game was a letdown. The mechanic for escaping a wanted level is also terrible. Every time I get a wanted level in that game after not playing for a while, I'm like: "Oh yeah, this crap." Plus, I think everyone's least favorite character from any GTA game is in that one: Roman Bellic. He's annoying and he calls at the worst times wanting to hang out. And, worst of all, the game had a massive map, but it was the last of the GTA games to have parts of the map locked, and you have to do a LOT of missions to unlock those areas. But, I think the worst thing for GTA4 was GTA5. GTA5 made a lot of improvements that really highlight the worst things about GTA4.

Though, on that note, I don't actually like GTA5 either. I found the main characters to be OK, though I only played as Franklin and Michael. I hate a lot of the NPCs you have to interact with and I find a lot of missions to be repetitive and boring. I'm really surprised that the story of that game is so highly praised, I didn't make it very far due to sheer boredom. I'd have been done with that game ages ago if not for one thing: GTA Online. GTA Online takes everything I like about GTA5 and axes everything I don't like for what I think is the best GTA experience. I have a custom character and I can do what I want. I can do whichever missions I like and skip the ones I don't. I can have lots of properties, make money from businesses and have loads of cars that I can customize. It's a game that finally lets me play GTA the way I want to and I love it. So, I doubt I'll even try GTA6 when it comes out, I'll probably just stick to GTA5 Online.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Switch.  I played it on funky mode which was supposed to be the easy difficulty.  But the game was still challenging.  I never really got into the Donkey Kong series.  I wanted to try it out though.  In the end, the game wasn't for me.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Switch.  I played it on funky mode which was supposed to be the easy difficulty.  But the game was still challenging.  I never really got into the Donkey Kong series.  I wanted to try it out though.  In the end, the game wasn't for me.

That game annoys me to no end. But then, I'm not a big fan of platformers, so I don't know why I thought it would be to my liking. It's probably because I love the original Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong JR so well. But, not that one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, Razzie.P said:

Forza Horizon 5 -- too much driving around doing fuck all, not enough actual racing, and the whole 'bro-dude-cool-kids" vibe was embarrassing. 

I find the 4th game superior. The map set in Britain and the seasons with different weather conditions really add to it. FH5 map felt so empty and void of fun. I uninstalled it and went back to 4 within a couple days. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 8:23 PM, Zeptari said:

I find the 4th game superior. The map set in Britain and the seasons with different weather conditions really add to it. FH5 map felt so empty and void of fun. I uninstalled it and went back to 4 within a couple days. 

That changing of seasons thing in FH4 really took it to the next level. It added so much fun and challenge to the game. Plus, that British scenery was gorgeous. I only tried FH5 on Game Pass, but I own 3 and 4. I never felt the need to pick up 5 after playing it.