IGNORED

Question About Atari 400 Mini (Adding Games)

scottinpa48

If it is anything like the A500 Mini then its a matter of loading additional games on a usb stick and running them from there. The A500 is a little more complicated because of the WHDLOAD requirement.

Hopefully it's just a matter of putting additional games on a usb and running them.

Edited by Ute
  • Like 1

In terms of file formats, right now we don't have a good idea what will be covered, so all these are just guesses.  But it's pretty safe to assume that any .ATR file will work, as well as .XEX files.

I'd expect the vast majority of .CAR/.ROM files to be supported, for example 5200, standard 8K, 16K and XEGS carts, but because the 8-bit computers had so many different bank selection schemes in ROM carts, there will probably be some carts that either aren't supported, or not properly recognized.  That's something that's easy enough to fix with firmware updates, but I wouldn't expect 100% compatibility at initial ship.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 2

I pre-ordered when I found that despite Atari800X no longer working on my current Mac I still had a load of .car and .atr files. Hopefully it will be straightforward, though I currently have my collection separated into “Cart” and “Disk” folders.

I’m sure anything depending upon analogue controls will be pants, unless HID-compliant joypads work, but I’m not too bothered. I mainly used the keyboard on my 800XL and can always fall back on a USB keyboard if need be 😉👍

• Like 1

If you look at the manual for the TheC64 mini, it has support for the following.

*.d64 (disk)
*.g64 (disk)
*.d81 (disk)
*.d82 (disk)
*.crt (cartridge)
*.tap (tape)
*.t64 (tape)
*.prg (program)
*.p00 (program-compressed)

The emulator is Vice. The list corresponds with the emulator's support.

So, whatever emulator is used by The400 mini should provide something similar.

As said, ATR (disk) & XEX (program) files would be a bare minimum; but, most

Atari emulators also support CAS (tape) & CAR (cartridge), as well as some other 

variations on the four listed: ROM (cartridge-raw), ATX (disk-protected), etc.

There are other file types, but they're all just variations on types listed here. I expect

most Atari emulator file types to be supported, but certainly the first four listed

here -- if TheC64 mini is any indication.

[Note: *.a52 should be the 5200 file type supported.]

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:
1 hour ago, Rockymin said:

Will it play Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 files?  It would be neat to have an all-in-one Atari machine.

Nope, if you want 2600/7800 games you're looking at the Atari 2600+.

Dang - I guess that means no ST, Lynx, or Jaguar either. 🤪

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

Nope, if you want 2600/7800 games you're looking at the Atari 2600+.

But the 2600+ doesn't play 5200 and 8 bit files, right?  It seems like the VCS is the only one that can be made into an all-in-one Atari machine.  I have one on the way, and it will be here this weekend.

3 hours ago, Rockymin said:

But the 2600+ doesn't play 5200 and 8 bit files, right?  It seems like the VCS is the only one that can be made into an all-in-one Atari machine.  I have one on the way, and it will be here this weekend.

VCS is perfect for an all-in-one Atari machine.  I've been using mine for that purpose for 2 years now.   I don't understand why more people don't realize that.  Instead they claim it's overpriced, but they'll turn around spend hundreds on multiple narrow-focused systems like 2600+, Gamestation Pros, 400minis and then want those systems to do more. :)

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zzip said:

VCS is perfect for an all-in-one Atari machine.  I've been using mine for that purpose for 2 years now.   I don't understand why more people don't realize that.  Instead they claim it's overpriced, but they'll turn around spend hundreds on multiple narrow-focused systems like 2600+, Gamestation Pros, 400minis and then want those systems to do more. :)

Yeah, I can't wait to get it.  Another thing I like is that the 2600 Joystick is also a paddle/spinner controller.  Have you tried the paddle with other emulators like MAME?  Does it work well?

4 hours ago, Rockymin said:

Yes, that was my point - there isn't an "official" all-in-one emulation machine from Atari.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Yes, that was my point - there isn't an "official" all-in-one emulation machine from Atari.  

I know there's not an "official" one, but I had just wondered if any of the "minis" could be hacked to be one.  I did realize that the VCS would be the best one for the job and ordered one.

I know there's not an "official" one, but I had just wondered if any of the "minis" could be hacked to be one.  I did realize that the VCS would be the best one for the job and ordered one.

Probably, but Jaguar emulation is probably beyond the processing capability of the "mini" units.  (We are talking all-in-one, here)

15 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Probably, but Jaguar emulation is probably beyond the processing capability of the "mini" units.  (We are talking all-in-one, here)

I'm not really interested in Jaguar or Lynx.  I always forget that those were Atari machines. Just up to the 7800, maybe some ST stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

I'm not really interested in Jaguar or Lynx.  I always forget that those were Atari machines. Just up to the 7800, maybe some ST stuff.

Depending upon whether the system supports community updates, we may see homebrew-style, unofficial custom firmware developed for it, that supports Atari 2600 and 7800 games.

• Like 1

And this may be the reason why Atari doesn't offer an all-in-one unit.  Few people are interested in every one of Atari's platforms.

• Like 1

Looking over my rom collection there’s like a half-dozen file extensions and no rhyme or reason I can see to which are cart (other than the obvious .car) or disk images. Hopefully this machine will recognise the lot, but I can tell a lot of testing will be happening! My USB key is ready, but 8gb stick for 3MB worth of files is slightly galling 😅