IGNORED

Question About Atari 400 Mini (Adding Games)

scottinpa48

10 hours ago, Gory-Glory said:

Rockymin >>> Okey so there is also an older Pac-Man like your avatar. I do not know why there are only three ghost in the cover.

s-l600-1.jpg.4b1761eb1e4980d288e7495f1f3fc357.jpg

Yeah, that's it.  I remember seeing the 400 and 800 in a store when they first came out and saw that box too.  I don't know why, but I loved that box art.  Pacman looked so weird, lol.  I had always wanted an Atari computer back then, but they were so expensive compared to the VCS that I had.  To an 11-12 year old kid, those "white Ataris" as I thought of them, may as well cost a million dollars, haha.

Rovkymin >>> Okey so you wanted a 400/800 but hot a VCS. Yes we tought that things cost millions back in the 80s

I like more cover of Pac-Man with the maze and ghosts.

I had only NES and old computers back in the 80s

Edited by Gory-Glory

On 1/26/2024 at 11:32 AM, Sean_1970 said:

That’s reassuring - my eventual query after getting it and testing would be whether the file types were truly different or in the event something wasn’t recognized if you could just change a file extension.

Looks like both computer cart and 5200 images both use .car - am I right in thinking aside from the different form factor the actual game code could run on both 8-bit computers and the 5200? I know some of the ROMs I have claim to be 5200 games, but have .atr extensions, so it’s quite a grab-bag 😂

I'd always wished a more insightful naming convention had been used for ATRs like ATR1 ATR2 ATR3 ATR4 etc. So we could know by the extension if it was 800 or 800XL OSA OSB or 130XE and maybe if basic was required or not. The 8 bit may have been limited to three character extensions but all of the emulator platforms do not

16 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

I'd always wished a more insightful naming convention had been used for ATRs like ATR1 ATR2 ATR3 ATR4 etc. So we could know by the extension if it was 800 or 800XL OSA OSB or 130XE and maybe if basic was required or not. The 8 bit may have been limited to three character extensions but all of the emulator platforms do not

Problem is there aren't many images that are exclusive to one configuration.  Lots of games run on XL/XE but not the 48K models.   I think a disk format with embedded metadata would work better.  

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still wondering about the original question, this still is from Perifractic/RetroRecipes' recent video on the device. I assume this is "the official word", since he was sent a pre-release unit.

image.thumb.png.bb9242734bf59f5d81e35e2021ab23b4.png

So covering most bases, including m3u playlists for multi-disk games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow related:

THE400 does not like more than 255 files per folder.

When you copy a collection of games on the USB stick, it is very easy to face the problem.

A solution - the NVC tool, which automagically creates folders, when copying the files.

You can specify a maximum number of files per folder and it simply does the job :)

https://github.com/TheMontezuma/NVC

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Torgod13 said:

Any one else having issues with Koronis Rift and Eidolon? ...  Runs great on my original hardware.

I have Koronis Rift (from a 130XE .XEX) running on the 400 Mini.

I have not found any version of The Eidolon that will run on the 400 Mini, despite having several that work fine in Atari800MacX and  Altirra.

Hi

I have not understand it correct when I have read on diffent forums, can The 400 Mini play Atari 520 and 1040 ST/STE games !?

Is there a homepage like whdownload to Amiga where you can easy find Atarigames.

Edited by Gory-Glory

13 minutes ago, Gory-Glory said:

can The 400 Mini play Atari 520 and 1040 ST/STE games !?

No.

Someone may be able to hack it to, at some point, but as a shipping product, no.

It supports Atari 400/800/XL/XE and 5200.

On 4/8/2024 at 1:29 AM, Torq said:

I have Koronis Rift (from a 130XE .XEX) running on the 400 Mini.

I have not found any version of The Eidolon that will run on the 400 Mini, despite having several that work fine in Atari800MacX and  Altirra.

This works

Eidolon_MegaCart.car

5 hours ago, Gory-Glory said:

Hi

I have not understand it correct when I have read on diffent forums, can The 400 Mini play Atari 520 and 1040 ST/STE games !?

Is there a homepage like whdownload to Amiga where you can easy find Atarigames.

I believe it's been cracked now so you can play other systems, but I have not gone down that road 

For games, check out atarimania and look for some excellent links in the stickied noobs post in the main Atari 8bit forum

7 minutes ago, Gory-Glory said:

Okey, I will first try to be a member of Atarimania 😉

You do not have to be a member. Everyone can access the website and download software. No account is needed.