IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

I’ve been concentrating on strictly original 2600 NTSC carts. I do have one PAL cart, Klax, works fine.

Out of 128 current carts, only a few are not working:

Pitfall II (I know…)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel’s Castle [white Coleco] (jumbled screen/sound)

Zaxxon [white Coleco] (black screen, buzz sound)

I’ve seen some said Zaxxon was working…wonder if it is worth trying to get another cart, or could this be something related to the random white Coleco cart issue that may have a fix in the future?)

4 minutes ago, Vexorx said:

I’ve been concentrating on strictly original 2600 NTSC carts. I do have one PAL cart, Klax, works fine.

Out of 128 current carts, only a few are not working:

Pitfall II (I know…)

I’ve seen some said Zaxxon was working…wonder if it is worth trying to get another cart, or could this be something related to the random white Coleco cart issue that may have a fix in the future?)

My Zaxxon does the same, the experimental firmware confirms that it's the dumper that is currently at fault, it's reporting the wrong size. Should be fixed in time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vexorx said:

Exact same issue with those two for me. 

Smurf looks like the dumper is only downloading 4k instead of 8k according to what I’m seeing over in the experimental FW thread. I suspect Zaxxon is doing the same but won’t know for sure unless I install the experimental FW on one of my systems. 

• Thanks 1

I was able to narrow down what caused Juno First to stop working for me, and it looks like it's related to whatever changes were made to the dumper firmware on v1.1.0.9.  The game runs just fine on Rev 2 firmware with the v1.1.0.4 dumper.

Edit: That said, I'd still argue in favor of keeping v1.1.0.9.

Edited by KainXavier
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I was able to narrow down what caused Juno First to stop working for me, and it looks like it's related to whatever changes were made to the dumper firmware on v1.1.0.9.  The game runs just fine on Rev 2 firmware with the v1.1.0.4 dumper.

Edit: That said, I'd still argue in favor of keeping v1.1.0.9.

My Juno First cart was dumped right only once on V1.0 and so many have issues with theirs it is finicky cart #1, pushing it to the far left helped me once, maybe I try an old dumper again.

None of these finicky carts are dirty, I guess. I mean it is a quite new homebrew and makes more trouble than any 40 year old cart.

Some got it running with the latest dumper, pushing it left.

I hope the dumper could maybe try to catch 32k when detects Juno first.

I always thought my cart has got just physical issues but on the latest dumper good working carts became finicky for others.

That gives me hope, my finicky cart might get dumped some day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

My Juno First cart was dumped right only once on V1.0 and so many have issues with theirs it is finicky cart #1, pushing it to the far left helped me once, maybe I try an old dumper again.

None of these finicky carts are dirty, I guess. I mean it is a quite new homebrew and makes more trouble than any 40 year old cart.

Some got it running with the latest dumper, pushing it left.

I hope the dumper could maybe try to catch 32k when detects Juno first.

I always thought my cart has got just physical issues but on the latest dumper good working carts became finicky for others.

That gives me hope, my finicky cart might get dumped some day.

I think it will.  A cart being "finicky" just means we don't understand why it's failing yet.  It could be something simple like testing for one cartridge type too early or something more insidious like slight timing differences between hardware revisions.  (I'm sure Al has had to source his cartridge parts from different vendors over the years too.)  Regardless, it's simply a lack of information and/or a lack of access to the problematic cartridges.  I think including debug text in future beta firmware releases is a good idea.  The more useful information we can provide to the people working to fix the issues, the better! :)

Edit: I think this also goes to show just how important game preservation is.  Embracer, Plaion's parent company, has an entire archive of 2600 games, but there are clearly cartridge variants they didn't know existed.  And the community at large didn't either, until we discovered that some worked on the 2600+ and others didn't.  I don't envy the task of trying to support everything but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing either.

Edited by KainXavier
I had to gush a bit about the 2600+ and game preservation...
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:14 PM, KainXavier said:

Edit: I think this also goes to show just how important game preservation is.  Embracer, Plaion's parent company, has an entire archive of 2600 games, but there are clearly cartridge variants they didn't know existed.  And the community at large didn't either, until we discovered that some worked on the 2600+ and others didn't.  I don't envy the task of trying to support everything but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing either.

Not sure I agree here - I haven't seen a variant mentioned here yet for which the ROM isn't already dumped, which by definition means they are known to exist.

Frogger Parker Bros (2600) is still having issues with the frog disappearing, in both video modes, while on land or at sea. Anyone else having this issue? M-Network Armour Ambush, Adventures of Tron seem to work good.

Edited by itsphillip

On 2/18/2024 at 8:49 PM, JetmanUK said:

My Zaxxon does the same, the experimental firmware confirms that it's the dumper that is currently at fault, it's reporting the wrong size. Should be fixed in time. 

I think the dumper should be one of the top priorities in the next update...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsphillip said:

Frogger Parker Bros (2600) is still having issues with the frog disappearing, in both video modes, while on land or at sea. Anyone else having this issue? M-Network Armour Ambush, Adventures of Tron seem to work good.

I just noticed Frogger a couple days ago…though frog didn’t disappear, the game went to black screen and reset when I was 3/4 of the way to the top from the 1st level. Tried again and happened again.

1 hour ago, itsphillip said:

10 minutes ago, Vexorx said:

I just noticed Frogger a couple days ago…though frog didn’t disappear, the game went to black screen and reset when I was 3/4 of the way to the top from the 1st level. Tried again and happened again.

What firmware version did you use to test these on?

Thanks,

Chris.

1 hour ago, raz0red said:

What firmware version did you use to test these on?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris, sorry…the one for this thread…1.1 rev.2. I’ll clean it up a bit again and see if I can replicate the issue before the weekend.

4 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

Not sure I agree here - I haven't seen a variant mentioned here yet for which the ROM isn't already dumped, which by definition means they are known to exist.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread specifically, but chad5200 and others discovered that the white Coleco cartridges have multiple hardware variations for certain games.  You can read about it here.  That said, I also believe that more variations exist as it would explain some of the inconsistent behavior we're seeing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread specifically, but chad5200 and others discovered that the white Coleco cartridges have multiple hardware variations for certain games.  You can read about it here.  That said, I also believe that more variations exist as it would explain some of the inconsistent behavior we're seeing.

Speaking only for myself, I've seen LOTS of different ROM variations for a lot of cartridges, so when I read Rodney's post, I assumed that was exactly what he was talking about.

20 hours ago, itsphillip said:

I’m using the current dumper and debug v1 firmware and I am not having this problem. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Speaking only for myself, I've seen LOTS of different ROM variations for a lot of cartridges, so when I read Rodney's post, I assumed that was exactly what he was talking about.

Gotcha.  I'm not familiar with Rodney's work so no disrespect was intended.  I wasn't sure if he was aware of the Coleco revisions so that's why I linked to them.

16 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

People like to test the problem games but I hope people are testing simpler stuff too, in case the revisions break something that used to work.

I don't always get to it right away, but I've been re-testing my entire collection with each firmware and dumper revision.  The only ones I have not tested extensively are dumper v1.1.0.4 and r1 of the experimental firmware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I don't always get to it right away, but I've been re-testing my entire collection with each firmware and dumper revision.  The only ones I have not tested extensively are dumper v1.1.0.4 and r1 of the experimental firmware.

Oh that's fantastic!

I don't have easy access to a PC to run the updates. So I'm waiting until the updates are out of beta. But thank you very much for your efforts in testing.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:21 PM, Laladien said:

I’m using the current dumper and debug v1 firmware and I am not having this problem. 

interesting, using the following files:

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe

update-012324.img

DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip

RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip

Those are the correct ones, right?

Thanks!