Jump to content
IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV2


Ben from Plaion

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Many thanks for all the feedback on the Christmas update.

 

We have a revision of the firmware as well as a repost of the latest dumper software attached to this post. 

 

We've made the decision to roll back to a 60hz only output for the time being so that the missing sprites issue doesnt effect PAL cart owners. Now that the 7800 emulation and cart compatibility is in a good place, attention now focuses on 2600 emulation. We have the intention of resolving the 50 60hz issue and want to re-introduce it as well as rectifying high CPU usage that maybe affecting some 2600 games as noted in the original 1.1 beta update thread. Thanks especially to @raz0red and @RevEng for all the fantastic support. Another technical whizz has offered support on 2600 homebrew compatibility and we hope to make further advancements there in a future update.

 

2600 fixes

 

  • Donkey Kong Jr - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Smurfs Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Masters of the Universe - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Burgertime - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Bump n' Jump - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Robot Tank (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)

 

I'm interested if owners of Coleco white cart rev 3 and M-Network games not listed above can confirm cartridge compatibility with this latest build.

 

7800 fixes

 

  • A.R.T.I. (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Asteroids Deluxe (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode 
  • Asteroids Deluxe (Escape sequence for hidden game, both buttons + right for 3 seconds, immediately on load)
  • Crazy Brix (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Danger Zone (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Diagnostic Test Cartridge (Now loads correctly)
  • Double Dragon (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • E.X.O. (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9, Pokey sound fixed)
  • Karateka (PAL) (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Keystone Koppers (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Klax (may load now, unverified)
  • Millie & Molly (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Moon Cresta (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pac-Man Collection (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pole Position II (Course select screen fix)
  • Popeye (Fixed freeze on game start, 1.3c version)
  • Possible Mission (may load now, Dumper 1.1.0.9, unverified)
  • Rampage (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Scramble (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Dual (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Invaders (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)
  • Xevious (PAL) (Palette update, less brown)

 

Instructions for updating remain the same as the Christmas update

 

 

Many thanks and I hope to further bring more updates to optimise the experience of the Atari 2600+

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe update-012324.img

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)

Worth noting that along with the 7800 Tower Toppler color artifacting composite smoothing being fixed... the same was also fixed in 7800 Jinx.  :)

 

(Jinx only uses color artifacting in the menus so it was not as big of a deal as Tower Toppler.  But either way, it's fixed!)

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chad5200 said:

Worth noting that along with the 7800 Tower Toppler color artifacting composite smoothing being fixed... the same was also fixed in 7800 Jinx.  :)

 

(Jinx only uses color artifacting in the menus so it was not as big of a deal as Tower Toppler.  But either way, it's fixed!)

 

Isnt it fabulous that these advancements are being made, of course I kick myself and think this should of all been done in 1.0, but still I'm so excited and relieved to see so many fixes in such a short amount of time with 7800 games. Roll on doing the same for 2600 games.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robot Tank (works, yay)

 

For M-Network not listed (all working):

 

Adventures of Tron
Air Raiders
Armor Ambush
Astroblast (loads, no control)
Dark Cavern
Frogs and Flies
International Soccer
Lock N Chase
Space Attack
Super Challenge Baseball
Super Challenge Football
Kool Aid Man

 

NTSC white shell Time Pilot not working:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, remowilliams said:

Robot Tank (works, yay)

 

For M-Network not listed:

 

Adventures of Tron
Air Raiders
Armor Ambush
Astroblast (loads, no control)
Dark Cavern
Frogs and Flies
International Soccer
Lock N Chase
Space Attack
Super Challenge Baseball
Super Challenge Football
Kool Aid Man

 

NTSC white shell Time Pilot not working:

 

 

Ok, i've seen a couple of reports of Time Pilot issues. I need to buy a cart and send it to the developer or if anyone has a cart to loan it would speed up the process.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all,

 

Many thanks for all the feedback on the Christmas update.

 

We have a revision of the firmware as well as a repost of the latest dumper software attached to this post. 

 

We've made the decision to roll back to a 60hz only output for the time being so that the missing sprites issue doesnt effect PAL cart owners. Now that the 7800 emulation and cart compatibility is in a good place, attention now focuses on 2600 emulation. We have the intention of resolving the 50 60hz issue and want to re-introduce it as well as rectifying high CPU usage that maybe affecting some 2600 games as noted in the original 1.1 beta update thread. Thanks especially to @raz0red and @RevEng for all the fantastic support. Another technical whizz has offered support on 2600 homebrew compatibility and we hope to make further advancements there in a future update.

 

2600 fixes

 

  • Donkey Kong Jr - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Smurfs Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Masters of the Universe - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Burgertime - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Bump n' Jump - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Robot Tank (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)

 

I'm interested if owners of Coleco white cart rev 3 and M-Network games not listed above can confirm cartridge compatibility with this latest build.

 

7800 fixes

 

  • A.R.T.I. (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Asteroids Deluxe (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode 
  • Asteroids Deluxe (Escape sequence for hidden game, both buttons + right for 3 seconds, immediately on load)
  • Crazy Brix (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Danger Zone (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Diagnostic Test Cartridge (Now loads correctly)
  • Double Dragon (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • E.X.O. (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9, Pokey sound fixed)
  • Karateka (PAL) (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Keystone Koppers (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Klax (may load now, unverified)
  • Millie & Molly (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Moon Cresta (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pac-Man Collection (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pole Position II (Course select screen fix)
  • Popeye (Fixed freeze on game start, 1.3c version)
  • Possible Mission (may load now, Dumper 1.1.0.9, unverified)
  • Rampage (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Scramble (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Dual (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Invaders (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)
  • Xevious (PAL) (Palette update, less brown)

 

Instructions for updating remain the same as the Christmas update

 

 

Many thanks and I hope to further bring more updates to optimise the experience of the Atari 2600+

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe 5.26 MB · 15 downloads update-012324.img 68.85 MB · 14 downloads

Thanks. I will test this with all my PAL carts and leave feedback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2600 NTSC Coleco Smurf Rescue In Gargamel’s Castle (white shell) still is not working for me. I’ve mentioned it before but just wanted to reiterate in this thread. Curious to know if anyone else is having the same issue.

 

here is how it is loading:

 

 

Works great on classic 2600.

Edited by chad5200
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

2600 NTSC Coleco Smurf Rescue In Gargamel’s Castle (white shell) still is not working for me. I’ve mentioned it before but just wanted to reiterate in this thread. Curious to know if anyone else is having the same issue.

 

here is how it is loading:

 

 

IMG_2904.mov 23.94 MB · 0 downloads  

 

This is frustrating to see as I request proof from the developer for carts that have been fixed and he sent me this smurfs video, cart provided by @Lord Thag

 

To be honest i'd kindly request a loan of your cart to get to see for ourselves

Edited by Ben from Plaion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

Tower Toppler looks great, and the stage select glitch on Pole Position 2 is fixed.

 

Cheers guys!

Onwards and upwards my man. 

 

@Dr Karnov has been here from the start. You should all know he has been relentlessly taking builds from me and testing them to provide feedback to improve the 2600+. 

 

Independantly hes a major contributor the 2600 cart collecting thread, which is a fantastic respite to "my cart doesnt work" threads, I love taking a break from problems and seeing his and everyone elses ebay pick ups.

 

Raise a glass and say cheers to @Dr Karnov

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all,

 

Many thanks for all the feedback on the Christmas update.

 

We have a revision of the firmware as well as a repost of the latest dumper software attached to this post. 

 

We've made the decision to roll back to a 60hz only output for the time being so that the missing sprites issue doesnt effect PAL cart owners. Now that the 7800 emulation and cart compatibility is in a good place, attention now focuses on 2600 emulation. We have the intention of resolving the 50 60hz issue and want to re-introduce it as well as rectifying high CPU usage that maybe affecting some 2600 games as noted in the original 1.1 beta update thread. Thanks especially to @raz0red and @RevEng for all the fantastic support. Another technical whizz has offered support on 2600 homebrew compatibility and we hope to make further advancements there in a future update.

 

2600 fixes

 

  • Donkey Kong Jr - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Smurfs Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Masters of the Universe - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Burgertime - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Bump n' Jump - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Robot Tank (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)

 

I'm interested if owners of Coleco white cart rev 3 and M-Network games not listed above can confirm cartridge compatibility with this latest build.

 

7800 fixes

 

  • A.R.T.I. (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Asteroids Deluxe (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode 
  • Asteroids Deluxe (Escape sequence for hidden game, both buttons + right for 3 seconds, immediately on load)
  • Crazy Brix (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Danger Zone (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Diagnostic Test Cartridge (Now loads correctly)
  • Double Dragon (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • E.X.O. (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9, Pokey sound fixed)
  • Karateka (PAL) (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Keystone Koppers (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Klax (may load now, unverified)
  • Millie & Molly (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Moon Cresta (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pac-Man Collection (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pole Position II (Course select screen fix)
  • Popeye (Fixed freeze on game start, 1.3c version)
  • Possible Mission (may load now, Dumper 1.1.0.9, unverified)
  • Rampage (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Scramble (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Dual (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Invaders (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)
  • Xevious (PAL) (Palette update, less brown)

 

Instructions for updating remain the same as the Christmas update

 

 

Many thanks and I hope to further bring more updates to optimise the experience of the Atari 2600+

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe 5.26 MB · 27 downloads update-012324.img 68.85 MB · 23 downloads

Same RKDevTool Release v2.74? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My list of 7800 issues is pretty small after this first round, love the progress.

 

1 Alternate CX-40 Controls Example - pulling back/down in Asteroid games
2 Non-Joystick Controls Paddles/Driving/Keyboard/Trackball/Light Gun
3 Attack of the Petscii Robots Loads with incomplete graphics
4 Crossbow Loads with incomplete graphics
5 Missing in Action Unplayable after completing a level
6 Pac-Man Collection Loads with incomplete graphics
7 Rikki & Vikki Doesn't load
8 The Bob Decresenzo Collection Doesn't load
9 Worm! Doesn't load

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

My list of 7800 issues is pretty small after this first round, love the progress.

 

 

1 Alternate CX-40 Controls Example - pulling back/down in Asteroid games
2 Non-Joystick Controls Paddles/Driving/Keyboard/Trackball/Light Gun
3 Attack of the Petscii Robots Loads with incomplete graphics
4 Crossbow Loads with incomplete graphics
5 Missing in Action Unplayable after completing a level
6 Pac-Man Collection Loads with incomplete graphics
7 Rikki & Vikki Doesn't load
8 The Bob Decresenzo Collection Doesn't load
9 Worm! Doesn't load

 

Wait till Bob sees that report

 

@PacManPlus

 

Hes going to have words with me!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ran my 2600 problem carts with the new files and there were a number that get past the Loading Game Failed loop now.  They still don't work, but at least make it to a scrambled screen of some sort.

 

I also have occasional heat issues on certain games.  I was playing Kung Fu Master for the HSC and left it in the plus while I went to do something else.  I came back after 2 hours and the game had failed and was on a blank screen.  I pulled the cart out and put my finger on the board, which was hot and also touched the plus's cart port and it was hot also.

 

1 Keyboard Controller Games At least 18 games
2 Driving Controller Games At least 5 games
3 Trackball Mode Games At least 11 games
4 Light Gun Games At least 7 games
5 Supercharger Games At least 14 games
6 Rom Carts (A26 Maxicart, Krokodile, Cuttle Cart)  
7 Misc Peripherals (AtariVox, Quadtari, Booster Grip)  
8 2600 Signal Tracing Cart Might be bad cart, doesn't work on original 2600
9 Aardvark Game freezes when button pressed to start
10 Asteroids Deluxe Might be bad cart, doesn't work on original 2600
11 Boulder Dash Loads to scrambled screen or noise
12 Brik Loads, but accepts no inputs
13 Chetiry Loading Game Failed
14 Crack'ed (earlier version) Blank screen on attempted load
15 Dare Devil Loads to scrambled screen and noise
16 Deepstone Catacomb Loads to scrambled screen and noise
17 Draconian Loads to pulsing line screen
18 Dragon Chase Loads to blank buzzing screen
19 Dragon’s Descent Game won't advance past starting screen
20 Elevator Action Loads to scrambled screen and noise
21 End Loading Game Failed
22 Epic Adventure Blank screen on attempted load
23 Escape from the Castle Loading Game Failed
24 Evil Magician II Loads to scrambled screen and noise
25 Fall Down Player 2 has no control
26 Funky Fish Loading Game Failed
27 Galagon Blank screen on attempted load
28 Gingerbread Man Loading Game Failed
29 Gorf Arcade Loads to pulsing line screen
30 Grizzards Loads to blank screen with buzzing sound
31 James Bond 007 Blank screen on attempted load
32 Journey Escape Music incorrect during gameplay
33 Jungle Fever Might be bad cart, doesn't work on original 2600
34 Lady Bug Arcade Loads to pulsing line screen
35 Load Runner Loads to pulsing line screen
36 Looping Blank screen on attempted load
37 Mappy Loads to pulsing line screen
38 Megaboy Loads to blank buzzing screen
39 Millipede Track Ball Edition Loads to scrambled screen and noise
40 Missile Command CE Loading Game Failed
41 Omega Race Loads, but fire button always on and booster grip not working
42 Panic! Rooms Loading Game Failed
43 Pitfall II Loads to blank buzzing screen
44 Pleiades Loading Game Failed
45 Qyx Loads to pulsing line screen
46 Robotwar Loads to pulsing line screen
47 RubyQ Loads to pulsing line screen
48 Scramble (Champ Games) Loading Game Failed
49 Seaweed Assault Loading Game Failed, Older version works
50 Smurfs Save the Day Blank screen on attempted load
51 Space Cactus Canyon Loading Game Failed
52 Space Rocks Loading Game Failed
53 Spike’s Peak Loads but Joystick not active
54 Star Castle Arcade Loads to blank buzzing screen
55 Stay Frosty 2 Blank screen on attempted load
56 Stella's Stocking Blank screen on attempted load
57 Stratovox Loading Game Failed
58 Super Cobra Arcade Loads to pulsing line screen
59 The Byte before Christmas Loading Game Failed
60 The Gizzle Wap and the Strange Red Tree Loading Game Failed
61 The Music Machine Loads but sound messed up
62 The Pursuit of the Pink Panther Loading Game Failed
63 Thrust+, SE, DC, Platinum All versions seem to have controller issues
64 Toyshop Trouble Loading Game Failed
65 Turbo (Coleco) Doesn't load properly, scrolling screen
66 Turbo Arcade Loads to pulsing line screen
67 Tyre Trax Loading Game Failed
68 Unholy Loading Game Failed
69 Venture Reloaded Loads to high pitched sound and won't advance
70 Wizard of Wor (Champ Games) Loads to pulsing line screen
71 X3V0lux Loads, but accepts no inputs
72 Yars' Return Only left side of playfield works
73 Zippy the Porcupine Blank screen on attempted load
74 Zoltrix Loading Game Failed
75 Zoo Keeper Loads to pulsing line screen

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

@Atari_Warlord what is the nature of the missing graphics on your Crossbow cart?

The screen is mostly dark and the graphics are very blocky.

 

I've worked with Chris on it and it appears one of the banks is not loading.  We don't know if it is a cart issue, power issue, or dumper issue at the moment.  The cart works perfectly in my 7800.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm interested if owners of Coleco white cart rev 3 and M-Network games not listed above can confirm cartridge compatibility with this latest build.

I do not know how to determine the version, but these are my white cartridge Colecos:

 

Zaxxon        No video, buzzing.
Venture        Works
Time Pilot    Duplicated gfx, some reversed, sound, nothing displayed in game area
Mr. Do!        Works
Mouse Trap    Works
Carnival    Works

 

Pitfall II still does not work.  It seems to load, but refuses to run.  I know this is a good cart, tested on my 7800.

 

Atari Age Froggie (Luedtke) does not have any sound.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My NTSC Crossbow is very much working.

 

There are two roms in a Crossbow cart, a small one that holds the data for the lowest bank at 4000, and a larger one that holds the data for the rest of the game. For some reason the 2600+ units belonging to @remowilliams and @Atari_Warlord aren't reading valid data from that small rom.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I do not know how to determine the version, but these are my white cartridge Colecos:

 

Zaxxon        No video, buzzing.
Venture        Works
Time Pilot    Duplicated gfx, some reversed, sound, nothing displayed in game area
Mr. Do!        Works
Mouse Trap    Works
Carnival    Works

 

Pitfall II still does not work.  It seems to load, but refuses to run.  I know this is a good cart, tested on my 7800.

 

Atari Age Froggie (Luedtke) does not have any sound.

Froggie is a pending order... let it pend until fixed😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...