IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

11 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

NTSC Crossbow very much not working:

Yeah, we have looked at this. It isn’t a different cart variation, but some cartridges (or consoles) are able to dump correctly, others do not. In one case it was the 16k rom that would not dump correctly (The other 128k one was dumping fine).

Later tonight, I will send you a debug build with which you can gather diagnostics. If the two issues appear similar we may be able to come up with some solution. 

Thanks

UPDATE: @RevEng beat me to it. 🙂

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 3

I just went through my homebrew library with the following results.  I have some of the "Trak Ball" editions of games, which I have not tested, yet.  (Apologies for the weird formatting... the Invision editor is a harsh mistress.)

Atari 7800:

7800 Game Results
Baby Pac-Man No video
Rikki & Vikki Loading Game Failed
Scramble 7800 Works

Atari 2600:

Game Results
Alien Greed 6 Works
Bee Ball Works
Assembloids 2600 Works
Draconian Scrolling rainbow
Stay Frosty 2 No video, or scrambled video with noise (no game play)
Galagon Scrolling rainbow
Juno First Works
Ketchup Kaboom! Works
MAPPY Scrolling rainbow
Scramble Loading Game Failed
Sheep it Up! Works
ultraSCSIcide

Works

Scrolling Rainbow 2600+.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Robot Tank (works, yay)

For M-Network not listed (all working):

Adventures of Tron
Air Raiders
Armor Ambush
Astroblast (loads, no control)
Dark Cavern
Frogs and Flies
International Soccer
Lock N Chase
Space Attack
Super Challenge Baseball
Super Challenge Football
Kool Aid Man

NTSC white shell Time Pilot not working:

Astroblast works with paddle controller. Thomas Jentzsch pointed out to me it’s suppose to work with either joystick or Paddles but it only works with paddles at this time.

• Like 3

Here are the results of my M-Network games:

Frogs and Flies Works
Adventures of Tron Works
Armor Ambush Works
Astroblast Loads up, but does not seem to play
Burger Time Loads up, but does not seem to play Works
Dark Cavern Works
International Soccer Works
Kool-Aid Man Scrambled graphics, does not play
Lock 'n' Chase Works
Masters of the Universe
The Power of He-Man
Works
Space Attack Works
Star Strike Works
Super Challenge Baseball Loads up, but I have no idea how to work it
Super Challenge Football Loads up, but I have no idea how to work it
Tron Deadly Discs Works

Really, people here have far more than I have in my library, but I am willing to test any of these.

20240124_183031.thumb.JPG.3b54883763d1a4f272f48312036325ed.JPG20240124_183016.thumb.JPG.255636abc818087642216bafbce6c66e.JPG20240124_182954.thumb.JPG.87aa7e92b69a2a5050a5fe555d9b4007.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Frogs and Flies Works
Adventures of Tron Works
Armor Ambush Works
Burger Time Loads up, but does not seem to play
Dark Cavern Works
International Soccer Works
Kool-Aid Man Scrambled graphics, does not play
Lock 'n' Chase Works
Masters of the Universe
The Power of He-Man
Works
Space Attack Works
Star Strike Works
Super Challenge Baseball Loads up, but I have no idea how to work it
Super Challenge Football Loads up, but I have no idea how to work it
Tron Deadly Discs Works

Really, people here have far more than I have in my library, but I am willing to test any of these.

20240124_183031.thumb.JPG.3b54883763d1a4f272f48312036325ed.JPG20240124_183016.thumb.JPG.255636abc818087642216bafbce6c66e.JPG20240124_182954.thumb.JPG.87aa7e92b69a2a5050a5fe555d9b4007.JPG

Wow! That's a great collection of carts!

• Thanks 1

For some reason the AtariDumper is not recognizing my 2600+. I did the first update with no issue, but now this one isn't finding the console. TV Type is in B-W, holding the game reset switch when I power on, PC makes chime, but when I open the dumper it's sitting at Unrecognized.

5 minutes ago, TornadoTJ said:

For some reason the AtariDumper is not recognizing my 2600+. I did the first update with no issue, but now this one isn't finding the console. TV Type is in B-W, holding the game reset switch when I power on, PC makes chime, but when I open the dumper it's sitting at Unrecognized.

The same happened with mine. The first time it only seemed to work in 2.0 USB port. Now it works in 3.0 USB port. Thats in my case. Try different USB ports also make sure to use the cable that came with the console.

Edited by MrChickenz

4 minutes ago, TornadoTJ said:

The dumper is B&W + GAME SELECT.  The firmware RKDevTool is COLOR+GAME RESET.

• Like 3

Hi Ben and team,

Thank you for the update, Tower Toppler looks so much better now!  
I realize this update wasn’t focused on 2600 homebrew yet so I wasn’t surprised that HERO 2 still doesn’t work.   Do you have a HERO 2 cart available to you that you can test? Would you like to borrow mine? Or if you would have any specific updates you want me to try for this game just let me know!  I’m glad to help out. 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Burger Time Loads up, but does not seem to play

I also found that Astroblast works with paddle on the Plus, but not joystick.  On original hardware, it works with either controller.

After upgrading to the latest ROM Dumper 1.x.x.9 and firmware 1.1 beta, BurgerTime runs with no issue.  It didn't load with the original firmware.

Robot Tank now also runs with these updates, as does my Good Deal Games release 1-vs-1 Basketball.

All four of these carts are NTSC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LS650 said:

After upgrading to the latest ROM Dumper 1.x.x.9 and firmware 1.1 beta, BurgerTime runs with no issue.

It looks like the difficulty switch might act as a pause switch.  Once I moved the switch to the left, the game started playing.  So, Burger Time does work for me.

• Like 1

Just curious if the composite smoothing fix works on 7800 Missing In Action? The crashing issue may be similar to 7800 Crossbow.

I seem to remember that Crossbow was shipped on two different cart boards. C300565 and C100339. Maybe one is dumping correctly and the other is not working?

The 2600 Signal Tracing Cart does not show a screen or even have a ROM. It is only a circuit board with a few components designed to put certain signals on the bus so that testing/repairs can be made on a 2600 system board.

Mitch

• Like 3

Hi Ben,

When you have a free moment (I can tell your always working by your posts) can you see what's up with Kung Fu Master?

It was a game that passed compatibility but after trying on 2 different + consoles it has loads of issues.

The game starts up like it should.  But after a few seconds bugs start to tear their ugly head and it's totally random each time at when it happens

Some of the issues I've encountered:

The game will randomly reset

It will throw you on another floor when you're not even done with the one youre on

You'll get stuck in place.

You'll turn invisible (then the game will reset)

You'll teleport (really!) Through a floor before the game freezes

Oh and high scores which you didn't earn. This score was achieved in less than 15 seconds of starting! 

If you can figure this out, would be greatly appreciated! 

PXL_20240125_020445049.jpg

• Thanks 1

I find it interesting that people are having a lot of issues with coleco and m network games cause as far as I know all of mine are working last time I tested them which wasn't all that long ago Kool aid man worked fine mouse trap works fine carnival works fine I almost wonder if it's as much as a console by console basis issue as it is a software issue

2 hours ago, timmah1979 said:

Hi Ben,

When you have a free moment (I can tell your always working by your posts) can you see what's up with Kung Fu Master?

It was a game that passed compatibility but after trying on 2 different + consoles it has loads of issues.

The game starts up like it should.  But after a few seconds bugs start to tear their ugly head and it's totally random each time at when it happens

Some of the issues I've encountered:

The game will randomly reset

It will throw you on another floor when you're not even done with the one youre on

You'll get stuck in place.

You'll turn invisible (then the game will reset)

You'll teleport (really!) Through a floor before the game freezes

Oh and high scores which you didn't earn. This score was achieved in less than 15 seconds of starting! 

If you can figure this out, would be greatly appreciated! 

PXL_20240125_020445049.jpg

Try it on original hardware if it doesn't work there either than it's the cart with games this old it's something you have to take into account unfortunately seems the carts that have the higher failure rate are the cbs ram plus carts as I had a tunnel runner cart die on me nothing else has ever died on me yet tho

Thanks Ben and all. My PAL Pac-Man that arrived yesterday in the post now has ghosts that can be seen all the time. Although it was funny playing with invisible ghosts for a bit last night. My 11 year old son will pleased tonight when he gets home tonight from school. 

As a noob to this forum, can I just say I'm learning so much from all your posts. I'm learning so much about software engineering, how the atari works etc and although I'd never be able to do what some of you talented people can do, its so interesting watching and learning.

Now.. roll on pay day so I can get some more carts. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cody2000 said:

Try it on original hardware if it doesn't work there either than it's the cart with games this old it's something you have to take into account unfortunately seems the carts that have the higher failure rate are the cbs ram plus carts as I had a tunnel runner cart die on me nothing else has ever died on me yet tho

It was tested before I bought it on Monday and ran flawless