IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

41 minutes ago, ewokmic said:

This is probably totally unrelated but I'm sure someone knows the game better than me. Dodge Em' - I was finding it hard when I first got the 2600+. The opponent seems to start in a random track. Then after the first beta update I played again and started to learn the pattern and got pretty good at it, well at least managed to complete the course to the point there are two opponents. Now going back to it after the latest beta update it seems hard again. Like the opponent has a random start place but was not random after the first update? Perhaps I'm imagining it?

Did you try to change the difficulty switches?

In some releases the were flipped.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Did you try to change the difficulty switches?

In some releases the were flipped.

Oh I knew they got fixed with the first beta version but didn’t think about them going back with the latest. That might be it!

On 3/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, ForceInfinity said:

The cx21 is functionally the same as the kids controller (which includes several Sesame Street games released by Atari) and the keyboard controller (again used by several early Atari games). That entire class of games cannot be played on the 2600+

On 3/8/2024 at 12:13 PM, shane857 said:

A Game of Concentration
BASIC Programming
Brain Games
Codebreaker
Hunt & Score

Alpha Beam with Ernie
Big Bird's Egg Catch
Cookie Monster Munch
Grover's Music Maker
Monstercise
Oscar's Trash Race
Peek-a-Boo

Think there was an unreleased prototype Holey Moley that supported it also. 🤔

Perhaps I was misinformed. I had the impression that while the early keypad was "functionally" the same as the Touch Pad that came with Star Raiders, they were coded differently, and thus getting one to work with the 2600+ would not necessarily mean that the other works, as well.

Edited by NicodemusLegend

16 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Perhaps I was misinformed. I had the impression that while the early keypad was "functionally" the same as the Touch Pad that came with Star Raiders, they were coded differently, and thus getting one to work with the 2600+ would not necessarily mean that the other works, as well.

I haven’t sat down and tested it myself, but I’ve read from multiple sources that all three are electronically identical and that the only difference is the physical case each are in. 

• Like 3

I’ve suddenly had issues (since updating) with some homebrew games booting to black. They’re not showing “loading game failed,” rather, just going to a black screen.

Game of the Bear

Ninjaish Guy

Oozy the Goo: Slime Quest

My other AA games work fine (Amoeba Jump, Anguna, Medieval Mayhem, Spies of the Night, Panky, Reindeer Rescue, Saboteur, Sheep It Up, Tower of Rubble, Toyshop Trouble, Wall Jump Ninja).

I also haven’t noticed any standard 2600 games that stopped working.

Any tips for what may have changed? Thanks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jason Lee said:

I’ve suddenly had issues (since updating) with some homebrew games booting to black. They’re not showing “loading game failed,” rather, just going to a black screen.

Game of the Bear

Ninjaish Guy

Oozy the Goo: Slime Quest

My other AA games work fine (Amoeba Jump, Anguna, Medieval Mayhem, Spies of the Night, Panky, Reindeer Rescue, Saboteur, Sheep It Up, Tower of Rubble, Toyshop Trouble, Wall Jump Ninja).

I also haven’t noticed any standard 2600 games that stopped working.

Any tips for what may have changed? Thanks.

@Albert Ninjish Guy fails on 2600+?

It is on my list for next orders but I wait for the 2600+ compatible tag in the store🤔

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zero Hunter said:

So, when do we get the official firmware update and an easier way of updating the 2600+.

Sorry but the firmware update should be a lot simpler to do.

Thanks 

Just follow the instructions step by step and you should be good. I'm not a technical guy at all by any means but the steps if followed work well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering, if anyone backed up the original firmware before flashing 1.1 on the Atari2600 Plus...?

You only really need the original /oem partition, the rootfs never gets changed then you can make a img file that flashes the /oem partition only then its back to how the console was when it was released.

Edited by Spanner

10 minutes ago, Spanner said:

I was wondering, if anyone backed up the original firmware before flashing 1.1 on the Atari2600 Plus...?

You only really need the original /oem partition, the rootfs never gets changed then you can make a img file that flashes the /oem partition only then its back to how the console was when it was released.

Nick, I have a back up of the original image if you need it? 

5 minutes ago, mastic_man said:

Nick, I have a back up of the original image if you need it? 

Could sent it to me please in a PM...?

if not I can send you a link to upload it on One Drive.

Edited by Spanner

39 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Ben posted the original firmware and dumper on here, I have them downloaded too. I think they are in the first update thread.

EDIT:

Found them for you. :)

Edited by JetmanUK
Added link to original files
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Could sent it to me please in a PM...?

if not I can send you a link to upload it on One Drive.

Its still available here about half way down the page, if you have problems downloading it let me know and I will upload it bud 👍

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358796-atari-2600-beta-update-11/page/12/#comment-5377923

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Ben posted the original firmware and dumper on here, I have them downloaded too. I think they are in the first update thread.

EDIT:

Found them for you. :)

Thanks to all... :)

Edited by Spanner

16 hours ago, PoppaCAP said:

Just follow the instructions step by step and you should be good. I'm not a technical guy at all by any means but the steps if followed work well.

It works fine, I did it very often without issues.

There are two problems, how ever:

- You need Windows

- Driver installation

If you have Windows, once the driver got installed it is very easy to do the rest.

Driver install is tricky if a driver for Evercade got installed before, it needs to be removed first.

Windows 11 often does not detect the 2600+ as an unknown device, as in my case I had to install the driver by the .exe file, which is not recommended.

So, it is limited to Windows and the driver installation could be tricky, the rest works very well.

Anything else is related to USB ports and cables, as most cables today charge your phone but won't let any data pass!

• Thanks 2

On 3/10/2024 at 8:18 AM, DEANJIMMY said:

@Albert Ninjish Guy fails on 2600+?

It is on my list for next orders but I wait for the 2600+ compatible tag in the store🤔

I’ll say that all three games I mentioned, including Ninjish Guy, WORKED before I updated — and they also work on my old VCS.

That’s why I’m curious if any change could have impacted those games, but if I’m an outlier with those games not working, perhaps I’ll try the upgrade again and report back later in the week.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jason Lee said:

I’ll say that all three games I mentioned, including Ninjish Guy, WORKED before I updated — and they also work on my old VCS.

That’s why I’m curious if any change could have impacted those games, but if I’m an outlier with those games not working, perhaps I’ll try the upgrade again and report back later in the week.

Maybe try old dumper FW first, to check if it is related to the dumper or the SW🤔