IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

3 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Can someone explain, in detail, how using the aspect ratio switch would work to pause a game?

So I am playing a game and I want to pause the game.  I flip the aspect ratio switch and the game pauses (and the aspect ratio changes?).  Then then I flip it again when I want to unpause it?

But later I am playing a game and I just want to switch the aspect ratio... so I flip the aspect ratio switch and the aspect ratio changes but the game also pauses?  So how do I unpause?  If I flip the aspect ratio switch to unpause then I am back to my original aspect ratio.

How would this work and function properly with both pausing and switching aspect ratio separately?

Those switches can be programmed to do different functions. Just look at Space Shuttle.

3 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Can someone explain, in detail, how using the aspect ratio switch would work to pause a game?

So I am playing a game and I want to pause the game.  I flip the aspect ratio switch and the game pauses (and the aspect ratio changes?).  Then then I flip it again when I want to unpause it?

But later I am playing a game and I just want to switch the aspect ratio... so I flip the aspect ratio switch and the aspect ratio changes but the game also pauses?  So how do I unpause?  If I flip the aspect ratio switch to unpause then I am back to my original aspect ratio.

How would this work and function properly with both pausing and switching aspect ratio separately?

I explained my idea on how I suggest it could work a few comments back👍🏻 😊

If a Pause button could be done with an adapter, maybe as part of an extension cable, it could be an Atari peripheral that is sold separately.
I would think that this would be a motivation for Atari to develop the device as well as the firmware update to support it.

Just a thought

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StephenJ said:

If a Pause button could be done with an adapter, maybe as part of an extension cable, it could be an Atari peripheral that is sold separately.
I would think that this would be a motivation for Atari to develop the device as well as the firmware update to support it.

Just a thought

Not a bad compromise and doesn’t require a user accessible menu interface 👍

All the switches at the console can be used in a game. But should not be used. Because using switches just confuse an ordinary player who does not read the manual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

However, there is a much improved dumper and firmware version coming soon. There has been some movement today on it as we've been stuck for a few weeks on regresions that couldnt be explained, but the guys have just figured out whats gone wrong.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a new firmware release before end of this month! High hopes and expectations 🙂

• Like 4

On 5/18/2024 at 7:03 AM, karri said:

All the switches at the console can be used in a game. But should not be used. Because using switches just confuse an ordinary player who does not read the manual.

I would agree bar the fact that there’s a number of historic games that did this (Star Master and a number of the final 2600 releases use the B&W switch for something else - there’s no doubt loads more) and lots of games have game modes that require reading the manual to understand what’s going on. We even have a thread dedicated to the “read the manual to enjoy” games 😊.

How to communicate a change in functionality is the main problem, but if you’re enterprising enough to upgrade firmware I would think you’d have access to the release notes that come with it. Any subsequent console editions would have to have updated data sheets 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 3:33 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

If only I could just wave a magic wand and have these things resolved I would. I always think about what the hell I can do to make things better as quickly as possible...then I realise the guys Albert kindly introduced me to... Chris, Mike and Fred, these guys have no peers in their fields, have improved everything they have touched with the 2600+ and I just need to encourage further co-operation.

CHEERS! To Ben, Albert, Chris, Mike, Fred and to all others involved in making The Atari 2600+ a Lean, Mean Working Machine!

I’m enjoying the hell out of it!

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI TODAY!

IMG_0544.webp

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 12

Just a quick note here, the latest firmware and dumper landed this morning, lots of performance improvements to emulation and dumper process. 

Pitfall II now works. 

All those issues like missing sprites and glitching in games like Ms Pacman and Kangeroo at 50hz and 60hz, seem to me so far to be resolved.

PAL 50Hz especially feels now totally playable, nice and smooth gameplay. 

Thank you all people that have been involved and contributed.

Check it out at the below link

• Like 7
  • Thanks 13

On 5/23/2024 at 7:44 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Just a quick note here, the latest firmware and dumper landed this morning, lots of performance improvements to emulation and dumper process. 

Thank you for your continuing efforts! I look forward to testing this over the weekend. Fingers crossed for Medieval Mayhem working!

On 5/23/2024 at 10:14 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Pitfall II now works. 

All those issues like missing sprites and glitching in games like Ms Pacman and Kangeroo at 50hz and 60hz, seem to me so far to be resolved.

PAL 50Hz especially feels now totally playable, nice and smooth gameplay. 

Check it out at the below link

When does it change from experimental to official?

Also I lost my Atari USB cable, so will any data usb c cable work? I'm assuming so?

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 7:11 AM, m.o.terra kaesi said:

questions over questions: how can I make sure to buy an Atari2600+ with the newest firmware? (there is no way to tell from the box!)

You can't, you need to update it after you get it. the version you'd want to be running right now is called experimental anyway.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 6:11 AM, DhaemonX said:

Also I lost my Atari USB cable, so will any data usb c cable work? I'm assuming so?

I'm not using the cable in the box and it updates fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Magpieboy said:

Any word on if the current firmware update has included touch pad support, so that Star Raiders can be played properly.

It's not mentioned, so I don't think it supports it. I don't actually have a touchpad or that one game that actually uses it tho, so I couldn't test anyway. 

There's always Star Master. lol 

Edited by tradyblix

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 5:11 AM, DhaemonX said:

It was called experimental when a bunch of changes were made to the first version that changed the way it was compiled (PGO) and the way the video driver output worked, I guess. But at this point, it's just as stable, and behaves better, plays more games and has better performance, than the official release. You don't need to update if you don't actually have games you can't play tho, there's that. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:18 AM, tradyblix said:

It was called experimental when a bunch of changes were made to the first version that changed the way it was compiled (PGO) and the way the video driver output worked, I guess. But at this point, it's just as stable, and behaves better, plays more games and has better performance, than the official release. You don't need to update if you don't actually have games you can't play tho, there's that. 

I am waiting on the official release as well

On 5/23/2024 at 5:44 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Ben, so is this beta thread now dead, and should we transition over to the experimental thread for updates going forward?